Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Don't have the expansion, so my level cap is at 25. Maybe I'll do another playthrough at some point, since I skipped crafting completely this time.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I always see each and every character through to the bitter end, unless I decide to abort them particularly early.

Thinking back on my old tin can hammer guy playthrough, my current riot spear guy has been more capable and powerful all around, though notably less powerful than pre-nerf tin can AR guy. Of course, nothing can top stealth psi, then or now.

The next thing for me to try will be a sniper build, I think. I've never really played one; I aborted one before the game even hit v1.0. I didn't like it much at the time because it seemed to me that you blew your load early like a chump, then got raped whenever anything managed to catch up with you. Also, there are certain points (potentially two in GMS Compound alone) where you're inevitably forced into scripted close-range encounters.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why not? I haven't even finished the Protectorate/Free Drones quests and a couple minor ones. I went with the normal EXP for killing system, seems like it might be faster than the Oddity system.

EDIT: Oh and killing Death Stalkers gives a lot of XP each time. That alone probably got me a couple of levels.
Ah that's why. Yeah normal XP system levels you up really quick, I only play Odditty. Plus no expansion.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Burst with extra shots and extra damage can take care of almost anything. I also liked having the psychokinesis wall as a last ditch save in the most difficult fights.

For long range, the Dragunov sniper rifle seemed like the best choice due to 25 AP and being able to fire twice.

Tigranes

Arcane
AR is super overpowered, yes. Dragunov used to be even better, but it's still a great companion for any sniper.

The uniques for unarmed I felt were pretty lacklustre: Power Fist can be nice if you're STR oriented, but for DEX there's stuff like the Claw which might be nice if they weren't depreciated so quickly. Or, uh, Boxing Gloves...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The uniques for unarmed I felt were pretty lacklustre: Power Fist can be nice if you're STR oriented, but for DEX there's stuff like the Claw which might be nice if they weren't depreciated so quickly. Or, uh, Boxing Gloves...

Boxing Gloves are apparently best used as an off-hand meta item: Attack with main-hand weapon, then switch to the gloves for the Dodge bonus.

Anyway, I pretty much always just toss unique weapons into their own locker in the player house, since for some reason they're all unusably bad compared to anything crafted... except for Balor's Hammer, that is. If you can wield that one, then you're going to fuck some shit up.

In my opinion, most if not all of the unique weapons should all be fantastic in some niche way, but instead they're mostly mediocre. Shame and a waste.

ciox

Liturgist

Boxing Gloves are apparently best used as an off-hand meta item: Attack with main-hand weapon, then switch to the gloves for the Dodge bonus.

Anyway, I pretty much always just toss unique weapons into their own locker in the player house, since for some reason they're all unusably bad compared to anything crafted... except for Balor's Hammer, that is. If you can wield that one, then you're going to fuck some shit up.

In my opinion, most if not all of the unique weapons should all be fantastic in some niche way, but instead they're mostly mediocre. Shame and a waste.
I never could figure out why most uniques so closely match the properties of crafted weapons, sometimes with a tiny change here and there.
The explanation might be that they're usually kind of just peppered around in lockers and fairly easy to get without skillpoint investments.

Oh well, supposedly they will be buffed and the devs also like the idea of them having Fallout 2 style upgrades for cash https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=3443.0

In an ideal world those upgrades would make the uniques truly unique, and maybe restore some of the charming "glitches" like Dragunov having no STR requirement.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a great idea for uniques to offer something of craftable bonuses for a non-crafting character, but (1) crafting's such a good investment of skillpoints you're going to have it, (2) they're so tuned down that they're objectively bad for most characters most of the time.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
i love dude's new quest so much. it's like Underrail and that movie, the Hangover had a kid. the pixel hunting in dude's city house is kinda frustrating tho.

hell bovine

Arcane
I've dabbled in persuasion with my Scientist just for RP after a string of no-Pers characters, and... honestly, I'd say it's a waste of points from any kind of minmaxing standpoint. It's worth having of course if you want to roleplay and see that content, but there's not a huge amount there.
From what I recall persuading them to let Buzzer go is necessary if you want the best outcome with the faceless in DC.

Wunderbar

Arcane
From what I recall persuading them to let Buzzer go is necessary if you want the best outcome with the faceless in DC.
you can just let them kill Buzzer.

And on my first playthrough i've killed that Faceless boss, but still got the best outcome (they gave me some supplies and allowed me to take Lora Baker to SGS).

hell bovine

Arcane
you can just let them kill Buzzer.

And on my first playthrough i've killed that Faceless boss, but still got the best outcome (they gave me some supplies and allowed me to take Lora Baker to SGS).
Did they share all their info too?

Though letting them kill Buzzer might be easier, I recall persuasion was bugged at some point when they game came out.

Blackmill

Scholar
Has any one used spirit poison traps/knives? Any good or is the doppleganger basically what you get from bilocation with low thought control?

Tigranes

Arcane
Seems like Acid pistols can be effective against stone orcs. Entanglement works, and the acid does decent damage - and a scientist can follow up with laser pistol crits too.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Are there any ways to increase crit chance? The shotgun is ridiculous when it crits, especially the way I'm building it, and if I can get my crit chance to around 50%, the damage output will be ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, does each pellet have its own roll for whether or not it crits?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Are there any ways to increase crit chance? The shotgun is ridiculous when it crits, especially the way I'm building it, and if I can get my crit chance to around 50%, the damage output will be ridiculous.

https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Survival_Instincts

If you have big balls and no brain :)

Edit: https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardcore_Chips

Start crunching :)

Edit 2: Recklessness and Scrutinous Or Ambush

Last edited:

Seeker goggles give you up to 19% crit chance (though it'll be hard finding ones of that high quality, and you'll need pretty high electronics to make them).
Focus stim drug gives you +15%. Takes 50 biology to make, but they use common ingredients so they're easy to mass produce. They also last a minute so they barely ever run out before fights are over, even if you use them ahead of combat.
Infused rathound (regular rathound, not ancient) leather armour gives you a bonus. 100 quality is worth +8%. 120 quality is worth +10%. 155 quality is worth +13%.
Core chips give you +2%. Hardcore chips give you +5% but also make it more likely for enemies to crit you.
Recklessness feat gives you +7% but makes it more likely for enemies to crit you. Body Horror feat gives you +3% against non insect animals. Scrutinous feat gives you +7% with no drawback but needs level 26. Pellet mayhem gives you +3% per enemy hit with your shotgun (but the bonus resets per shot, so you need to keep hitting multiple enemies every time you fire for it to be worthwhile). Ambush gives you a huge crit chance bonus but it requires the lighting on both you and the enemy to be right, which can be hard since shotgun optimal range is pretty short. Survival Instincts also gives you a massive bonus but it needs very high constitution to take and only works when you're at low health.
Psychostatic Electricity feat means electric psi abilities increase the chance for enemies to be crit every time you hit them, but that's way too much effort. Energy pistols with polariser are the same story.

I think that's everything. If we assume you use seeker goggles worth 15% then focus stim+hardcore chips already gets you to 39/40% crit chance without having to give up anything important. That's enough to make vindicator/despot pretty nice already. If you can afford to take the feats or use rathound leather then it just gets better.
Each pellet does crit individually. Look at the combat log, it'll say x/y pellets crit when you shoot.

hell bovine

Arcane

Chips, focus stim, rathound leather, goggles, feats: pellet mayhem, recklessness and survival instincts. Imo the agile, mobile shotgunner is easier than tin can, unless you go temporal.

Edit: Spark Mandriller
Ambush description says "single-target ranged weapon", so I don't think it triggers on shotguns.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I think the distinction is between weapons that must be aimed at one specific target in order to be used at all, and weapons that can be aimed at a grid square whether or not there's a target present, i.e. AoE weapons. The latter are pretty much always grenades or psi powers.

Are shotguns AoE-targeted or do you have to aim at a specific enemy? I wouldn't know, haven't even used one yet.

Blackmill

Scholar
I think the distinction is between weapons that must be aimed at one specific target in order to be used at all, and weapons that can be aimed at a grid square whether or not there's a target present, i.e. AoE weapons. The latter are pretty much always grenades or psi powers.

Are shotguns AoE-targeted or do you have to aim at a specific enemy? I wouldn't know, haven't even used one yet.

You aim at a specific enemy. Though it would be nice to see the cone of fire. I'm sometimes left wondering if I didn't hit secondary targets because they were outside the cone of fire or random chance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom