Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Perkel

Arcane
Ehh after spending some time with GD i think i am done with it.
My main issue is level scaling. It is absolutely retarded in this game and effectively blocks you from playing build which aren't meta. The second issue is number bloat. Divinity this ain't but this is not far of from it.

Case in point. I started yesterday build just for fun to kind of play like D2 paladin with Iron Thorns + i wanted to use mostly common items. Effect ? The more leveling i do the weaker i get. Areas i use for grinding (as challenge has risen) get more hard everytime i return and my goal of increasing my power to beat actual next obstacle is actually distancing from me. I get actually penalized for not following meta.

I hope there will be mod that would remove level scaling from game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Level scaling is reasonable on normal/veteran. You can't expect to not have infinite level scaling if you begin from level 1 on Ultimate. I've never felt penalized for not playing a meta build. I even think a retaliation build like you are describing IS a meta build, but don't quote me on that, I haven't checked their forums for a while. It was one of the most absurdly overpowered builds at one point.

Hyperion

Arcane
Forgotten Gods made Retaliation Builds, which were already extremely powerful against anything non-ranged, more powerful and gave them the ability to kill ranged enemies in a reasonable amount of time by adding the '% of retaliation damage added' to skills, so they don't really have a glaring weakness anymore.

Your described problem is more leveling much faster than you obtain useful gear, something that occurs in most ARPGs, but because of the level scaling in EVERY area, gets magnified. Especially if you're doing an Ultimate-only run - which I highly recommend because the game is just too goddamn bloated with content now.

RoBoBOBR

Arcane
Patron
Retaliation builds aren't that good, because ranged damage wont trigger retaliation, and even some melee abilities wont as well.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Retaliation builds aren't that good, because ranged damage wont trigger retaliation, and even some melee abilities wont as well.

New class has some good skills for ret.style play. Both shield throw and charge can be modified with ret.damage which is more than enough for killing pesky ranged dudes. That build was one of my most fun and easy ultimate builds.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So with ret build (which I assume is oathkeeper/soldier) do you focus on one damage channel? I guess the basics are: stack as much ret sources as possible + stack as much survivability as possible. Kinda sucks that oathkeeper's basic set is focused on acid.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So with ret build (which I assume is oathkeeper/soldier) do you focus on one damage channel? I guess the basics are: stack as much ret sources as possible + stack as much survivability as possible. Kinda sucks that oathkeeper's basic set is focused on acid.

I also got some bleed and int.tra.damage from gear and skills. Every little bit helps.

bloodlover

Arcane
Epic bump: Is this worth buying these days? I read somewhere on Steam that they officially stopped patching or adding DLC to the game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Epic bump: Is this worth buying these days? I read somewhere on Steam that they officially stopped patching or adding DLC to the game.
From what I understand, Path of Exile is the ARPG to play nowadays, being free to play and getting new league updates every few months. I've rather enjoyed Grim Dawn + the expansions though. I certainly don't regret the purchase.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Grim Dawn is probably the best hack and slasher of all time. If you like this sort of game (I usually don't, but I love Grim Dawn, so that's worth something and I've stuck with it since Early Access), you'll find some content you'll enjoy, be it the randomly generated dungeons (it sounds worse than it is), story content, the Crucible arena, the roguelike static dungeons, Super Boss runs, and other things. It also features an insane number of class combinations and playstyles, so once you get bored with something, there are other characters and builds to try which are always viable because you have so many different content options. I think the last patch was actually quite recently. But this isn't an online game, you shouldn't expect to have constant updates like Path of Exile.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Grim Dawn is alright. Even if they never add anything new to it there is still a lot of things to do as a new player getting into it right now and then there's the modding scene, though I don't know how active it is. My biggest issue with the game is that most builds feel really samey in gameplay, with the only difference being better or worse performance in the combat calculations. This is why I don't have any desire to go back and replay GD ever again. But as a new player there's a lot to sink your teeth in, so why not get it if you like ARPGs and can get this one on sale.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
There are even mods that porten Titan Quest class/skill trees to this game making its somewhat of 2 classes combination of out 20 different classes available.

The amount of shit you try around are fun in this game.

Hyperion

Arcane
Be wary of trying the Titan Quest skill trees. They're adapted for 50 points instead of 32, and have had additional abilities added to compensate. Others were merged into a single ability with passive modifiers to try to fit the balance of GD.

In doing so they are completely, and utterly fucking broken. Storm, for example, gets a Whirlwind ability that does Lightning / Cold damage, and has another ability that obliterates enemy Lightning Resist pretty much passively, a health battery at low life, a Lightning / Cold damage aura with Damage Conversion and FLAT damage, and an Exclusive Aura that gives damage boosts. The sheer amount of self-sufficiency in one tree is absurd, so that the entire 2nd tree can be used for nothing but survivability.

Played from 1-100 on Ultimate and completely steamrolled the game. Can't even remember my 2nd tree with that guy, but it was too strong, and did more damage with a Spear + Shield than GD classes can do dual wielded or 2h.

Edit: Forgot to mention this was also using the Grimarillion mod with Quadruple Enemy and Hero Spawns. Every pack would have 8-12 Heroes in it, with multiple copies of all bosses except for the major Quest / Act bosses. Nothing was a threat.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Depends of what you want, long term support, multiplayer focused game? Better go for Path of Exile. Want solid Diablo clone to play single player ? Pretty good, recommend.

Perkel

Arcane
playing atm.

I think i got finally what made game worse for me. Campaign. It is simply bleh. Once i focused on those random roguelike dungeons and shatered realms game became more interesting.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
and it received new update already

6000 changes to the items, new roguelike dungeon in Forgotten Gods and much more

was looking for some more tanky build, delaying new game after recent wall hit with AAR build on Ultimate was good idea....

Max Damage

Savant
So, I revisited this game 1 year later, and I see why I never bothered to finish Elite. Holy fuck does this game love turning every single boss fight into multiminute slogfest. The thing northeast of Homestead took forever to kill in its first form, THEN it took forever to kill again in second one. Same shit with hive queen, except I also died 2 times because it hits like truck and doesn't give a shit about 46% poison resistance. This bullshit makes Duriel from Diablo 2 look like well designed fight by comparison. It's not even like my character is a gimp, my Purifier does assload of damage to everything, and has pretty good defenses/lifesteal/heal/regen. I can't imagine playing this game with untwinked melee build when ranged has THIS much trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom