Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cancelled NWN premium module Tyrants of the Moonsea completed and released by Ossian after 13 years

laclongquan

Arcane
Aaaah Mysteries of Westgate~

The only official expansion of NWN2 that I dont play.

It is the living proof that DRM schemes can bite you for a long long time~

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Debunked by none other than Ed Greenwood, but what the hell would he know, he only invented the fucking setting.

Just like J. K. Rowling now claims that half the characters of her books are gay, its called virtue signalling.

Sure there is magic that can change gender or even turn person into another species, even in the first BG there is a cursed item that changes your gender. This kind of things are can be found in the setting, what is out of place is when you come to a person and ask for its name it immediately tells you its life story that his parents raised her as a boy but she identifiers as a girl. It feels out of place because it is, and the only reason why it is in the game is because certain person wanted to push an agenda.

If there are trannies in the FR world, they would never even tell anyone about it. They'd just go to a wizard to change their sex with a spell, then be a woman, and nobody would be able to tell.

That whole situation in Dragonspear was unrealistic as fuck.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
I enjoyed Darkness over Daggerford and The Shadow Sun (one of the best mobile RPGs), so I will buy this to support Ossian. Please port The Shadow Sun to PC next.

A PC port of a 6 year old mobile game? Do you think that would sell? I'm curious. I've considered the idea myself.

Probably not, but it's a good enough RPG that it doesn't deserve to be condemned to mobile. The Quest had decent PC sales for what it's worth.

I think what I'd really like is to develop an isometric RPG in The Shadow Sun setting.

:takemymoney:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Would buy for NWN: Diamond Edition but I dont want to give money to Beamdog.

Why is that?
I can't speak for anyone else but for me it comes down to two reasons, the first of which being that they don't create original content, instead they simply hike up the prices of old products that worked perfectly fine before they came along and removed the orignals from sale. The second reason being their ineptitude, they have actually managed to make the "remastered" versions worse than the original software. From introducing bugs to Baldur's Gate and changing its cinematics into powerpoint slideshows to wrecking the balance in Icewind Dale by introducing new classes and doing absolutely nothing with NWN to warrant the "EE" title it has been an absolute shitshow. So all in all their "remasters" have been a bad deal for customers. That they also introduced terrible radical neoliberal politics into their single original product and shat all over their audience also did nothing to help their public image.

If you could release this module for the original game, which I do have in my possession, then I would buy it since I have had nothing but good experiences with Ossian before. But seeing as how the original game isn't for sale anymore I doubt you could, even if porting it would be very easy and basically cost nothing.

My real life the last few years would make a fine grimdark novel.
Your personal life is obviously your own business, but since you brought it up, what makes you say that? Anyhing you'd be willing to share?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Behead Beamdog! I have to agree though that these remasters are pretty bad, or at least the only one I attempted to play seriously was (NWN EE) before throwing my hands up and saying, "A game like this from the Middle Ages of Gamers shouldn't be full of microstutter in this day and age."

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If Ossian or some other enterprising individuals wanted to make some original content for NWN in 2019, I'd drop some dollars on it.

Let the Premium module store set sail like it was always meant to.

gulagdandy

Novice
I won't comment on the politics of said "agenda," but I will say it is unwise to bite the hand that feeds you and indirectly shame your customer base while disrespecting a classic IP any RPG writer would love to work with. Unfortunately, the individual involved was previously Beamdog's publicist (?!) and acted without sufficient oversight. It happens in a small organization where the leads have a million things on their plates. I'd cut them some slack. Besides, the last two titles have been Ossian-developed, and to quote myself on the topic:

I've little interest in extreme politics and none in inserting them in to the games and novels I write unless they serve the world-building. My focus when writing is to deliver the best story possible and, if applicable, to fully respect the IP with which I've been entrusted. That does not include changing character personalities or inserting hot-button social issues into settings in which they do not make a great deal of sense. So long as I'm writing for Ossian, this will remain the case.

So trans people existing is extreme politics, gotcha.

I dont support developers who cram transsexual characters into a fantasy game devoid of such things just to push their agenda.

And by cramming I guess you mean there being any mention at all of trans characters, right?

cutterjohn

Cipher
I enjoyed Darkness over Daggerford and The Shadow Sun (one of the best mobile RPGs), so I will buy this to support Ossian. Please port The Shadow Sun to PC next.

A PC port of a 6 year old mobile game? Do you think that would sell? I'm curious. I've considered the idea myself.

Probably not, but it's a good enough RPG that it doesn't deserve to be condemned to mobile. The Quest had decent PC sales for what it's worth.

I think what I'd really like is to develop an isometric RPG in The Shadow Sun setting.
And The Quest is POSTIVELY ANCIENT! I remember playing it on a Palm, along with a similar one(1st person part dungeon crawler) which is even a bit older as that one I was playing on a IIIx(or at least the first one, IIRC it was called Dragon something or other as that and Haven(? from gasgorf games?) were oddly enough about the only decent RPGs on early Palms although some crazy people did some decent work on porting rogue, larn, and IIRC moria to them (I looked at the code hackeries and it gave me nightmares...)

As to the tranny shit, looks like only dragon poker or whatever it's called(which I had to google up) as even w/o trannies it sounded like sorry ass shit with an absolutely idiotic price..

Crimson Tides of Tethy that was cancelled as well? Is the 'unfinished' one on the vault(apparently?) finishable?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

No, extreme politics is turning transexualism into something normal and then normalizing sex change of underage children.

And by cramming I guess you mean there being any mention at all of trans characters, right?

Yes I don't want that in my games. I want to go on adventures, kill dragons and find great artifacts.

And while doing that I don't want anyone to shove in my face vile current year politics.

The Red Knight

Erudite
You need NWN: Enhanced Edition to play the new Tyrants campaign. The old, 1.69 versions of Tyrants (and Daggerford) is still freely available on the Vault.
Probably everyone and their dog has the original or diamond edition here because of CD Projekt republishing them a dozen of times across the years, including bundling it with NWN2 at least once, and I'd hazard a guess that the majority of NWN owners on GOG bought it there before EE rolled in. What important features of the completed module make it incompatible with non-EE versions and require purchasing the game for the 2nd/3rd/4th time?

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
I won't comment on the politics of said "agenda," but I will say it is unwise to bite the hand that feeds you and indirectly shame your customer base while disrespecting a classic IP any RPG writer would love to work with. Unfortunately, the individual involved was previously Beamdog's publicist (?!) and acted without sufficient oversight. It happens in a small organization where the leads have a million things on their plates. I'd cut them some slack. Besides, the last two titles have been Ossian-developed, and to quote myself on the topic:

I've little interest in extreme politics and none in inserting them in to the games and novels I write unless they serve the world-building. My focus when writing is to deliver the best story possible and, if applicable, to fully respect the IP with which I've been entrusted. That does not include changing character personalities or inserting hot-button social issues into settings in which they do not make a great deal of sense. So long as I'm writing for Ossian, this will remain the case.

No. The implementation of a trans person in Dragonspear was poor. That's not a commentary on the politics themselves: It's a writing quality issue. What I consider extreme politics is my own business and none of yours.

The infamous Kotaku interview was a disaster for Beamdog and a head-scratching misstep for someone who had previously worked as a publicist. This is independent of whether one agrees with the sentiments expressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
. From introducing bugs to Baldur's Gate and changing its cinematics into powerpoint slideshows to wrecking the balance in Icewind Dale by introducing new classes and doing absolutely nothing with NWN to warrant the "EE" title it has been an absolute shitshow

Beamdog does completely opposite of what they should be doing. Goal of anyone tasked with preserving history or art is too preserve it with minimal changes done to the original. Any changes allowed are only those that can be classified as absolutely needed repairs. What Beamdog is doing is an equivalent of an art conservator who drawn his own characters into Sistine Chapel and changed the color of a sky.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Just wanted to say that Jack's avatar is pretty awesome - HPL in modern guise courtesy of photoshop, right? If it's not HPL in modern guise courtesy of Photoshop and an actual photo of you- well, I just want to say "Ooops!"

Mortmal

Arcane
Beamdog did a pretty good siege of dragon spear thats a decent Baldur's gate 1.5, well yes except some awful wirting bits and forcing me to give my gold to refugees...I dont have any grudge versus them but is there a real reason to buy nwn enhanced what does it bring base nwn game cant do ? I'd happily buy the module if it was available on your site and compatible with the normal version like i did for the first module years ago . I dont fall for cash grabs, dont see why i should pay for the same game twice.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
. From introducing bugs to Baldur's Gate and changing its cinematics into powerpoint slideshows to wrecking the balance in Icewind Dale by introducing new classes and doing absolutely nothing with NWN to warrant the "EE" title it has been an absolute shitshow

Beamdog does completely opposite of what they should be doing. Goal of anyone tasked with preserving history or art is too preserve it with minimal changes done to the original. Any changes allowed are only those that can be classified as absolutely needed repairs. What Beamdog is doing is an equivalent of an art conservator who drawn his own characters into Sistine Chapel and changed the color of a sky.

Even though I agree with your point of view I think a good solutions would have been repairing the BG series and after that starting a new Master Branch with their own interpretation of the BG series.
I bet they could still do that, but I don`t think they will, because there is no money in doing so.
Nevertheless an image polishing could help Beamdog greatly!

At the moment I do not grant Beamdog the oversight of the BG series!

Even though I agree with your point of view I think a good solutions would have been repairing the BG series and after that starting a new Master Branch with their own interpretation of the BG series.
I bet they could still do that, but I don`t think they will, because there is no money in doing so.
Nevertheless an image polishing could help Beamdog greatly!

At the moment I do not grant Beamdog the oversight of the BG series!

I am pretty sure that in the future when preserving video games becomes a normal branch of art conservation Beamdog will become an example of how not to do it.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You are taking the discussion into a wrong direction, let's say I do a cyberpunk game and I decide to add a transsexual character, now that makes sense because you are talking of a modern setting and you assume time continuation from modern days but even on a modern setting, a person coming with "Hi, I'm a trans person and this is my history." after a stranger asking who that person is, it is extremely bad writing and virtue signaling.

Sorry, I'm against bad writing, doesn't matter the intention of the author, even if he thinks he will save the planet with this work, if his writing is bad, to the garbage must go. There is an old concept on fiction writing, the idea of the author self insertion and boy this is fucking bad wherever it happens, whatever the intentions of the writer were, most cases are authors making Mary Sue character that are just projections of fantasy of power from the author, other times are writers forcing characters to do things they never would do to force a plot point work and the list of writer mistakes on fiction goes on and on, the latest fashion of author self insertions is the cramming of personal causes on the most brutish, hackish and random way possible.

If you want to include a trans, you need to first make a discussion about sexuality on that setting, without that, it is impossible, are trans accepted? Are trans persecuted? How culture deals with sex change? How culture deals with sex? How culture deals with gender? How not to make that a fucking boring an unoriginal copy of modern life? How that fits on the fantasy institutions you are creating? And nope, some particular author virtue signaling on twitter (and out of the products he made) years later when the actual setting he made doesn't have an extensive discussion about it doesn't count.

I read a few attempts of including this kind of modern issues on DnD and Pathfinder before and all of those attempts sounded so fake, people doing stuff like having robot races not wishing to be misgendered without actually bothering to explain how that is even possible (the mind of a robot is different from a human being on that context) and this case is just another example of that. You have the problem of people been running DnD for years so they already developed their expectations on the setting AND the people trying to include this modern issues stuff show so little care and respect, their irrational hatred towards those bigots they see everywhere blinds them to the necessity of a bare minimum decent discussion on this.

I don't think most people would have a problem with people doing their new setting with trans characters and whatever but it is delusional to imagine you won't suffer resistance of including that stuff on the most hackish way possible on a setting that is running since the 80's.

mondblut

Arcane
Would buy for NWN: Diamond Edition but I dont want to give money to Beamdog.

Why is that?

I dont support developers who cram transsexual characters into a fantasy game devoid of such things just to push their agenda.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, NWN: Enhanced Edition is currently 75% off in the Steam Daily Deal.

How long until one of the usual suspects reports this to REEEEera?

I wonder which "progressive" charity Beamdog likes the most. ISIS? Another child castration fund? Brianna Wu's presidential campaign?

jewboy

Arbiter
So Tyrants is 100% tranny-free? If there were a box that should be on it. Hope someone writes at least a short review of this. I have no idea what to expect.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Yep, their enhanced editions diminish the value of the games they enhance, when they create new content, they don't do much better than vandalism. What they had done with BG 1, removing the intro and adding that god awful slide show or the terrible content they added to BG 2 that literally is sub Bioware fan fiction SJW drivel, I would never play BG 2 enhanced just to not have the hassle of having to identify the low quality work of Bumdog to avoid it.

Corvinus

Arcane
Here is another restoration of equal quality. A picture says more than a thousand words.

7130038.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom