Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Black Angel

Arcane
Instead of the hollow-gear only run I had imagined I'm running child mask, grass crest shield on the back, zweihander, havels ring & whatever armour I feel pretty in for the moment.
Change child mask to dad's mask instead, upgrade and ascend your zwei to chaos path, and get giant's set for everything else as armor.

Also raise DEX to 10, but DON'T TELL ANY1 YOU LEVELED THAT UP, u fuckign faggot

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
What is the best Soulslike / DS inspired game?

I played Salt & Sanctuary (good) and Lords of the Fallen (meh).

Is 'Sinner' any good? Or 'Shattered - Tale of the forgotten King'?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'd say "dark souls" 3 is a mediocre, but entertaining souls-like game. Definitely check it out.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nioh is seconded. It's a good game that will scratch the Souls itch but at the same time offers something new.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Thanks guys - I meant games outside of the 'official', From Soft games though.

Will check out Nioh!

Depends what you like about Soulslikes. Nioh combat is fantastic but the story and vibe is garbage and the Diablo-loot system is not for everyone.

The closest non-From Souls copy is Lords of the Fallen. I fucking love it, others hate it, just check some videos and see for yourself. The same studio made Surge, a sci-fi Soulsike. I fucking hate it but again, check for yourself. There is also Ashen which is a genuinely great Soulslike but it has stylized graphix, sadly, and is an Epic exclusive. Darksiders 3 are goofy and over the top but I think it's a solid Soulslike.

cruel

Cipher
What made you love LotF but hate The Surge?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What made you love LotF but hate The Surge?

Love LotF combat, vibe, aesthetics, builds, levels, the world.

The only thing I kindda liked about Surge is the combat but they didn't understand that in a Soulsike with constantly respawning mobs basic bitch enemies must die fast. They can kill you fast but they must die fast too. In Surge mobs take fucking ages to beat down which is a huge downer for me.

Also I like the basic world structure - unlike later From games you don't get "bonfires" every 10 steps, in Surge they are rare and the world is riddled with shortcuts. That's great. Everything else - aesthetics, mob variety, level variety, bosses, vibe, story is complete garbage.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Mh, I found this one, OmniFootman

and put it on my wishlist.

Dead Cells

looks interesting and has great ratings, but when I watch gameplay footage, it always seems like a visual mess where it's hard to keep track of what's happening.

Gloom

is on offer, seems interesting, but sound and especially gameplay don't look like fun.

I'll keep searching, thanks for your help guys.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah I didn't include the Metroidvanias like S&S, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells etc. A lot of people love them and objectively they're apparently great games but I just can't into them to save my life. Just can't.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Has anyone tried the Ascension mod? It looks pretty fucking absurd from a flick through a video I watched. There's a considerably greater amount of variety when it comes to arms and armour, since almost every single piece of equipment in the game usually has some enchantment on it (carry weight, health regen (yes really), damage reduction on low HP, etc), and you'll probably need it, since it also speeds up both you and the enemies (have fun relearning parry times), along with tweaking placement and adding extra ones. The video I saw was by a guy with literally thousands of hours put into Dark Souls, yet I think he took an hour or so just to escape the asylum. He started out with a nice armour set and the gargoyle axe thing, but the asylum has a black knight and vagrants lurking around, so that should give you an idea of the sort of insanity you can expect.

praetor

Arcane
Has anyone tried the Ascension mod? It looks pretty fucking absurd from a flick through a video I watched. There's a considerably greater amount of variety when it comes to arms and armour, since almost every single piece of equipment in the game usually has some enchantment on it (carry weight, health regen (yes really), damage reduction on low HP, etc), and you'll probably need it, since it also speeds up both you and the enemies (have fun relearning parry times), along with tweaking placement and adding extra ones. The video I saw was by a guy with literally thousands of hours put into Dark Souls, yet I think he took an hour or so just to escape the asylum. He started out with a nice armour set and the gargoyle axe thing, but the asylum has a black knight and vagrants lurking around, so that should give you an idea of the sort of insanity you can expect.

Lobos?

i saw part of the first stream, and skimmed through the 3rd. looks like an unbalanced clusterfuck of a modders shitfest. by the time he got to O&S he had nearly 3k HP, something like 1,2-1,4k phys resist armour, and a weapon so powerful he literally killed S in 2 hits, and big O in 3. i don't think i've seen a worse mod

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Lobos?

i saw part of the first stream, and skimmed through the 3rd. looks like an unbalanced clusterfuck of a modders shitfest. by the time he got to O&S he had nearly 3k HP, something like 1,2-1,4k phys resist armour, and a weapon so powerful he literally killed S in 2 hits, and big O in 3. i don't think i've seen a worse mod

Yeah that one. I didn't realise it got that ridiculous later on. Someone was clearly doing some mad drugs when they made that. I guess it works if you wanted to make a version of Dark Souls that got easier instead of harder.

Beggar

Cipher
Re-running this game time and time again just to once again try different weapons throughout the PvE.

No matter what youtube videos say, the best weapon in the game is Black Knight Halberd.
Runner-up: Black Knight Sword.
Honorable mention: Halberd.

You can get any of those two the beginning of the game and upgrade to max at the beginning of the game. It's the best for the most efficient playthrough. Any other opinion and information is completely irrelevant and false.

yellowcake

Arcane
I've started it for the first time couple of days ago (PtD edition, 30FPS, controller). Haven't ever played any other such game before. Undead burg boss two shot me and I made like 5% dent in his HP bar :negative:

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I've started it for the first time couple of days ago (PtD edition, 30FPS, controller). Haven't ever played any other such game before. Undead burg boss two shot me and I made like 5% dent in his HP bar :negative:
When you fought him enough times that you think you have a chance, use the gold resin you find in the house before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom