Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Curratum

Forgot to mention my hardware:

i5 3.2 ghz, RX 570 4gb, 8 gigs of ram. I last tested this on an ancient i3 and an R9 380 and was struggling to hold 45 fps on medium details at 900p. Now I'm on a 1080p monitor.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Since we would have more likely opted for Unreal, were UE4 available back in the day, it is true we were investigating the possibilities of the engine after KCD release.
We also investigated Lumberyard, CryEngine V, and re-investigated Unity.
But that is only natural. Results? Won't tell you, obviously.

But you are right. All the effort we burned on the KCD tech is a big part of the equation.
Have you thought about building your own engine?
Sure. That is always an option. A very very bad option nowadays. Unless you have about half a billion dolla bills and don't mind wasting 4 years on tech alone.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer

i5 3.2 ghz, RX 570 4gb, 8 gigs of ram. I last tested this on an ancient i3 and an R9 380 and was struggling to hold 45 fps on medium details at 900p. Now I'm on a 1080p monitor.
Seems like a decent rig for 30+ fps. maybe just update you ram to 16g or more and install the game on SSD, if possible.

Curratum

Seems like a decent rig for 30+ fps. maybe just update you ram to 16g or more and install the game on SSD, if possible.

I was hoping for 45, 30+ sounds a little scary.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I know I'm a few hundred pages late, but has this been patched to a more stable, less buggy and somewhat better performing state compared to launch week?

I have money floating in a wallet from a refund and it's just about enough to buy the DLC-included version of this. I love freeroaming, I love beautiful landscapes, if the actual game is good, this will be a bonus.
I can only speak about my own experience obviously, but I am playing it now, 70 hours in and I had like two bugs (one that I could not zoom a map in rattay - that fixed itself hour later, and one where I fell into the ground in the forest and had to reload). No quest bugs, no significant glitching, nothing. If the game came out in this state it would probably be hailed as more polished than Witcher 3 (let alone anything from Bethesda).
But, I still haven't played any DLCs and I am proably only about 30% through the main story (I am about to do Nest of Vipers).

As your hardware is concerned, prepare that with i5, you will get around 40fps in populated areas. The game requires 8 core for 60fps.
Rest of your PC should be fine for medium-high mix in 1080p.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Something to keep in mind is your users with old intel CPUs (from 2016 or older) and/or on Win7 will have software mitigation of Spectre and Meltdown which slows them down a lot. My i5-2500k on win7 absolutely choked on KCD until I disabled Win7s Spectre/Meltdown mitigation.

You probably don't want to recommend that to users, but FYI.

source

Last edited:

Efe

Erudite
you are given a low level theresa and proceed to murder dozens of cumans.
you tell me how that sounds

Modron

Arcane
you are given a low level theresa and proceed to murder dozens of cumans.
you tell me how that sounds
That's only half the expansion though (the whole Madonna of Sasau Henry quest is better), plus you could get away with not killing any Cuman if you cut out the window during the raid and had a few bandages you wouldn't experience any combat at all outside of maybe that optional wolf sidequest.

Curratum

Something to keep in mind is your users with old intel CPUs (from 2016 or older) and/or on Win7 will have software mitigation of Spectre and Meltdown which slows them down a lot. My i5-2500k on win7 absolutely choked on KCD until I disabled Win7s Spectre/Meltdown mitigation.

You probably don't want to recommend that to users, but FYI.

source

I don't even know what this is. I've been using an unupdated version of Win7 dating back to something like late 2009 for 10 years now.

Efe

Erudite
you should update bios and windows up to spectre fix though.
this tool lets you check whether u have those patches or not

Curratum

you should update bios and windows up to spectre fix though.
this tool lets you check whether u have those patches or not

0pK8r2p.jpg

Guess I'm fine...

SlamDunk

Arcane
Gamescom interview.

Creators of Kingdom Come About Petting Dogs, Mods, and Pissing Against the Wind - GamePressure
GamePressure said:
Are you going to use the same engine for the potential sequel?

We're not planning to change anything – simply because we made so many tools and so many things with the engine, adjusted it. It was never used for any RPGs before we did it. We did so much with the engine that we are afraid that changing it would mean starting from the beginning. And if you think of how long we needed to make the engine work for KCD before we could just start to... work with it – just too long. And hope on a good cooperation with Crytek.
GamePressure said:
We had big ambitions, and our Kickstarter said “large scale-battles and hundreds of soldiers.” And when we tried doing that in the CryEngine – impossible – frame rate plummeted down. There was a time we couldn't have more than six characters on each street, it was like “That's impossible, we cannot do this. We need more. And then we had to try and come up with fakes. Have some NPCs who just had to be there, but had nothing to do. It was very hard to use the CryEngine in this type of a game.
GamePressure said:
Mod support is the last thing we are doing right now, the last thing we want to release for Kingdom Come Deliverance. Right now, we are working on modding tools so that people can do their own stuff – Steam Workshop is already working, but only with the tools you can write your own quest, for example. We are thinking of a way out to cleverly release that. Unfortunately, consoles are out because they're not supporting this – it's not because we don't want to, but because Microsoft and Sony haven’t agreed on anything yet, so I can tell you: PC – yes, and we’ll see about the rest, I’m not sure.

Last edited:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I can only speak about my own experience obviously, but I am playing it now, 70 hours in and I had like two bugs (one that I could not zoom a map in rattay - that fixed itself hour later, and one where I fell into the ground in the forest and had to reload). No quest bugs, no significant glitching, nothing. If the game came out in this state it would probably be hailed as more polished than Witcher 3 (let alone anything from Bethesda).
I wouldn't go that far. The game's perfectly playable, yes, and the most annoying bugs have been ironed out, but it's still pretty rough around the edges. Take the dialogues, for example — pick any conversation that gives you multiple dialogue options, and chances are that it flows pretty weirdly if you pick dialogue options "out of order". It's like they wrote and recorded the conversations in a linear fashion and just cut them into smaller pieces afterwards, and it doesn't come off quite right. The same thing can be said about the quests, which may have some nonsensical or outright broken parts if you play them in a way the devs didn't anticipate. The level of polsih also decreases the further you get in the game, with the late-game quests feeling half-finished and rushed overall.

I don't think it's a detriment to the game, really. The quest design is in many ways more ambitious than that of The Witcher 3, which of course is a very different game anyway. That ambition is to blame for many of KCD's flaws, but it's also what makes the game special. You can hate something like the monastery quest for its shortcomings, but few developers have the creativity or the balls to even try pulling off something like that. I'd rather play an interesting and complex but slightly broken quest than the generic, formulaic and safe stuff most RPGs have to offer.

So has anyone, uh... played the Woman's Lot yet? How was it?
It's good. The part with Theresa is pretty fun, but The Madonna of Sasau is the best quest in the game with lots of C&C as well. If there's one DLC you should give a go, this is it. Perverts might be disappointed, though.

Paul_cz

Arcane
which may have some nonsensical or outright broken parts if you play them in a way the devs didn't anticipate.
Maybe, I didn't encounter anything like that yet, but I did put a disclaimer in my post about where I am so far. The dialogues sometimes not fitting exactly the order picked is such a tiny issue (and visible in many games) I didn't even think of that. It doesn't happen all that often to me either. I agree with your general point, I will take complex and ambitious but rougher and less polished over unambitious supersmoothly polished any day.

Quillon

Arcane
Since we would have more likely opted for Unreal, were UE4 available back in the day, it is true we were investigating the possibilities of the engine after KCD release.
We also investigated Lumberyard, CryEngine V, and re-investigated Unity.
But that is only natural. Results? Won't tell you, obviously.

But you are right. All the effort we burned on the KCD tech is a big part of the equation.
Have you thought about building your own engine?
Sure. That is always an option. A very very bad option nowadays. Unless you have about half a billion dolla bills and don't mind wasting 4 years on tech alone.

How do poles do it? CDPR, TECHLAND, DECK 13...

ed: is DECK 13 a german studio? :P

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I loved the game. More or less everything about it (except economy, which is dogshit), from great quests to world design to the incredible amount of realism. The only failing (apart from, again, the economy - seriously, it pissed me off) I felt was that the game felt a bit anticlimatic in regards to the Big Battles™. Even if we ignore that they weren't really big at all and were extremely scripted, they were still kind of shit and disappointing. First of all, they were really easy, second of all, I recall some "not enough of retarded friendly NPCs survived so you lose" parts, and finally, they were extremely linear and unimaginative. I hope they will make significantly better battles in the sequel, because this was just underwhelming.

Paul_cz

Arcane
CDPR, TECHLAND
CDPR licensed bioware's engine for the first game, only then with bigger team did they build their own. Techland...well it is Tech-land, they have been developing their own xpand engine (later chrome) for two decades now..
Warhorse had 20 employees when they started the work on prototype, if they had to build the engine from scratch we likely still wouldn't have the game.

Quillon

Arcane
CDPR licensed bioware's engine for the first game, only then with bigger team did they build their own.

Which lead to great things for them. Warhorse probably is at the same stage as when CDPR was between W1 & W2, prolly better tho since CDPR almost went under :P

Shinji

Savant
CDPR licensed bioware's engine for the first game, only then with bigger team did they build their own.

Which lead to great things for them. Warhorse probably is at the same stage as when CDPR was between W1 & W2, prolly better tho since CDPR almost went under :P
Indeed, but The Witcher 2 was not an open world game, which made things significantly less complicated.
Making a game engine + tools for a game like Kingdom Come from scratch would likely take a long time. Reusing their current tech would probably allow them to release their next game earlier -- although not as polished as it could be.

Quillon

Arcane
They should own their newfound RPG developer identity and embrace serial restarting imo; this time put more points in agility and less in charisma :outrage:

And develop some OCD asap!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom