Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
You'd have to be retarded to think WL2 was a storyfag game to begin with.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's funny to me how all these storyfag previewers are concerned about the game being streamlined but Codexers mostly don't seem to give a fuck.
:nocountryforshitposters:
How the fuck am i to be concerned about that shit,i haven't played the fucking game. When the game comes out,i will drill it a new asshole about that shit.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's funny to me how all these storyfag previewers are concerned about the game being streamlined but Codexers mostly don't seem to give a fuck.
What it actually sounds like from the previews is that there have been some quality-of-life improvements, but storyfag journos being storyfags can't tell the difference between that and "streamlining" because they don't give a shit.

I wonder about this, though:
Precision Strikes (making a return from the Director’s Cut edition of Wasteland 2), with their 100% hit rate and added status effects, make excellent final shot tools.
Cooldowns?

TheSoul

Scholar
1.) Skills don't seem to be percentage based anymore

2.) Weight seems to not be a factor

3.) Precision strikes seem to be cooldown based

I like 1, not sure 2 and 3 are gonna improve the game though.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://cogconnected.com/preview/wasteland-3-preview/

WASTELAND 3 TAKES THE BEST PARTS OF WASTELAND 2 AND PUMPS IT UP TO 10

At a recent hands-on opportunity with Wasteland 3, COGconnected was treated to an experience that showcased the game’s combat, varied level designs, dialog tree system, and its new vehicle. With inXile Entertainment’s relatively recent acquisition by Xbox Game Studios, the game’s budget has experienced an increase alongside a delay in order to accommodate upgrades. Based on what I have seen compared to my experience with Wasteland 2, it seems well worth the wait.

Instantly, the visual difference between Wasteland 2 and Wasteland 3 was noticeable. While Wasteland 2 kept a more “retro RPG”-style, Wasteland 3 looked like a contemporary game. While graphics are not the ultimate factor of whether a game is good or not, the improvement is one that is significant, and much appreciated. Simply put, the Colorado winter never looked so good. The updated user interface, as well as the overall user experience, also felt better. Specifically, the UI in combat situations is much clearer, making combat situations easier to strategize around for players new to the franchise.

Aside from the visuals, the combat experience felt much improved from its predecessor. Compared to Wasteland 3, Wasteland 2’s combat felt somewhat lacking. Wasteland 3 feels more in line with other tactical games such as XCOM. Being able to utilize the environment, target specific body parts, and controlling my squad’s vehicle all felt great in action. Despite being relatively inexperienced with the Wasteland franchise, I was able to hop right into the action with some working knowledge of the systems. Perhaps the most satisfying moments of combat that I had were running over enemies with the squad’s massive vehicle (which also transports the squad outside of combat) and shooting an enemy’s gas tank strapped to his back.

Play How You Want
Aside from the combat, two specific portions of the game’s demo stood out for me: puzzle-solving and conversations. While players can undoubtedly hop into combat to brute force their way through levels, alternative paths involving environmental challenges also play a large role in the game. Specifically, during the demo, I came across various puzzles that involved pillars of fire, spinning blades, and a cage full of bears. Each of these involved failures, but also multiple paths of potential success whether that be through environmental cues, squad skills, or brute force once again. The potential of Wasteland 3 of alternate paths allows players to truly play how they want to, whether that is as a gunslinging hobo or a more combat averse individual.

Much akin to the level design, conversations in the game can take very different turns, especially in important situations. The conversation at the end of the demo was with the patriarch’s son, who was fully voiced (along with the rest of the game) and motion captured. This conversation had a number of potential outcomes that could occur depending on your conversation choices, party members, and more, leading to outcomes ranging from the death of the character to him joining your squad.

Wasteland-3-top-700x394.jpg

Having only played a small amount of Wasteland 2, I would say that the biggest barrier to entry for myself was the accessibility. Being thrown directly into a game with little experience resulted in a much more difficult time with basics than I had anticipated. During my time with Wasteland 3, I was fortunate to be able to chat with lead level designer, Jeremy Kopman, who promised that Wasteland 3 will ease players into the various mechanics and features without dumbing down the experience.

With the recent acquisition of inXile Entertainment and announcement of the title launching on Xbox Game Pass, a more accessible entrance into the game will be vital for keeping players interested in the game. The increased budget helps to improve graphics, gameplay, accessibility, and more. While I personally had some issues getting into Wasteland 2, Wasteland 3 looks to alleviate any prior barriers to entry. Currently slated to release in early 2020, Wasteland 3 looks to take everything players liked from Wasteland 2, and just make it better.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Looks like a retarded XCOM2 or Mutant Year Zero.

The only thing that can save this shit is the story.

Neerasrc

Learned

I agree. A world with neon light seems to ruin. Where is the carrying capacity? Use of radio and other mechanics? The story and side quests will determine the fate of the game.

GloomFrost

Arcane

I agree. A world with neon light seems to ruin. Where is the carrying capacity? Use of radio and other mechanics? The story and side quests will determine the fate of the game.
Numa numa had some decent quests and ok story. It did not save it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Numa numa had some decent quests and ok story. It did not save it.

Idk. I was trying to be optimistic about it.

Lemming42

Arcane
A bit of streamlining isn't bad, and even big changes like carry weight can help the game. Carry weight was just annoying in Wasteland 2 - you give all the ammo to whoever is able to hold it and then fuck around transferring it to the rest of the party as and when they need it. It didn't force you to ration yourself or plan what to carry, it just turned everyone's inventory into a shit-heap of whatever they were able to carry.

Wasteland 2 convinced me that what they need to focus on is stats-driven combat all the way. There's really not much else going on in WL2 - the setting is a backdrop at best, the quests all boil down to either getting into fights or picking one of the Ass options that bypass a fight (occasionally robbing you of a fun encounter), etc. The non-combat mechanics can be streamlined or removed, the setting can be nonsensical, none of that bothers me as long as we get a game with a series of well made tactical combat encounters.

Neerasrc

Learned
Walk around with 300 guns? Get lost at inventory? Absolutely nonsense. You have a vehicle you use and carrying capacity is important. They should add a system like Pathfinder:K.
and.. We use the vehicle in battle, but who drives the vehicle? NPC? Computer system? Too many questions. Let's wait and see.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Walk around with 300 guns? Get lost at inventory? Absolutely nonsense. You have a vehicle you use and carrying capacity is important. They should add a system like Pathfinder:K.
and.. We use the vehicle in battle, but who drives the vehicle? NPC? Computer system? Too many questions. Let's wait and see.
The car is a robot NPC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a talking car stretch goal in the Fig campaign. Not clear whether that turned into the (frankly cooler) huge armored truck seen in the alpha, or if it shows up later in the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://expansivedlc.com/wasteland-...exciting-future-between-inxile-and-microsoft/

WASTELAND 3 SHOWS THE BEGINNINGS OF AN EXCITING FUTURE BETWEEN INXILE AND MICROSOFT
If early indications for the new generation are anything to go by, much of it will be based on who can secure the most talented studios for first-party games.

Just this week, Sony announced Insomniac are now a first-party studio, while over the past few months we’ve seen Microsoft’s acquisition of the likes of Ninja Theory, Obsidian and inXile.

And after spending time with Wasteland 3 at Gamescom, it’s already clear to see that money is being well invested to ensure the standard of quality going forward liberates studios to create the best possible versions of their games.

As Brian Fargo put it when I chatted to him at Gamescom ‘Microsoft gave us a ton of cash and said go make the best possible game you can.’

So they did and that’s exactly where we are with Wasteland 3. Right now, this is the best possible Wasteland game that inXile can create. It’s bigger, louder, more dynamic, fully voice acted, finer polished, and a more natural fit for PC and consoles alike.

I mean, you can plough a vehicle through buildings and barriers to squash enemies, then fire off from its turrets, perhaps setting off propane tanks to create massive explosions. Then there’s the vivid real-time weather effects that lead to environmental hazards. It all looks bloody stunning.

Where Wasteland 2 was paying homage and respect to the original, maintaining an authenticity that likened it to the classic game, Wasteland 3 is the next evolution. This is the kickstart the franchise needs to help it connect with new audiences.

It still follows the traditional staples of a Wasteland game, of course, top-down view, turn-based gameplay, hidden vaults filled with lots of lovely loot.

But it all seems to come together much more smoothly and succinctly, at least from the small section I got to play at Gamescom. A build, incidentally, that all Alpha backers on Fig have also had a chance to play.

The demo directs me to bring in a man named Vic Buchanan. Problem is, Vic isn’t a good guy and his merry band of ‘breathers’ have been terrorising the populace through the spread of drugs and hallucinogenics.

Now, the objective is to bring Vic in alive. But the interesting dynamic I got to explore in the demo is that you don’t have to abide by the rules. When you come face to face with Vic, he’s got an unorthodox way about him, one that might end up winning you over. Or pissing you off.

He’s talking to a severed head – yes, really – making wise cracks, and being fairly blaze about what he’s done. This isn’t a good dude, but he is someone you can bring along with you as a member of your party if you’ve levelled up the right traits. Your dialogue can make him believe he has no choice but to buddy up with you.

Of course, making that decision will anger other Rangers and townsfolk as you progress. Vic is a polarizing figure, one that some people hate, and by allying yourself with him you’re putting a target on your own back as well.

Likewise, by choosing to kill him rather than put him in jail, others might be upset that you’ve decided to take the law in your own hands. Whatever you decide, that big choice will change the very fabric of the game world you explore.

In case you’re wondering, I chose to add him to the party, though I didn’t get to see the impact of that. Brian told me the character had around 1,000 lines of spoken dialogue in the game so I felt the hard work had to be rewarded just a little bit.

This is just one of the ways Wasteland 3 improves on its predecessor. The inventory management is leaps and bounds better than anything inXile have done before, with a more traditional drag and drop system in place that now shows off the armour you’re wearing.

The combat is also smartly implemented, allowing you to move your party at once, switching deftly between moves so that the action is continuously flowing. You’ll also need to be mindful of a percentage score hovering over an opponent’s head showing you your chance to hit dependent on where you are.

The developers really encouraged me to use cover through the demo as foes hit hard, but also to make it harder for you to be spotted, while also maintaining a position of power.

Precision Strikes have also returned, and once powered up, let you choose an enemies body part similar to the Fallout VATs system to blow up or shoot off. It’s quite marvellous in slow-mo and surprisingly satisfying to see in action.

Through the much-enhanced graphics, I really got to grips with the bitter, harsh cold suffocating post-apocalyptic Colorada in full effect in this demo. The impact on line of sight, but also the shelter provided by going undercover and the natural transition between entering different spaces.

Small vaults, as mentioned, contain lots of cool loot, and you’ll sometimes need to solve some minor puzzles in order to progress. If someone is adept at lockpicking, then if you click on the locked door that person will step forward to let you through rather than the person you’ve got highlighted. Small, subtle touches, but crucial ones that don’t interrupt the flow of play,

It also helps that this seems like a more spacious game, providing you with the aforementioned vehicle to traverse Colorado and stumble upon different outposts and points of interest, similar to how you handle the Mako in Mass Effect.

Wasteland 3 was one of my Games of the Show at Gamescom. As a fan of the originals, I was already hyped to play, but I think with Microsoft’s backing and inXile’s natural talent, there’s a real winning combination here. I cannot wait to see how this affiliation between inXile and Microsoft continues to grow as this worked way better than I could have hoped.

Early 2020 already has some amazing games, but Wasteland 3 has shot right up to the top of my list of most anticipated.

Onionguy

Educated

If that video is representative of the writing and the characters in the full game then I'm out. Cannot stomach that wacky shit. Feels like some garbage Deadpool movie.

filpan

Scholar
They should change those health bars, they are too big. Everything I've seen so far is squad based turn based strategy, exactly like XCOM. I though this was an RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Infinitron, March 2017:

If I were inXile I would dispense with any attempt to make Wasteland 3 nostalgic or oldschool. Just make an accessible, fancy-looking "newschool" turn-based RPG (like nuXCOM as an RPG basically) with good story and quests by George Ziets.

Also lol:

Not sure about "accessible" (slippery slope) but I agree with the overall sentiment here.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
And after spending time with Wasteland 3 at Gamescom, it’s already clear to see that money is being well invested to ensure the standard of quality going forward liberates studios to create the best possible versions of their games.

I have been hearing this for a while now, that big corporate publishers are going to give newly acquired studios the opportunity to make the best versions of games as possible. In this case a title that don't seem to focus mostly on what big publishers think are essential now in current day game design; multi player and additional micro transactions.

Wasteland 3 may be a bit more streamlined in order to appeal to the average or common gamer but I still do not see this being a major hit.

Nor do I see the quality of gaming actually going to improve after a large portion of it was turned into a generic mess with some genres being watered down or completely disappearing (true, some really have had declining sales over the years). Not to mention what reboots did to some classic IPs, removing them from their roots or turning them into a series of cliches and tropes glued onto a generic FPS or third person shooter.

Developers left big publishers and studios to have more independence and make the games they wanted to make and now they or at least their studios end up being part of a big publisher again, telling us that this will help make games better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom