Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

J1M

Arcane
I do not remember it being unskippable though. At the same time, I do not remember there being an easy alternative for the 15-20 level range.
You can grind mobs in Silverpine. Have fun.
There was nowhere near the level of class stacking, raid splitting, etc in vanilla as there was in later expansions.
You misunderstand the thought experiment. This wasn't a calculation based on their skill or raid composition. They ran through the most class stacked and efficient raid composition that was mathematically possible and ran with 100% of the possible DPS uptime without taking into account the possibility of mistakes. And it was impossible with that premise. They didn't try to bash their heads against the encounter until something was working, it was purely a mathematical, theoretical exercise that took into account the best possible scenario. I'm sure it's possible to find the relevant thread with WayBackMachine.
You are reciting folklore, not facts.

This is the post most people reference.
http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/printthread.php?tid=4495

I am able to accept when I am wrong, so feel free to show me those calculations about a 30 warrior group with full world buffs being insufficient, or whatever it is you were implying.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

I am able to accept when I am wrong, so feel free to show me those calculations about a 30 warrior group with full world buffs being insufficient, or whatever it is you were implying.

And it says exactly what I said, it's impossible to deal enough damage to the tentacles in the right amount of time. He also says they've tried basically everything and if there's something they didn't try, someone else has. Sooo, I don't see where the folklore is.

J1M

Arcane

And it says exactly what I said, it's impossible to deal enough damage to the tentacles in the right amount of time. He also says they've tried basically everything and if there's something they didn't try, someone else has. Sooo, I don't see where the folklore is.
There is a world of difference between the academic rigor you implied and someone complaining that they have wiped a lot with some relevant details.

I think C'thun should be released pre-nerf because it would be interesting. Even if it stays up for months. Even if it ends up requiring tier 3 gear from a later phase. Even if it ends up beaten by 33 warriors wielding thunderfury, 7 priests, and a druid and paladin sitting outside the instance buffing.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't know, I seem to have more trust in the actual cutting-edge people at the time doing the math and the fight than posts 15 years after the fact suggesting 33 warriors. I might be wrong of course, but I somehow have the feeling I'm not. 33 warriors won't work because you have to be however many yards away from each other, otherwise the beams kill you. 33 warriors clumping up in melee around the tentacles doesn't sound like a very good idea.

And it's kinda pointless to wait to have Naxx gear before you kill C'thun, it would only be done for the experiment's sake. When exactly will they kill a pre-nerfed C'thun with vastly overpowered for the encounter gear? Who cares? It will just prove it wasn't a well-designed fight.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
The only thing I dislike about the Barrens is probably mining nodes being oddly distributed from how flat everything is.

J1M

Arcane
Real shame what they did to it in cata. The whole world revamp was ambitious, but ultimately pointless. The new player experience was not improved at all.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I hope that all makes things a bit more clear.
imagine going from a rebirth shill to a classic shill smh

cw8

Cipher
Real shame what they did to it in cata. The whole world revamp was ambitious, but ultimately pointless. The new player experience was not improved at all.

Hated Cata. Screwed up Loch Modan, one of my favourite zones to chill out. Was beautiful before Cata, Cata ruined the place.

bloodlover

Arcane
A couple of question for you ladies that played vanilla:

1. How does healing in a 40 man raid go? I am guessing you have one healer for each group or something? I don't even want to imagine having healbot with 40 bars on screen so I might have to check some other addon. I am planning on rolling a priest since paladins are cancer at leveling.

2. How do you make gold at 60 as healer since you can't grind like a DPS class? Are gathering professions the only answer to making gold for us?

3. I am planning on going for tailoring as I level (plus, I heard that there is some epic robe that I can craft at around level 58 or so) and I will take a gathering profession as secondary. Mining or herbalism are the usual choices but what about skinning? I doubt that skins sell at AH (unless we are talking rugged leather or something) but vendoring the skins might just help me enough with gold.

Lacrymas

Arcane
1. You get a raid frames addon or you use the baked-in new Blizz raid frames since they are keeping the ones from retail. I don't think healbot is going to work, they said they will not allow addons that automate tasks like this, so Decursive is perhaps also out of the question. You heal everyone you can basically, unless you have specific targets (like a warlock on the twin emps), and even then you can side-heal people if you can spare the mana (you can). The main cancer in the healing department is healers meter whoring. It's extremely annoying, it forces you to spam heals in an attempt to outheal everyone else and then most loot councils will see just the results and give loot to the "better" healers. Try to find a good loot council basically. The "mana issues" thing is a myth, mana stops being an issue halfway through MC. Holy paladins in PvE are extremely boring to play all the way to maybe WotLK if not beyond that as well. They just spam flash of light

2. AH or have a DPS set if you intend to grind.

3. Both mining and skinning is mostly worthless for making gold at the AH, you don't get repeat customers with that and it shows. Mining makes gold with rare gems, but I think herbalism is more reliable due to not needing RNG as much. If you insist on going with a gathering profession, herbalism is the best in vanilla.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath

1. How does healing in a 40 man raid go? I am guessing you have one healer for each group or something? I don't even want to imagine having healbot with 40 bars on screen so I might have to check some other addon. I am planning on rolling a priest since paladins are cancer at leveling.

2. How do you make gold at 60 as healer since you can't grind like a DPS class? Are gathering professions the only answer to making gold for us?

3. I am planning on going for tailoring as I level (plus, I heard that there is some epic robe that I can craft at around level 58 or so) and I will take a gathering profession as secondary. Mining or herbalism are the usual choices but what about skinning? I doubt that skins sell at AH (unless we are talking rugged leather or something) but vendoring the skins might just help me enough with gold.
1. As Lacrymas said, you install raid frame addons or use the Blizzard frames. There were/are a number of addons, so pick whichever works best for you. Paladins may be boring, but they bring some great spells.

2. Grind Scarlet Monastery at lvl 60 for cloth, vendor items, and/or BOE items. I remember some BOP items selling for a couple gold per piece, which can make it worthwhile for a solo endeavor. It will be slower on a Priest, but still doable. I plan to do this with my paladin.

3. Honestly, I would start with tailoring and enchanting if you go priest. My reasoning is that you will want to craft a wand with enchanting a.s.a.p. to hasten leveling (earliest is level 10?). If I recall correctly, you need to craft about 10 green item robes with tailoring, disenchant those robes, and you will have enough enchanting mats for the enchanting rod and initial wand. At least in the beginning levels, a wand can make a big difference imo.

Lacrymas

Arcane
While I wouldn't want to reveal my secrets, tailoring and enchanting is not a good way to go.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What about classic Decursive and healing macros/mods? I think most of the things got locked down by Blizzard in around 2.0, but will the functionality be in WoW Classic?

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Can't have my priest's job in Molten Core be anything other than pressing a single button.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
While I wouldn't want to reveal my secrets, tailoring and enchanting is not a good way to go.
I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to max out, but I do think enchanting is useful to craft a wand early on. Granted, he could always make a bank alt with enchanting.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Considering how much game knowledge has evolved it'll probably be more like modern WoW, so some people will be raid healing and others will be assigned to heal the tank. Back in the day I played a pally and my guild did overcomplicated shit with specific channels for healers and different healing classes, handing out assignments to watch individual groups and things like that. The game is way too easy with the current level of player knowledge and skill for any of that to be necessary. On nostarlius we were clearing Ony with ~25 people by our 4th week trying her so we could run two groups, and I expect Classic to be about the same.

Are gathering professions the only answer to making gold for us?
Yes. That's pretty much true for DPS classes as well.

Herb/alch, fire resist potions and later nature resist potions. That and flasks but I can't remember what kind sell well. Or at least that's what I remember being able to make money off of.

Lacrymas

Arcane
RE: game is way too easy now with the current level of player knowledge - No, the players are still shit, the 1.12 balancing is what ruins it until at least AQ. You will have specific assignments on bosses that demand it, but most don't. Example from BWL is Chromaggus, there is usually one healer that heals the tank (with occasional help from another one) while the others are dispelling.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I think priests with Holy Nova were able to farm lashers in DM (phase 2?). I'd imagine farming herbs and selling raid consumables to lazy people would garner you some money. If you really get after it and get to 60 quickly you can level an alt in phase 1 that has better grinding ability (e.g. hunter). The honor system debuts in phase 2 but there won't be any battlegrounds, so phase 2 will be pretty insane, relatively speaking.

cw8

Cipher
I made quite a lot of gold soloing Devilsaurs in Ungoro Crater as a Druid. I'd skin them and got the Devilsaur leather which made the Devilsaur set (Leatherworking) that Rogues needed, and uhm, Feral Druids. Sold very well in early vanilla. Got me my epic mount with those.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Mind Control in SM and have them smash their own heads in for a bit, use mind vision to find a suitable target, you can use mind soothe to work your way deeper inside, but can get a bit dicey if you need to dive out the exit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom