Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Civilization II is the best strategy and might be the best game of all time

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Change my mind

cZKQunA.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's very good until you master it. Then you realize every game you play of it will turn out pretty much the same.
Master of Orion is superior because it's much more unpredictable, with unbalanced factions, and what techs are available vary from game to game.

Dux

Arcane
A game close to my heart, yet still so very far away.

GOG should get on it so I can be lectured by the blessed FMV council again.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Master of Orion is superior because ... what techs are available vary from game to game.

This is the genius of MOO1. I don't know if there are other games that have this feature.

It most certainly is the Civ game I have fondest memories of.
That's kind of an interesting way to look at it. Not necessarily what civ game is the best, but what you've got the best memories of. With that criteria I'd either go civ2 or 4 myself. I probably played more of 4 than any of the rest, but when I think about Civilization the civ2 soundtrack and sounds are what immediately come to mind.

axx

Savant
To me Civ2 looks splendid as ever, those isometric graphics are like diamonds. The base game itself is splendid, then there's shitton of historic/fantasy/scifi scenarios over at scenario league. I probably most enjoyed scenarios from Spanish Civ2 site, now long defunct. ToT didn't appeal to me, dunno why.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Ever since Civ 1 I wanted that clear top down strategic map instead of the isometric BS. The strategic view in Civ 5 gives exactly that and with all the expansions it is the one I like the most.

McPlusle

Savant
Vanilla Civilization II (fuck Test of Time, and fuck the Multiplayer Gold Edition AI) is topped only by Alpha Centauri. Too bad they stopped making Civ games after IV.

Beastro

Arcane
It's very good until you master it. Then you realize every game you play of it will turn out pretty much the same.

A big problem is the AI, but the city limit too. It's a valid tactic to city spam if only to rob the AI of the ability to found more cities, or to give yourself a challenge and the AI a boost, limit yourself to half a dozen or so cities to allow the AI to expand greater.

The trouble I often ran into though was that the AI wouldn't really expand much on its own at all.

Master

Arbiter
I don't remember it being that much of a slog, but i haven't played it extensively.

Citizen

I don't remember it being that much of a slog, but i haven't played it extensively.

When you have a small active squad size or whatever it was called and a big fleet, so the battle becomes a skrimish of 3-4 ships from each side trying to snipe eachother from afar and reinforcements keeps coming and coming and this shit lasts for several turns

Alistair

Barely Literate
I always found the series, especially the first few entries, to be too simplistic for my taste with not enough depth within any of its available categories to intrigue me but not simplistic enough to be enjoyed in small playthroughs like how Settlers or Colonialization was. Probably because they tried tackling multiple scenarios and gameplay mechanics, but never truly expanded in anyone, to give in to the illusion.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess,

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom