Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Knights of the Chalice released on Steam

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games; Knights of the Chalice

Knights of the Chalice - a turnbased cRPG based on the Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 OGL - has been released on Steam.

Knights of the Chalice is a 2D RPG with turn-based combat for Windows. The game uses the OGL 3.5, the set of rules at the root of Dungeons & Dragons 3.5, a role-playing game from Wizards of the Coast. Create a party of four adventurers, explore the Crimson Coast of Mindrel and fight valiantly against the evil Council of the Slaver Lords, domineering Giants, fiendish Demons and scheming Dragons.

Turn-based, party-based tactical combat similar to that found in the old Dark Sun Shattered Lands game made by SSI and in Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil.

User-friendly interface. Launch a charge, full-attack or coup-de-grace with a single click - the computer will automatically look for the best option available.

Well-developed artificial intelligence. Enemies act as a group and use special actions like Grapple or Charge and tactics like taking a five-foot step before casting Maximised Fireball.

Omnipresent help files and clear in-game feedback (a feature also found in Temple of Elemental Evil) on the results of each dice roll, saving throw, attack roll, modifiers, etc.

175 magic spells, most of which were taken from, or inspired by, Wizard of the Coast's open game content. The list of spells is available from the developer's website.

Craft your own weapons and apply enchantments like Wounding, Speed, Flaming Burst and Keen. The lists of weapon enchantments and feats are in the developer's website.

Multiple-choice dialogue allowing you to resolve situations in unexpected ways.

A large campaign largely inspired by the classic Dungeons & Dragons modules Scourge of the Slave Lords and Against the Giants.

Enjoy collecting 100 Steam achievements designed to challenge the best tacticians.​

There's a demo available if you want to try it out.

If you want to learn why you should play this game, look no further than Darth Roxor's review, from a time when he was still young and hadn't sold out yet.

PrettyDeadman

Become too excited after buying KOTC, so had to buy also:
D&D Krynn Series
D&D Pool of Radiance Series
Eye of Beholder Series
MENZOBERRANZAN & Dungeon Hack

Endarire

Scholar
Part of the delay in KotC coming to Steam was my finding a softlocking bug in the Orc Fort. (Leaving the fort before finishing everything inside prevented the gate to the fort from being reopened and the game from progressing.) The game's author said he would fix that for the Steam release.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm going to buy it, but I think it comes very very very late to have decent sales.

some years ago it would have sold nice, today, too much competition, but it's good to have it there.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Man I love this game. Playing simultaneously now alongside Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. What I wouldn't give for a Dark Sun that felt as good as KotC

BlackGoat

Arbiter
eTwlbd8.png

:obviously:

jewboy

Arbiter
Because artists don't work for free. The one man team should port this to the Atari 2600 and HP 48 series calculators. My Atari 400 with 48kB of RAM should be able to play this too? If not it needs more optimization. I think I would have just gone with all text instead of early 80s graphics. At least then you could turn the verbosity all the way up past 11 and bathe in the rich textual descriptions of battle.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm going to buy it, but I think it comes very very very late to have decent sales.

some years ago it would have sold nice, today, too much competition, but it's good to have it there.

Absolutely agree with this. KOTC originally came out in what, 2009? It would have been paired with the likes of Braid and probably sold if not as much, at least around 50.000 copies or so. Eventually, it might have even reached a six-digit number after a few price-drops and one-dollar bundles.

But nowadays? Not only will it go unnoticed by most of the gamers, but journalists aren't even going to bat an eyelash. Most popular YouTubers and streamers? Nah, who are we kidding?

Still, I think releasing it even nowadays will be more financially lucrative to Pierre than it would be if he decided to stick to his autistic my-store-or-the-highway attitude he displayed until recently.

Mustawd

Where is the Battle of the Sands RTS of his on Steam? I searched but couldn’t find it.

I’ll only buy KOTC if I can also buy that RTS.

BlueSalamander

Heroic Fantasy Games
Developer
Thank you very much for the amazing support, VentilatorOfDoom! Also big thanks to DoomIhlVaria, Pretty, CRD, Iluvcheezcake, Richard Leaks, BlackGoat and everyone else!

roots are at the root of everything.
:D Indeed they are. I salute you, all ye who are rooting for KotC 1 and KotC 2. I'll do my best not to disappoint!

Leaving the fort before finishing everything inside prevented the gate to the fort from being reopened
That's correct. The gate of the fort will now open up when the party discovers the underground exit.

I’ll only buy KOTC if I can also buy that RTS.
:D Then I'll make a game bundle specifically for you.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I went ahead and bought it again on Steam. I forgot how hard that first battle is with all the orcs, where my dudes are getting one-shot by enemies who aren't even rolling max damage. Fun stuff. I've only beaten the games three times before, and that was so long ago. I'm so glad that KotC 2 will have more than three classes.

I left a positive review, too. Last I checked, there were six reviews and all were positive. I hope that stuff helps.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Bought it again, left a review and also wrote one for the RPG Codex curator. I made fun of Pierre's business skills for years, now I hope he sees the light, makes some good money and deliver a wonderful KotC2.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been almost a decade since I last played KOTC, really having a blast with the steam version.

Hopefully Pierre gets some dough from this re-release.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom