Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Knights of the Chalice finally on Steam and GOG

visions

Arcane
looks so amazing, only one question. Is most of classes/races in the game?

Not really. The available races are human, mul and half-elf. The classes are fighter, cleric and wizard but wizards don't have to memorize individual spells, they get a number of spells that they can cast from every level per rest (like in the Dark Sun games).

The game is still very good despite the limited selection of races and classes. As for how the wizard works, I don't mind this approach. I never particularly enjoyed choosing which spells to memorize individually before resting.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game is still very good despite the limited selection of races and classes. As for how the wizard works, I don't mind this approach. I never particularly enjoyed choosing which spells to memorize individually before resting.

Thanks. Only one more question. There are BS mechanics like CDs? How long is the game? According to HLTB is 24 hours > https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=5104

Martyr

Arcane
How long is the game? According to HLTB is 24 hours > https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=5104

that's extremely optimistic. the game does track your time and I certainly wasn't finished after 24 hours. and that doesn't even include reloads. so I'd say that KotC is over 30 hours long.

visions

Arcane
Thanks. Only one more question. There are BS mechanics like CDs? How long is the game? According to HLTB is 24 hours > https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=5104

Sorry, what do you mean by CD? I'm assuming you don't mean compact disk since the game is digitally distributed but I don't know anything else this abbreviation might stand for.

As for length, my playing times for crpg-s are always inflated for some reason, I think it took me around 50 hours until beating Tyrannixus, not sure how I managed to take that long. Most people are probably faster.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
23 hours is more or less correct. I finished in about 25 according to the in-game timer.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry, what do you mean by CD? I'm assuming you don't mean compact disk since the game is digitally distributed but I don't know anything else this abbreviation might stand for.

Cooldown. I was hipped for Low_Magic_Age but remvoed from wishlist when i learned that it has cooldowns and inflated hp / damage on missing...

Martyr

Arcane

Cooldown. I was hipped for Low_Magic_Age but remvoed from wishlist when i learned that it has cooldowns and inflated hp / damage on missing...

actually, nevermind my earlier comment about 23 hours being optimistic. I was at the ice caves with the frost giants at around 26 hours, which is almost endgame-ish. but I did lots and lots of random battles and my entire party was already maxed out, so if you take out all of the random battles I did and play like a normal person, you're probably really able to finish the game at around 23-26 hours. that said, I don't think that's too short for a game like this and imo Knights of the Chalice is worth every penny.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

My fisrt playthrough is clocked at 34 hours before the "golem city", the last dungeon in vanicia and the bonus battle (which can take hours and hours counting reloads)

Second one at 26 hours before the bonus battle.

I don't close the game all the time when i take a break but there's some reloads involved so all in all, i think it's accurate.

Codex Year of the Donut
Sunday's peak was 20 players. DOA, but that's expected. :negative:
No advertising.
The massive amount of releases on Steam means any game that doesn't immediately sell a ton of copies gets completely buried. There has been about 30 new game releases since KotC released on Steam — weekends are a lot slower, the number goes way up(~80) if we include same day releases. It's one of the main reasons that Valve is working on their new content recommendation engine.

Jinn

Arcane
I figure that even if the game sells only a thousand copies, that's still well worth the time and effort (and $100) that Pierre put into getting the game on steam. And if more new people play the game in general, the world is a better place.

PrettyDeadman

PrettyDeadman

There are 20,000+ registred members of rpgcodex.
If each buys 1 copy - the game release willl be adequate.
If each buys 1 copy for themselves + 2 copies for friends - the game will be very successful.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks interesting but honestly don't sound amazing as people portraits. I mean, i will purchase and play due the few quality of good turn based games, but don't expect to be better than PF:KM who allows you to shapeshift into dragons and summon hordes of creatures and is much longer. Is not an expensive game and since was made by just one person, looks very impressive.

Tigranes

Arcane
Looks interesting but honestly don't sound amazing as people portraits. I mean, i will purchase and play due the few quality of good turn based games, but don't expect to be better than PF:KM who allows you to shapeshift into dragons and summon hordes of creatures and is much longer. Is not an expensive game and since was made by just one person, looks very impressive.

Is length & number of abilities your criterion of a good game?

It's a tight, focused, indie experience that provides good old D&D fun by the bucketloads. It's not going to be BG2.

Delator

Has Pierre ever mentioned how many copies the game has sold?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom