Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Should I worry about killing pirates? I'm trying to get to the Lemurian Health station and these somalian cosplayers are getting in my way.
Does breaking the 'truce' do anything? Will I regret it?

Tigranes

Arcane
My scientist is going crit-based and took ambush, but fuck me it's such a bother to actually stand in the right square, I end up not using it much.

Focus Stims, Seeker Goggles, Chips, Recklessness would be the easy and quick way to be hitting ~50% crit chance reliably even at, say, level 10.

ciox

Liturgist
My scientist is going crit-based and took ambush, but fuck me it's such a bother to actually stand in the right square, I end up not using it much.

Focus Stims, Seeker Goggles, Chips, Recklessness would be the easy and quick way to be hitting ~50% crit chance reliably even at, say, level 10.
If you're going to make a crit build you might as well use a rifle, sniper rifle or crossbow, then you can put on a blue scope for extra 7 or 10% crit chance.

Blackmill

Scholar

You'll find it much more useful in...

the deep caverns. Nearly every tile there is considered dark. So it's just a matter of illuminating the enemy without illuminating yourself. Tchort, the Faceless Commander, pretty much every enemy not in the mushroom forest can be easily ambushed.

Tigranes

Arcane

If you're going to make a crit build you might as well use a rifle, sniper rifle or crossbow, then you can put on a blue scope for extra 7 or 10% crit chance.

Definitely, I just wanted to play a scientist and then make the best of it. On Hard, it's certainly good enough; your Aimed Shot can regularly one-shot or nearly one-shot weaker enemies. Chem pistol Cooked Shot to disable enemies, then Hate spell + Adrenaline + Focus Stim = plenty of shots to trigger more crits. Or just Execute.

Carnifex spent the entire fight on running around on fire, then swamped in acid. The Beast swarm kept dying before the next wave could come in, giving me time to scratch my butt.

Tigranes

Arcane
IIRC clearing a computer terminal with pesticide should lead you to more. There's more than one elevator

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
does each pellet have its own roll for whether or not it crits?

Yep.

Ambush gives you a huge crit chance bonus but it requires the lighting on both you and the enemy to be right, which can be hard since shotgun optimal range is pretty short.

Doesn't work with shotguns.

I just tested and it does. According to the description it shouldn't, but it does. Though it can still be hard to set up.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Reported!
Or maybe I didn't understand the description.

Last edited:

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
What do you think you should do in the Lemurian Health Center at the end? Because I resisted all of this things psionic mindfuckery, I have the option of leaving without getting the body horror feat. But I could also help the poor bastard out and survive it due to my high will. Is resolve that important of a stat? I'm kind of thinking it doesnt really matter that much, especially since i have Locus of Control feat.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
What are the best skills to dump specializations in for a shotgun build? I'm leaning towards Sixth Shell and Gun Nut. Gun Nut seems uniquely good as when maxed the bonus obtained from specialization exceed the actual feat itself. Most offer maybe 50% of feats value.

The balance for specializations seems all over the place. Some seems way better than others.

Blackmill

Scholar
What do you think you should do in the Lemurian Health Center at the end? Because I resisted all of this things psionic mindfuckery, I have the option of leaving without getting the body horror feat. But I could also help the poor bastard out and survive it due to my high will. Is resolve that important of a stat? I'm kind of thinking it doesnt really matter that much, especially since i have Locus of Control feat.

Resolve is most important for reducing the damage you take from Neural Overload and Bilocation as well as resisting Mental Breakdown, Psi-Cognitive Interruption, and Flashbangs. If you're a hybrid and use weapons, it's also relevant to resisting Yell and attacking through Pseudo-Spatial Projection.

The Body Horror feat could make a reasonably large difference and reduce your resist chance by about 25% (i.e. from 95% resist to less than 70% resist) in the worst case. Do you have low health? A failed save against Mental Breakdown may still kill you if immediately followed by a Neural Overload. Locus of Control obviously helps but only if your survive to take your turn.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For my run in DC I never could find the part to give my goggles night vision so I finally gave up and just ran with what I have, some 112% seeker goggles and a set fo 19% crti goggles. In the end DC was actually a cakewalk compared to everything else that came before, but then I already knew what to expect and I was on good terms with the faceless. Stealth didn't hurt either

What are the best skills to dump specializations in for a shotgun build? I'm leaning towards Sixth Shell and Gun Nut. Gun Nut seems uniquely good as when maxed the bonus obtained from specialization exceed the actual feat itself. Most offer maybe 50% of feats value.

The balance for specializations seems all over the place. Some seems way better than others.

Don't take my word as gospel, but Sixth Shell is amazing since it got patched and gun nut is a must for anyone using shotguns even unspecialized. From my own personal experience though you should skip over short barreled shotguns until you have a lot of skill, they just seemed to miss too much to me until I was very far along.

hilfazer

Scholar

Sixth Shell has hands down the best specialization of shotgun feats and this is saying a lot since shotguns specs are generally good.

For 5 points you get 67% damage increase instead of 33%.
0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, 200% instead of 0%, 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, 100%.
400% extra damage over 6 attacks. Beat that.

Has anybody managed to find natural marble and frowning mushroom oddity? I feel like I was searching up whole Black sea for these (and this fucking third Ikebana) and no result
Frowning mushroom is in Fetid Marsh sector L5. I don't know about the marble though.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Reported!
Or maybe I didn't understand the description.
Yeah, it has to be a mistake. Aimed shot says single target only so it doesn't work for shotguns. Ambush says single target only but it does work for shotguns? No way that's right.

Black Angel

Arcane
Can we talk about how Expedition is bad for non-sneaky characters... even psi ones? Like, a hundred strongmen to kill with electrokinesis which only removes 5% of their health at a time, how is that supposed to be enjoyable?
If there are multiple of them, using Premeditation and having Tranquility helps casting Electrokinesis multiple times against each of a maximum 3 strongmen/handmaiden, thus preventing them to gang on you for 1 turn. If lucky and scores some crits, you could pretty much clear them in 2 turns. I reckon Psychokinesis + Psionic Mania characters would have much easier time because of this.

Still badly designed encounters, wish Styg and co would tone them down reasonably.

Nope, it's either DR or DT used for damage negation, whichever has better results in mitigating damage.
I know, that's why I specifically said 'NOT both of them'.

I think you shouldn't confront assassin at all. Just gather all clues and report to Lenox - that's the optimal solution.
Nah, I confronted Mordre, provoked him to attack me, and still gets to meet Azif. Twice in two different playthroughs I've done it now.

hell bovine

Arcane
edit: Yep, img link got deleted once I've logged out of the codex.

On a side note, so far combat in Expedition has been decidely unfun. The point of an army vs army battle in turn based is that you control one team. Not one character out of thirty+ and therefore spend the majority of the encounter watching the computer play against itself. :argh:

d73988bae3b7a7fbc141df5395b0d718-full.jpg

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Found another source of Ghostface: you can buy it from the fisherman in the random encounter (though according to wiki it's not guaranteed that he'll have it for sale). :D

Though tbh, it's useless for my character, since she doesn't have high biology. Ah well, it'll look nice on the shelf.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm fully on board with the Expedition complaints now, by the way. This two to three locust nests per screen bullshit is getting really old, really fast... or should I say really slowly?

What's especially obnoxious is when the nests are unreachable by land, even with the spear, despite seeming to be one millimeter away from the player. I'm at a large section of the Fetid Marsh right now where I can't find a way to navigate the jet ski to the deep water of the "interior," so this has become doubly annoying.

None of this is DIFFICULT, by the way. It's dead easy with reinforced tungsten armor, Sec-Trooper helmet, biohazard boots, and bare fists. Even a purchased or looted tungsten armor would suffice for characters without crafting skills. The only reason I even use grenades is to speed up the tedious pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee of twenty fucking locusts taking their turns.

I want to see Styg do a Let's Play of Expedition using a non-stealth melee character, at 100% movement and action speed. The doctor needs to have a taste of his own medicine.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Meanwhile I am at Deep Caverns, in Labyrinth and noticed that I can't find Two-headed Grub oddity, despite wiki claiming that you can find it in Labyrinth. In my first run I didn't paid attention to a fact that I miss this oddity, because I reached level cap earlier, but now I think maybe information on wiki isn't correct and worth fixing.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Huh, psi build is actually pretty damn dominating for the arena.

Save for the final arena boss, they are all very easy. I just fear them, the stack temporal distortion and they all die almost instantly.

I remember back then using rifle build, it was pretty hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom