Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

PrettyDeadman

wKjGY41.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gonna grab some mediocre point and click adventures I've been putting off forever like Codename: Iceman. Anyone want to comment on the Cthulu games? I read "very mazey" in one review and that turned me right off but willing to be persuaded.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Anyone want to comment on the Cthulu games? I read "very mazey" in one review and that turned me right off but willing to be persuaded.

I played and finished Shadow of the Comet back when it first came out... it's actually one of the few point n click adventure games I finished as a kid.

I don't remember it being too "mazey." I think any complaints about that are coming from a modern PnC adventure game perspective as the game requires you to explore a bit and piece the story together as you go. There are (I think) two locations in the game that could be described as mazes (complete with enemies walking around in them that kill you on contact as far as I remember), but they aren't "trick" mazes like in King's Quest V or Legend of Kyrandia; they are just caves you might need to map. Having said that, I didn't map the game at all back when I finished it, so they can't be too complicated.

More of a concern for SotC is the weird interface that takes a lot of getting used to, as well as how difficult the game is overall. As long as you save often it's not bad I think.

The atmosphere (especially the gorgeous backgrounds and amazing adlib soundtrack) and story make it worth playing for sure.

Dunno about Prisoner of Ice. I've heard it's somewhere between terrible and boring.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/gog-exclusives

Thronebreaker showed GOG that “exclusives don’t work for us”

As you might have heard on the internet, Epic’s continued pursuit of timed exclusivity deals for its store has proven unpopular. Publisher-driven exclusives on platforms like Origin and Battle.net have proven a lot easier for players to swallow – but even though CD Projekt’s own GOG briefly served as the exclusive home for Thronebreaker, the company has decided to forego exclusivity for Cyberpunk 2077.

“With Thronebreaker, we started with an exclusive, and decided to share it with a wider audience,” global communications manager Marcin Traczyk tells us at Gamescom. “It proved to us that exclusives maybe don’t work for us, because we don’t want to limit the number of people who can access the game.”

Yet CD Projekt has made clear that they’d prefer for you to buy Cyberpunk 2077 on GOG (it is the platform where they’ll see the best profit margins), and as a result, one-third of PC pre-orders for the game have come through GOG. Traczyk says “we can see that if we have a good offer, and we openly communicate benefits from the users, we might convince them to get the game on our platform, and not on other platforms.”

The DRM-free bonus probably didn’t hurt. Either way, Traczyk says “We were very happy to see how people reacted to our message, how people shared, and the amount of recommendations that appeared from people convincing their friends to buy on GOG. That was super exciting for us, and we were very happy and proud that people believed in us so much.”

In regards to the Epic store itself, Traczyk says that “We always welcome competition, and as with every business, we are adapting on the go to the market situation, But at the same time with the solutions that we’re offering, we’re giving players the ability to choose.”

GOG Galaxy 2.0 is one example of that sort of choice, since it lets you collect all your digital titles in a single place. The platform currently only has official integration for GOG and Microsoft accounts, but community-built integrations have added support for services like Steam and Epic.

Traczyk says that GOG wants to work with Epic to make that support official, and “these talks are ongoing.” Official support would allow :deeper integration with more details, like comparing your results with friends, comparing game times, achievements, et cetera. This should also be an improvement for users.”

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamesn.com/gog-exclusives

Thronebreaker showed GOG that “exclusives don’t work for us”

You know what also didn't work for them?

Really, really, REALLY aggressively pushing Thronebreaker on gog - to the point where they had a full-page banner that you had to click past before you could even log into your friggin' account. The aggressive marketing only served to annoy gog customers, while Steam customers never even knew the game had launched.

Also, I seem to remember they had a banner on the checkout page that basically said: "Hey, why not add Thronebreaker to your order while you're at it!".

As a result, Thronebreaker has the dubious honor of being the only game I have on ignore on Steam, if only to never see that obnoxious Telltale-looking promo artwork ever again.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
We'd like to inform you that Disney The Lion King and Disney Aladdin are being delisted from our catalog on July 9th, 2PM UTC, due to the publisher's request.

Everyone who owned the games prior to delisting will still be able to access them through their GOG Library.

The reason, they're getting "enhanced" re-release:

Two of the beloved Disney games make their long-awaited return to modern consoles in Disney Classic Games: Aladdin and The Lion King. This unforgettable package of Disney classics is filled with many new features, enhancements, game modes, display options, and multiple versions of the games.
  • Play different versions of the beloved Aladdin and The Lion King games.
  • Relive Aladdin’s classic adventure as you travel through Agrabah and the Cave of Wonders to defeat Jafar and rescue Jasmine.
  • Try the new version of Aladdin with difficulty adjustments, camera refinements, bug fixes, and some additional surprises for fans.
  • The Lion King brings to life the majesty and mystery of Africa through the tale of Simba, a lion cub faced with the challenging transition to maturity.
  • Enjoy the updated visual effects that include 1080p graphics and enhancements for HDTV.
  • You can instantly rewind any of the games in real time in order to retry difficult areas.
  • Quickly save your progress in each of the games, and continue your adventure wherever and whenever you want.
  • Listen to the entire soundtracks for both games with the ability to repeat and shuffle the songs.

But the trailer does not show GOG logo.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This should be a standard feature of GOG, this search is *MUCH* better than what they have. The only addition i'd like is the game image to show, it is a bit too texty (but that is minor :-P).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom