Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Parabalus

Arcane
Clearing Port Zenith as melee is utterly retarded. Really, the entire melee experience using Jet Ski's need a significant balance pass - disembarking should be free at the very least.

I'm fully on board with the Expedition complaints now, by the way. This two to three locust nests per screen bullshit is getting really old, really fast... or should I say really slowly?

What's especially obnoxious is when the nests are unreachable by land, even with the spear, despite seeming to be one millimeter away from the player. I'm at a large section of the Fetid Marsh right now where I can't find a way to navigate the jet ski to the deep water of the "interior," so this has become doubly annoying.

None of this is DIFFICULT, by the way. It's dead easy with reinforced tungsten armor, Sec-Trooper helmet, biohazard boots, and bare fists. Even a purchased or looted tungsten armor would suffice for characters without crafting skills. The only reason I even use grenades is to speed up the tedious pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee pwee of twenty fucking locusts taking their turns.

I want to see Styg do a Let's Play of Expedition using a non-stealth melee character, at 100% movement and action speed. The doctor needs to have a taste of his own medicine.

Get out while you can, there is nothing of value in fetid marsh and it isn't important for the plot, value your sanity.

Tigranes

Arcane
I mean, Styg worked on this expansion pack for a billion years. Surely he playtested his own content? So what was he doing? Maybe he just really enjoys walking around very slowly and then stopping to watch 80 locusts take their turns, with Slavic music blaring in the background and a large cigar between his teeth?

And yeah, ignore the Fetid Marshes.

Parabalus

Arcane
And yeah, ignore the Fetid Marshes.
you mean play stealth like intended and ignore enemies

Clearing Port Zenith as melee is utterly retarded
did you try to sneak in as opposed to swim in?

anyway, I have joined pirates yarrr. There was nothing more satisfying as turning on aegis. No more walkie talkie breaking stealth talks while im sneaking next to hive. No more annoying general. No more rushing to the beach and trying to protect that one sniper npc(seriously, even with plasma touret and naga protector he tends to get in front?)
Instead you get sweet ride, lose knife penalties. This is chad life

btw, pirates merchant seem to be selling good quality black cloth(nice if you didnt go with espionage corp).
Oh any if you get on muties good side AND repair their generator, you can buy q100+ leathers

Cool thing after culling aegis is that the natives invade, and make a pyre out of their bodies. Makes getting to the rift tricky though.

Not sure how sneaking helps with clearing the port, there are true-sight turrets and the enemies are packed together neatly, can't really assassinate them.

Tigranes

Arcane
OK scientist may not be optimal but can still crit OK

zHELGXD.jpg

Totals: Mateo, 4 death stalkers & 1 crawler, all one-shot in a single turn

Realised forgot to take Focus Stim

Then died on the way out running into a Coil Spider

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
How do you talk to the Ferryman about the 'Center' topic? I've talked with him about everything else and got Philosophy 3, but he still says Center is to difficult for me to understand. Is it a main questline progress gated thing or is it bugged?

ciox

Liturgist
Meanwhile I am at Deep Caverns, in Labyrinth and noticed that I can't find Two-headed Grub oddity, despite wiki claiming that you can find it in Labyrinth. In my first run I didn't paid attention to a fact that I miss this oddity, because I reached level cap earlier, but now I think maybe information on wiki isn't correct and worth fixing.
DC has many hidden containers that won't highlight, try the stuff that looks like a bee's nest.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That bad? It still works for riot shields, metal boots and reinforcement of leather boots.
Perhaps it helped with the shield in my spear build but I didn't use meta boots nor did I reinforce them. As for my shotgun build, its done nothing at all due to the tactical vest I'm using. Ballistics would have been much better.

ciox

Liturgist
Perhaps it helped with the shield in my spear build but I didn't use meta boots nor did I reinforce them. As for my shotgun build, its done nothing at all due to the tactical vest I'm using. Ballistics would have been much better.
True enough, ballistics' specialization also doubles its effect.

Tigranes

Arcane
Hot damn. Any chance of a build link?

Sure. It's not optimal at all and I've been wasting points left and right, so would love thoughts. This is a rough representation of what I did - skill point distrib is rough, just to show the gist of it.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAM...RfRi1fAAAAN1oAACsBJCYwwpFWAhFLwocpwprip74F378

Key points:
  • Chem pistols & Cooked Shot at level 6. If you're lucky with merchants, mainly Fixer, you can take a good quality Fire pistol with you into Depot A, with predictably amazing results.
  • Early/mid game, Aimed Shot + Crit Power, Ambush when possible, for reliable alpha shots. Follow up with a Cooked Shot and you can disable multiple enemies after killing one in your first round, and use Haste for maneuvring.
  • Mid/late game you can rack up your crits. Around level 20, I had 40 laser pistol damage base then 400% Crit damage, with easily 50+% chance to trigger with Focus Stim and Chips and before Ambush. Also carry around all 3 chem pistols (seems to make Black Sea a lot quicker) and Electroshock, so you can keep rotating guns for your choice of fun.
  • Minimal throwing / pickpocket / traps for Quick Tinkering and other early perks, enough hacking & lockpicking for everything you need. 50 Biology is all you need for Focus Stims, and then later 70 for Hypercerebrix if you like. I also had a 2k power energy shield.

One key question is DEX/PER/INT distribution. THC isn't actually super high with Energy weapons + 10PER, but you're nearly always immobilising enemies one way or another (Acid, Freeze, electroshock stun, or at least fire/panic) - so I actually think 8PER would have been fine. I originally pumped DEX, and the reduced AP for weapons really rocks (I don't even have to watch my AP with Haste & Adrenaline, I just fire a million shots every round), but now I believe High-Technicalities is actually crucial for a crit build to raise Laser Pistols' shitty base damage and reap that sweet multiplier on your 400% Crit damage. So I think 10 INT for sweet crafting bonus and then the rest on DEX might be the way to go.

If I were to do it again, probably Recklessness comes earlier, as does High-Technicalities. Still not sure if Practical Physicist is worth it but that's an option to.

Edit: At level 22, it seems my guy has 28% Crit Chance before any additives (so would be 45% with Stims & Chips before Ambush), and.... 722% Crit Damage.

Last edited:

Blackmill

Scholar
Sure. It's not optimal at all and I've been wasting points left and right, so would love thoughts. This is a rough representation of what I did - skill point distrib is rough, just to show the gist of it.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?FAM...RfRi1fAAAAN1oAACsBJCYwwpFWAhFLwocpwprip74F378

Key points:
  • Chem pistols & Cooked Shot at level 6. If you're lucky with merchants, mainly Fixer, you can take a good quality Fire pistol with you into Depot A, with predictably amazing results.
  • Early/mid game, Aimed Shot + Crit Power, Ambush when possible, for reliable alpha shots. Follow up with a Cooked Shot and you can disable multiple enemies after killing one in your first round, and use Haste for maneuvring.
  • Mid/late game you can rack up your crits. Around level 20, I had 40 laser pistol damage base then 400% Crit damage, with easily 50+% chance to trigger with Focus Stim and Chips and before Ambush. Also carry around all 3 chem pistols (seems to make Black Sea a lot quicker) and Electroshock, so you can keep rotating guns for your choice of fun.
  • Minimal throwing / pickpocket / traps for Quick Tinkering and other early perks, enough hacking & lockpicking for everything you need. 50 Biology is all you need for Focus Stims, and then later 70 for Hypercerebrix if you like. I also had a 2k power energy shield.

One key question is DEX/PER/INT distribution. THC isn't actually super high with Energy weapons + 10PER, but you're nearly always immobilising enemies one way or another (Acid, Freeze, electroshock stun, or at least fire/panic) - so I actually think 8PER would have been fine. I originally pumped DEX, and the reduced AP for weapons really rocks (I don't even have to watch my AP with Haste & Adrenaline, I just fire a million shots every round), but now I believe High-Technicalities is actually crucial for a crit build to raise Laser Pistols' shitty base damage and reap that sweet multiplier on your 400% Crit damage. So I think 10 INT for sweet crafting bonus and then the rest on DEX might be the way to go.

If I were to do it again, probably Recklessness comes earlier, as does High-Technicalities. Still not sure if Practical Physicist is worth it but that's an option to.

What is your typical THC? I think I had 16 PER in my last guns playthrough and was usually looking at 90-95% THC with my laser pistol + night vision goggles. Even near max range. Sometimes 85%. I was hoping I could dump PER down to 10 next time since the damage loss isn't that much. But I had figured my THC wouldn't change much.

Also, was the laser pistol base damage including High-Technicalities? I think my ~160 Q laser pistol was 19-26 base damage unless I missed a way to make it hit harder.

Tigranes

Arcane
Blackmill 95% for well lit enemies nearby, of course, but in other conditions it could often drop to 75% or so. It's not really a huge deal - which is why I say 8-9 PER might be enough to put more on DEX/INT. I always fucking forget to use my night vision goggles, too.

My current Smart Amplified Laser Pistol - not as quality as yours - is a measly 16-22 base damage, but that translates to 36-50 on the character sheet with High-Tech etc. The point is the 722% jump on top of that, which amkes every extra damage point count. And then 44% bonus for Aimed Shot as special attack.

I should note that I've opted to use Crit % goggles (14%).

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
So, you know that guy who Briggs, the expedition leader, gives you - the Sec-trooper who fast-travels you to Core City for 50 charons? He seems to've disappeared, after doing some quests, which is very irritating. I guess it's because some of the Sec-troopers died and he was one of them?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
So, you know that guy who Briggs, the expedition leader, gives you - the Sec-trooper who fast-travels you to Core City for 50 charons? He seems to've disappeared, after doing some quests, which is very irritating. I guess it's because some of the Sec-troopers died and he was one of them?

The Juice will always be there for you, man.

Tigranes

Arcane

Key points:

Edit: At level 22, it seems my guy has 28% Crit Chance before any additives (so would be 45% with Stims & Chips before Ambush), and.... 722% Crit Damage.

I can also report that at level 22, this guy basically 3-hits Naga Protectors with Electroshock Pistol. I was just stealthing around them like a chump. You know, the Black Sea's not quite as bad if you go at level 20. At least it's over a lot faster.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My spear guy's had a pretty easy time with the statuebot spam in Nexus of Technology. If there are a lot of them, I just use strategic camera alerting and mobility to clump them together, hit them with an EMP Mk III, a Plasma Mk III, then finally mop them up with spears. It's possible to take them out with spears alone, but not really desirable unless they're solo or in pairs. Solo ones are Expose Weakness -> Impale -> collect loot.

Protectors I can unga to death with the assistance of drugs and blocking, but it must be one of the most powerful single enemies in the entire game.

The locusts are just the pits. God, they are fucking indefensible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom