Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Dorateen

Arcane
I had forgotten that Treasures of the Savage Frontier included a Dragonspear reference.

36-ToSF_6_26.png

Twenty-four years before any infinity engine content.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I played some more and the game seems to open up a bit once you get past elmwood. The enviroments are really good looking, the voice acting above expectation and the original music pretty good but so far i would say that Swordflight 2 remains the premier NwN module despite not having all the bells and whistles that Ossian have added and personally i preferred some other modules like Tiberius Saleron's gambit series. That is not to say that this module is bad though, it definately has the best visuals achieved in the aurora engine, and if you have EE i would definately recommend checking it out, if nothing else to support Ossian.

Unfortunately the game ate my save and i lost over 2 hours of gameplay and i dont feel super keen to replay that just now so i dont know when i'll have some sort of final opinion.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Im honestly wondering what is future of Neverwinter Nights, this so far feels like Swan song, we might get the Blades of Netheril and thats it, Swordflight will finish sometimes in late 2023 at current rate, i honestly dont see anything else happening the big tide of 2003-2007 is long gone the revival of around 2012 is long gone as well.
Interesting as hell throught, THQ Nordic is reviving property left and right, Baldurs gate is revived again, Ace Combat flyes again and here we watch Neverwinter nights to gather for one final deep breath. Rest In Peace Neverwinter nights you held the gates long enought.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I played some more and the game seems to open up a bit once you get past elmwood.

The areas simply get bigger. They are just spawling sculpted terrains with barely anything in them.

Swordflight 2 remains the premier NwN module despite not having all the bells and whistles that Ossian have added

Swordflight Chapter II has many bells and whistles. It's got crafting, it's got a pocket plane, it's got random dungeon exploration, it's got custom tilesets, it's got custom monsters, it's got custom itemization, it's got class-specific questing and it's got tons of secrets to discover.

I'll take that over voice acting and a waylayless overworld any day of the week.

And on top of that, bells and whistles are as nothing in comparison to the nuts and bolts. Swordflight Chapter II's got a non-linear quest-dense urban hub that rivals Baldur's Gate II's Athkatla (Calimport). It's got reactivity that isn't often seen outside of Mask of the Betrayer and Arcanum; certainly more than the entire Bhaalspawn Saga put together, and we know how much Athkatla is held aloft by the 'Dex, don't we.

swordflight.jpg

it definately has the best visuals achieved in the aurora engine

Debateable. While Fester Pot's Almraiven and Shadewood lack the fidelity, fidelity isn't everything: it's what one does with what one has. In addition, Swordflight's implementation of the Babylon tileset is as grand as it gets, and the Aielund Saga has recently been enhanced as well.

stoneguard%2Bmountains.jpg

Im honestly wondering what is future of Neverwinter Nights, this so far feels like Swan song, we might get the Blades of Netheril and thats it, Swordflight will finish sometimes in late 2023 at current rate

Good things come to those who wait. As for Aurora's swan song, it's hard to imagine a better sign-off than the Swordflight Series.

Last edited:

CaesarCzech

Scholar
Lilura said:
Good things come to those who wait. As for swan songs, we couldn't get a better one than the Swordflight Series. Pay the author some credit.

The Quality Of Swan song doesnt change its Swan Song, The Ending no matter how good is still an Ending.

rogueknight333 Whats the current timetable anyway ? chapters 5 and 6 are supposed to be shorter ones if i remember correctly ?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
A thing to keep in mind about Lilura assessments is that she thinks a perfectly enjoyable RPG like Underrail is terrible and not worth playing because it isn't as good as Fallout at what it does nor as good as Jagged Alliance 2 at what it does. An "if it's not better than the existing best, then why should I bother?" attitude.
Ahhh,i just ignore that part of her personality as bitching of unsatisfied woman. Tho i do value her opinion on the Renaissance era or what ever era the BG games were from. I am getting confused by all the eras that come out every year. Anyway,her authority and knowledge on those games i pretty legit.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I played some more and the game seems to open up a bit once you get past elmwood.

The areas simply get bigger. They are just spawling sculpted terrains with barely anything in them.

Swordflight 2 remains the premier NwN module despite not having all the bells and whistles that Ossian have added

Swordflight Chapter II has many bells and whistles. It's got crafting, it's got a pocket plane, it's got random dungeon exploration, it's got custom tilesets, it's got custom monsters, it's got custom itemization, it's got class-specific questing and it's got tons of secrets to discover.

I consider those core parts of the gameplay. Voice acting, original music and increased visual fidelity are bells and whistles to me. Those are also things that matter much less to me than the things you mention(but they aren't irrelevant). Swordfight is better but Tyrants has higher production values.

Fishy

Savant
So, never bothered with NWN at the time and thought I'd give it a go with the EE going for €4 mid-week. Any good short modules to recommend? I'm not in the mood for a 200h sweeping epic campaign right now, more for a quick 10-12h thingie. Bonus points if it can play 2p coop and stuff of dreams if it's anywhere near the Dark Sun setting.

edit: found an old list by you Lilura, at https://lilura1.blogspot.com/2017/08/Neverwinter-Nights-Best-Adventure-Modules-and-Campaigns.html anything there that fits duration wise?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I consider those core parts of the gameplay.

Well, six of the eight are "attractive additional features", which is what bells and whistles are. For example, most people won't craft but there is a custom crafting system included.

Bells and whistles is not limited to aesthetics.

Voice acting, original music and increased visual fidelity are bells and whistles to me. Those are also things that matter much less to me than the things you mention(but they aren't irrelevant). Swordfight is better but Tyrants has higher production values.

VOs are generally disliked by literate gamers who can read faster than dialogue is spoken. VOs can also slow the game down because the engine needs to read the audio files. They are ok every now and again, though.

Raw visual fidelity (texture resolution and poly-count) is far less important than artistic implementation. Lighting is far more important than fidelity, too. Despite lacking Tyrants' fidelity, Fester Pot's modules are beautiful simply because he's an aesthete.

The OST has always been great in alazander's modules (in fact, in the case of CToT, I would say some of the very best), but sight and sound production values constitute a small percentage of measuring criteria.

You didn't mention the cutscenes but there are a lot of them. I dislike forced cinematics because they take cam and control from the player. Moreover, they can causes glitches. Most of Ossian's cutscenes are unnecessary.

CaesarCzech

Scholar
@Li
Bonus points if it can play 2p coop

Cave of Songs for MP.

Good short modules include the above + Snickersnack, Snow Hunt and Cormyrean Nights (SP only).

Any Good modules that Feature Evil Characters, preferably higher level ? I figure nothing might beat Gods Themselves in terms of evil characters but perhaps there will be some decent stuff that atleast doesnt shame.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lilura ,does "Swordflight" have a whole module or you have to add them separately,also do you need to play the first one to enjoy the second one or are they separate?

rogueknight333

Arbiter
rogueknight333 Whats the current timetable anyway ? chapters 5 and 6 are supposed to be shorter ones if i remember correctly ?

There is no firm ETA, as I do have other demands on my time, not always predictable. It has generally taken me several years to complete each chapter. The final two chapters are planned to be somewhat shorter, and thus might be completed more quickly, if nothing goes wrong and no unexpected complications develop (either with regard to the modules themselves or my life more generally), but naturally those are pretty significant qualifications.

Lilura ,does "Swordflight" have a whole module or you have to add them separately,also do you need to play the first one to enjoy the second one or are they separate?

The various chapters are separate modules that, with associated hakpaks (for chapters above 1), need to be added individually. They are meant to be played as a continous series (it is technically possible to play each individually, but the storyline would not make much sense in that case).

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I had forgotten that Treasures of the Savage Frontier included a Dragonspear reference.

36-ToSF_6_26.png

Twenty-four years before any infinity engine content.

Six years before. Dragonspear is referenced in Baldur's Gate (one of the books). Additional references are found in Icewind Dale (a weapon description) and BG2 (dialogue).

Sabotin

Scholar
I've finished TotM too.

As everyone else said, really good presentation. The areas, specially the cities, look great, with the new tilesets, atmospheric lighting and plenty of sounds and NPCs doing their things. You actually have to look at it in the toolset to appreciate it fully, even with the expanded viewdistance...

The tilesets seems very polished. Oftentimes these sculpted terrain types have some issues, with odd looking seams/shadows or imperfect walkmeshes where you get "stuck" on seemingly flat ground with mouse movement. Older stuff also sometimes clashes with ambient occlusion. I think in whole Tyrants I had to move with WASD maybe twice?, otherwise it was all smooth even through the thin passageways. I saw EE didn't really improve things with "high" areas though as I had my character walking in the clouds a couple of times in the "random" dungeon in Zhentil Keep.

I don't really have a problem with lots of cutscenes, specially when they're well made. The animations/effects/camera were all unusually well synced. Cutscenes in NWN tend to be quite janky normaly. Sometimes animations can interrupt eachother or you see something that you didn't suppose to. Not a big issue but nice to see it addressed. The "morphing" sequences I guess are something done with that new creature resize functions of EE? They look much better than older attempts at such things, without all the obvious fade in/out of creature spawning on top with default position.

The portraits are a step up from whatever Beamdog is selling (that Fzoul psycho biker look is amazing). Creature models are almost too detailed, but still somewhat fit in, mostly cause they're monsters and not people. Music is nice and fits in seamlessly, I believe there's even a separate track just for the final battle?

Story-wise I thought it was fine, though I'm more of a sucker for personal stories like PS:T and MotB. It's a grand adventure with bit of a BG vibe (chasing bad guy). If anything I'd wish it was more paced. Thinking back it seems like you get the whole exposition from talking to like 3 NPCs? Some more mystery and deeper hooks maybe. The best thing about the writing I thought was actually the various books you find in the module. They essentially describe and give a bit of background on every major area. Very good for worldbuilding as there's references to current goings-on in there too.

The companions... the undead girl stood out a bit from the rest I think (it's not a spoiler, she practically introduces herself with it and keeps reminding you every now and then), has an arc and everything. The fighter had the potential, but, alas... My favorite it's not actually a henchman per-se so I wish Elf could be a party member. I think it'd be better if the companions were a bit more active, too. As is now they have few interjections with most of stuff coming from you talking to them. They are somewhat aware of what's currently going on when you do but it seems a bit inconsistent. Looking at their builds I feel like facepalming though. Rogue got feats for both short sword and dagger but no dual-wielding. Ok technically it's fine. Then you got the ranger/bard/harper (rp) who got dualwield from ranger but also two-weapon fighting feat and even then no ambidexterity. Then again it doesn't really matter in the end.

Quests I'm not sure how to comment. Oftentimes I had the feeling that there had to be something more to them that I couldn't find, like the radiant blade owner, shadovar expedition, thayan wedding, bandit in the slums... Maybe I was overthinking things, but the locktower quest or fiends on the road had more wiggle room.

For gameplay, I'm kinda split, too.

Skill checks seem standard, besides locks/traps there's a fair deal of persuade/intimidate and I believe there's number of instances of animal empathy for talking with animals. Not much else though, but then again other skills have gameplay effects. Maybe some spells are used in conversations, too. I've been able to use charm person a couple of times. I'd recommend avoiding pickpocketing. I've had some weird behavior with some NPCs going hostile, others not, then some attacking each other etc. Didn't get any loot anyway.

Some thought was put into the economy. At first I was disappointed with mostly vanilla items but it turned out to work well nonetheless. Stuff is crazy expensive and sells for little, you can't keep your team in top gear. And most of the time anything you buy is just temporary as you find equal/better stuff later. Just wish there was more named stuff, it really bothers me when I have an endgame +5 greatsword with divine damage bonus named "Greatsword +3" :lol:. Speaking of which why allow divine bonus on weapon upgrades with same cost as other elements, but is unresistable. Anyway yeah, you have a forge with upgrades for weapons although it's pretty limited in options and quite expensive at the start (ehchants/damage/racial enchant).

Combat made me sigh a lot. It's quite varied with many different situations and enemy compositions and effects to deal with. But 99% of the time none of it matters as you just plow through with brute force. For example you have a quest to kill a big toothy monster and then you find it and quickly kill it. But it doesn't die and just kneels down and rises again after a short nap. You know, like trolls in BG2 for example. So it got up 1 or 2 times before I even notice this (it instantly goes back down cause my party is still duitfuly wailing on it). Thing is furry, maybe it's weak to fire damage like trolls but I'm already doing fire damage, so let's see if I have any acid spells or some other elements. Thing croaks before I even open inventory and I'm still not sure what the gimmick was.
You even have hints of stuff you're gonna encounter or items that are good at dealing with something but you can just ignore all that. I feel that the arena was meant to strip you and you had to rely on those 2 potions much more? That random demilich caught me off-guard, is the story behind it supposed to be on the staff you loot? Besides that the toughest enemy would be the adamantite golem. Those lategame casters were kinda iffy even with sequencers. Possibly due to stoneskins being ineffective? Oh yeah, I'm not sure if it's somehow exploitable but I liked the way enemies have a small delay before going red after conversations. I don't feel the need to insta-pause after chats anymore and they got time for their stuff to fire at least.

The module could also use a few more points of interest I feel. Some areas are pretty large yet pretty empty. Outside is one thing (adds to atmosphere) but with a large city quarter and only 1-2 doors that open and nothing else player related going on it feels like a wasted opportunity. Those vampires in a house with a note was a nice tidbit for example. The old Zhentil keep is made for explorations but it also just contains some combat encounters. I thought it was a cool idea (specialy cause it's a "new area" according to minimap) but some of those ruined buildings could have something to them.

As for bugs encountered. I actually only remember one that stuck out, which is an infinite xp loop in a conversation with.. uh.. Alazander. Oh and some mithril golem lookalikes didn't have construct immunities if that wasn't intentional. The biggest issues I had are probably the fault of EE itself. The companions seem to really love the longer view distance as they chase enemies across half the map and they don't even give up if you tell them to follow or stay (they run off again after a second or two). Cormanthor forest was really annoying because of this. The second this is AI can't handle friendly fire. As soon as someone does damage to something they start fighting. Those few times you have NPCs fight alongside you (being totaly useless as is) they mosty just start a big clusterfuck amongst themselves. And everyone is still "blue". I'd advise to disable spellcasting for the harper henchman as she's the biggest instigator with those iron horn spams. Oh yeah and the game crashed like 5 times and ate quicksave on 2 of those. Beamdog, I can't even. Or was this meant to be played on beta branch or something?

Finished game at lv22. You can just start with a naked lv1 character, but maybe bring some money.

I know it sounds very negative but it was still good entertainment and pretty long. And not regretting purchase is the important part right? ;)

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Terrific feedback. Thanks! I'll pass your post along to our lead technical designer. As is customary with large CRPGs, it will take an update or two to smooth out the rougher edges but I'm happy you were able to finish the module with no major issues. Did you find the Cult of the Dragon encounter? The fallen solar?

Sabotin

Scholar
Cult of the Dragon I don't believe so. It's not in one of those random areas you get while traveling, right? The fallen solar... yeah. You know I searched across the whole world trying to use that scroll on any ground marking I could find. Then I gave up and just continued the story and encountered that tombstone and it was just sitting there, silently laughing at me :oops: .

Luke Scull

Ossian Studios
Developer
Cult of the Dragon I don't believe so. It's not in one of those random areas you get while traveling, right? The fallen solar... yeah. You know I searched across the whole world trying to use that scroll on any ground marking I could find. Then I gave up and just continued the story and encountered that tombstone and it was just sitting there, silently laughing at me :oops: .

There's a farmhouse a little south of Angrym's Livery in Thentia that has one of the game's tougher challenges.

Fishy

Savant
Thought I'd start with the base game campaign to get used to the UI. Boy, was that a mistake... I might just dump it and head straight for the player-made modules.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thought I'd start with the base game campaign to get used to the UI. Boy, was that a mistake... I might just dump it and head straight for the player-made modules.

Probably a good idea. You could always start with something like Swordflight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom