Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline On the consequences of buttons

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
In a no-button Codex the cryptic troll would look like a fool, but here I was basically deprived of discussions.
Guess you arrived after "no-button Codex"... :M
But the cryptic trolls of the old are easily ignored! I read old posts, you know.

Shitposter
anyone who was here before buttons knows that it torpedoed the level of discussion on the forum.

but a true wise man knows that DU either doesn't care or literally implemented it for that purpose. and knows he will only respond to this thread with trolling.

edit: errr, i should say, i wrote this before reading the OP. obviously I don't care about "button shaming". my point is that the buttons literally LOOK ghetto and cheap and make the forum look and act as such as a consequence.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Meet Buttons the cat!
enhanced-buzz-13468-1370795482-19.jpg

reported for kitty harvesting

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
people would care less about buttons if button notifications were disabled by default

DarkUnderlord What do you think?
I think you shouldn't get access to buttons until after you've been registered for at least 12 months.

This isn't about the buttons themselves though, but button notifications - the alerts you get when your post gets rated. Chasing you across the site even when you're not looking at that thread anymore. The argument is that if people didn't get those by default, their posts might be better.
Can button notifications exist without buttons? Where would button notifications be without the buttons themselves? Isn't the notification an inherent part of the button process? These are deep questions that need to be pondered. If a user can't press a button but receives a notification that someone else has buttoned them, what kind of thought process does the recipient go through? Is it one of joy and delight? Or is their user experience disenhanced by this unreciprocal engagement? Are these experiences key to the button experience or can they simply be turned off? I cannot say. Only wiser heads than mine who have looked deeply into button research could.

Gregz

Arcane
people would care less about buttons if button notifications were disabled by default

DarkUnderlord What do you think?
I think you shouldn't get access to buttons until after you've been registered for at least 12 months.

This isn't about the buttons themselves though, but button notifications - the alerts you get when your post gets rated. Chasing you across the site even when you're not looking at that thread anymore. The argument is that if people didn't get those by default, their posts might be better.
Can button notifications exist without buttons? Where would button notifications be without the buttons themselves? Isn't the notification an inherent part of the button process? These are deep questions that need to be pondered. If a user can't press a button but receives a notification that someone else has buttoned them, what kind of thought process does the recipient go through? Is it one of joy and delight? Or is their user experience disenhanced by this unreciprocal engagement? Are these experiences key to the button experience or can they simply be turned off? I cannot say. Only wiser heads than mine who have looked deeply into button research could.

Disabling "Brofisted your message" in Alert Preferences has alleviated the issue for me. Many years ago I scanned this section of the preferences, and promptly forgot about it, because who doesn't like getting brofists? I had forgotten this was an option.

In the past, getting a button alert meant you received a Brofist, which was a positive experience. People were rewarded for creating quality content. Now you get notified for negative ratings as well, which has changed the social and psychological dynamic considerably. That's what we were discussing in the OP conversation in shoutbox.

As much as I miss the dopamine hit of seeing all those alert notifications when I login, I don't miss being alerted to the fact that griefer retards like asfasdf rate [NSFW] posts like this, as
rating_prosper.png
, just because they can. asfasdf is deranged enough to have perhaps rated that post unironically, but I won't extend him the benefit of the doubt.

Many people are also annoyed by the 'disagree' button, because people spam it without explaining why they disagree, but that's a different issue.

I can ignore the sociopaths and griefers on this board with the ignore function, and I do, but I can't ignore their lunatic button ratings. At least now I won't be notified. It might be a good idea to rename the "Brofisted your message" label with "Rated your message" for people like me who would benefit from this feature.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Disabling "Brofisted your message" in Alert Preferences has alleviated the issue for me. Many years ago I scanned this section of the preferences, and promptly forgot about it, because who doesn't like getting brofists? I had forgotten this was an option.

Thanks for the tip!

Bring notifications back. People just need to deal with it tbh

Button reactions always will beat the one word "this" responses we used to get

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom