Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Would you play a text-only crpg?

jewboy

Arbiter
I am thinking about maybe making a tactical combat focused but story driven crpg with a modern Windows/Linux GUI and maybe some kind of hex chessboard for combat positioning but with a 'viewport' filled with walls of adjustable-verbosity text instead of graphics. I'd be targeting some blend of a BG2 or ToEE-like combat experience but more PnP since it would rely on imagination for the visuals instead of textured polygons.

Someone might ask why not just use Unity or other middleware, but my concern is all of the extra work involved in making the actual sprites or 3D models and anyway I could always combine a graphics viewport with the text viewport at some point in the future if things got that far. This would be a 'just for fun' project, but who knows where it could lead in the future.

>About 30 meters down the torch lit passage you see a large bipedal lizard with yellow freckled scales and black tiger stripes balancing on its three toed feet with a heavy, meaty tail sweeping around behind it as it investigates something on the ground. It hasn't noticed you yet but it seems to be tasting the air with its long forked crimson tongue flicking in and out like a snake. You can see that its teeth are large and very white with prominent fangs. Could its bright colors indicate that it is venomous?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Get me out of here!
2) Approach the creature and see if it speaks Common and maybe offer it a barbecued rat-on-a-stick.
3) Ready your melee weapon and try to stick to the shadows and creep quietly for a closer look.
4) Charge and attack in melee combat.
5) Attack with a ranged weapon.
6) Prepare a spell.
7) Other [specify].
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the combat itself I would just show a list of dice rolls and the results in terms of hit/miss, damage, armor mitigation etc each turn. It could be single character or party based and you could change combat strategies at any point by changing weapons or spells or positioning etc.

I would also try to create text-based descriptions of the combat itself. Maybe each battle could even get its own flavor from this. I am interested in trying to increase the complexity of crpg combat and perhaps not having to include a unique animation for each effect would help with this. For instance I am thinking of a lookup table for different special status effects that could change the effectiveness of the combat for one side or another depending on the creature and the character class and the weapons used.

Anyway my question is would you want to play a game like this if you found the story sufficiently compelling or is at least primitive KoTC level graphics basically a requirement for a game that you could actually play?

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Of course I'd play something like that, I love IF and consider NEOScavenger to have one of the best combat representations ever.

But if you're gonna be putting all the weight into the text, then you better get fucking gud at it, my dude. What you wrote there is just cancerous. Can you imagine anyone ever wanting to read such an amount of useless description for every encounter?

I know we're all a bunch of autists, but this needs to be way more engaging.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
No coz I've dyslexia. Enjoy snippetted text such as DA:O, can handle reasonable amounts of txt ala BG2, Tyranny, Fallout etc. but walls of txt just make my noggin explode

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Text-only isn't off-putting.

Sounds like a cross between A.D.O.M., [a real] Bard's Tale, and Darklands.

—as mentioned above, the text should be engaging, and at least moderately well written; especially if it is to be the main interface with the player.

I wouldn't of thought it possible, but years ago I downloaded the mod 'Fantasy Quake', and I could not play it due to the low quality of the mesh models. So it seems that graphics do matter—when they are the main feature; so actually it is the main feature that matters, and yours will be paragraphs of text.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Something similar like this?

header_586x192.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/1581/Steve_Jacksons_Sorcery__The_Complete_Collection/

jf8350143

Liturgist
Text only, also known as use your imagination as the graphic card.

However it do begs the question why should we play the game on a computer instead of, you know, pen and paper.

I've always loved the idea of text-based RPGs. Let me imagine what it looks like instead of hiring bad WoW-inspired artists. You should probably use background music though.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
No.

I couldn't play any back when it was a thing, i'm not playing one now, CYOA books were great thought but they involved a physical book, some drawings and real dice.

jewboy

Arbiter
Well I was thinking in terms of an adjustable verbosity level with maybe 3 different levels. I think even Zork had a verbose mode. If you want longer, more detailed descriptions you could set a higher verbosity level. If you think my writing is too awful then you can mute it down to the most basic level. Like "You see a Lizardman." If the project ever became a thing I'd try to get other writers and adjust the descriptive text based on feedback. The above example would be more like a first draft. I only spent a few minutes on it. For me writing quality is rarely the issue behind a crpg not being fun to play. I mostly play for the combat, but I also like the backbone of at least a basic story to give me some reason to be fighting at all.

One problem I'd have is I don't read fantasy novels. So I would not know who to plagiarize. Maybe I'd try to ape the writing styles of some of my favorite others in other genres though. The point of this project would not be to write a great and compelling fantasy story like PS:T but just something to give you a reason to move through the game. One thing I really enjoyed about the really old games as well as PnP is the more detailed descriptions you'd get of most things. It made the world feel more real to me. Photorealistic graphics and great art design can do the same, but it's a lot more difficult and expensive. You can describe a lot more with text especially subtle nuance and you can describe smells. I would use sound effects, but I might also have at least the option to include descriptions of sounds too.

Anyway this is just a viability check of the basic idea. I realize the prose itself could be a challenge depending on how picky the player is. I am certainly no Chris Avellone, but my goal in terms of the writing would just be building a basic backbone of a story and to paint at least some kind of detailed picture for the player even if the wording is a bit clumsy.

jewboy

Arbiter
Text only, also known as use your imagination as the graphic card.

However it do begs the question why should we play the game on a computer instead of, you know, pen and paper.

That is a good question. In this case the answer is just that I would be doing this for fun. Once you reach a certain uh advanced age I think it becomes more fun to write a computer game than to play one, and I would enjoy writing a computer game more than a PnP module or whatever. Also PnP systems are generally for people who have friends IRL of the type to play PnP games which excludes a lot of people from playing. A single player PnP tabletop game might be an interesting challenge though. I also like the idea of porting the game to android devices. This sort of game should play perfectly on a tablet with a properly designed UI.

That's another advantage of text based descriptions instead of graphics. It could be ported to almost anything with the ability to display text. If anything ever gets released I'd want to release on Windows/Linux/Android and maybe OSX if I ever piece together a hackintosh or get rich enough to afford a Macbook. I think I'll be writing and testing it mostly on Linux. Overall I'd like the experience to resemble playing a PnP module as much as possible. If I could find a real artist locally to help me I might even be able to use some PnP-like illustrations for encounters. I was also thinking of trying to implement certain old PnP modules I played as a kid like the always famous Tomb of Horrors. I dunno. ToEE was basically a remake of an old DnD module and that turned out well. Gotta have liches though. And Owlbears.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Verbose and non sound fine. I don't mind wall text when it comes to various descriptions and dialogue, then again I read books from time to time or the newspaper so my mind doesn't short circuit seeing a lot of text (unless its god awful boring tech garbage). Looks like you've got a lot of typing.

The example reminds me more of a set room encounter you'd find in a text adventure rather than just a random encounter. You'll have to write and program some random stuff for that same lizardman doing whatever in individual encounters.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What game is this?

And yes I would love something like this, but it would have to be well written and interesting.

IF = interactive fiction, a fancy genre term for text adventures.

There are actually a couple of text RPGs out there, Treasures of a Slaver's Kingdom is one example.
Kerkerkruip is a parser-based roguelike, even.

jewboy

Arbiter
Wasn't there also a very short and basic text only game people were recommending here some years ago? Maybe it was online? IIRC it was surprisingly fun to play even though I was a bit disappointed in there not being as much text as I had hoped for. I remember feeling like it was fun, but had a lot more potential. That's another point. You could put a whole text RPG up on a web server for people to just play. In fact I think I will do exactly that if this goes anywhere so that I can get feedback from people more easily.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why the fuck is gog not trying to get those games but waste its time on some garbage jap pedo books or pixel shit that nobody cares about?!

One problem I'd have is I don't read fantasy novels.
Good. The only fantasy novels I've read that could be called literature are The Hobbit /The Lord of the Rings and some of the Discworld books. Just make sure to read George Orwell's short essay Politics and the English Language before you start. For a game it's more important to use clear language than it is to write beautiful prose. Avoid obscurantism like the plague.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom