Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I quit gaming and focused on coke and whores. I'm out of money and the women all left. I'm back to gaming except on pay days.

There's an old saying - 'You start out with booze, fun, danger and women. As you get older you can no longer afford the fun and danger, and all the woman leave. In the end you're left with the booze.'

You scratch enough of those off your life ticket, you eventually realize why the world is full of so many drunks. AA will never go out of business. Every generation brings a new bevy of clients.

Machocruz

Arcane
Paris is still one of the best maps I think, but I tend to like the more contained ones. They feel more focused. Some people love the larger, more sprawling ones though like Sapienza and Mumbai. So it depends on what you're looking for. There's plenty of both in the 13 out so far though.
I vastly prefer the indoor missions in all the Hitman games. If Murder of Crows counts as an outdoor sprawling map, it's the only one I've cared for.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Obviously not.

I can honestly say that I've been asked a million times why I play games, and I normally just shrug and say it’s a hobby, but that's a lie. Because when I game, I'm at home. From the flames of Cataclysm to the icy mountains of Tamriel, anywhere I venture is a place I love and know. My entire life, people preach that I could be anything that I wanted to be, but when I told them that I wanted to be a captain of a ship. A SPACESHIP - THE spaceship that saves humanity - that I wanted to be Commander Shepard, they told them I needed to get a grip on reality. To them, a “grip on reality” means the American Dream: Working 9-5 crammed up in a tiny cubicle, having 2.5 kids, a two-story suburban house, and a white picket fence. I divorce once, and I’d have debt into my early 30’s because I took some bullshit university degree that’s supposed to help me in the end. This isn’t reality, this is just some dull outlook on it.

Now, I understand it’s human nature to achieve greatness, but I can do this as Commander Shepard, I don’t need a degree. And if I want to go on an adventure, I don’t ever have to leave the comfort of my own home. People spend an entire salary to travel and I can’t help but laugh. I’ve singlehandedly stopped a reign of ancient wyverns from destroying the nation. To do that I had to learn their language, become a master in swordsmanship, smithing, archery, defense, magic, speech, hunting, and thieving. Not to mention I had to take down an entire fleet of assassins, along with a brigade of smugglers before I could even start my lessons in dragon speak. I’ve always enjoyed an adventure, but I hated pawning my limbs to afford an 18-hour car ride. And aside from being told that I could enjoy a white picket fence at the end of my career, all my years as a student was a balance between fractal formulas and believing I’d never be able to love. Which is literal insanity, I’ve saved Princess Peach. I wanted to become the guy, and I became the guy. I saved Bandage Girl, and I’ve been Link for generations just to save Princess Zelda.

But yet, I’m the eternal virgin, I’m the guy that’s never going to love. Sometimes this shit doesn’t make any sense to me, why people assume that I need to be outdoing something and away from home to have fun. When I have my own reality grasped between my hands, I have my own world at their fingertips. If I screw something up I can rewind time, I can’t do that in real life. When I’m in game. I’m free to do what I please, when I please. I’m free to enjoy things the way I want to. I can build my own kingdom and lead my people to freedom because I’m the mind behind the game. I’m the one who enjoys these games.

I am a Gamer. And I always will be.

This has really moved me. I have to print it and pin it somewhere.

Hower, in my case, I discovered that getting old brings me more free time that I can use for my hobbies, including games. I have no childrens, I had a wife but divorced recently. Now I have a stable job in which I have a conspicuous freedom to decide targets and how to reach them (I am an academic researcher), and getting old, I am becoming, due to experience , much more effective and optimized in getting results, consuming less and less time. Yes, getting old brings also more responsibilities, but also larger teams of people that can help me in the work. I have also now more money to buy games.

Then in a few years I will retire and then presumably my free time will increase even more, substantially.

So I don't see any decrease due to the lack of time. Still I am not sure if I will maintain the interest, or lose it, due to the decrease of interesting games in the future, boredom, new interest, etc. But I think this will be unlikely.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
That point of view is under rated and I have thought about it a lot. When someone asks me why I don't watch sports, I secretly think, you wouldn't ask me such a retarded question if you saw what I do in games. Although I still think real life has a lot to offer, and some of it is better than gaming. Human interaction for one, sure any game is better than shitty people, but nice people or people you are attracted to, tend to beat gaming imo. As does real travelling. I am not interested in going to stay in a hotel and sit by the pool, but if I can go up the Himalayas, or go on a speedboat in a beautiful place, or ski down a mountain or to a nudist beach or an exciting new city, I think that beats most games. Imo the best life is to have all of this combined. Do some travelling, some social stuff, and plenty of gaming. But the expectation to climb a corporate ladder or work hard your whole life is idiotic. Having a lot money is great, if you are lucky enough to find a relatively easy way to get it, but don't ruin your life to try to achieve it. In the end you'll just be the richest skeleton in the graveyard.

Machocruz

Arcane
Most people have no financial education and have magical thinking about money. There are only a handful of careers that can bring you wealth. The way is in acquiring assets or owning a business, not working more or harder for someone else. Money is a resource like any other, and it's manmade, which means it can be gamed. To grind yourself to dust in its acquisition is to attribute mystic qualities to it instead of learning how it actually works. Or the ego is so great it's about outshining everyone else in the company so that CEO senpai will notice you.

I could agree with the idea achieving greatness through a game if he used better examples. But Mass Effect? There is no greatness achieved by the player. The game is braindead and easy and greatness is a foregone conclusion since it's a chosen one narrative and everyone fellates Shepard. But what if you became one of the best at Tekken in the real world? That would be a feat greater than getting a degree in Queer Theory. Games are part of the life experience, they don't replace it, or are replaced by other activities. The experience you are having with a game is playing the game, it's not doing the thing in the game in real life. You can't spend time in Madagascar wilderness and seriously think that fake shit you did to monsters in a game with the fake skills leveled up in that game is comparable. Yeah joke's on those travelers that had an in-flesh experience with the fabric of reality and all five senses were stimulated by things they've never encountered before. What rubes! I looked at the screen and pressed keys! Yeah, I'd rather stay and play Cataclysm DDA than go to Wisconsin Dells again, but still.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't think the 'achievement' is even relevant though, that's not what the point is. Whatever you do in most games is going to be meaningless to most people anyway. This is all about what you feel personally. Life experiences. I've had great feelings like he describes even from games like Monkey Island which are completely linear, I solved the puzzles, yes they were designed to be solved by anyone with an average brain, but still, I came, I saw, I conquered. That's all that matters.

But the saw part is really important. I loved feeling like a world explorer in Fate of Atlantis, one minute I am in Paris, and then I am in the middle east. And then I escaped on a hot air balloon. I am only clicking my cursor around a few hotspots on the screen, but it is about having that experience. It meant enough to me that I can remember it decades later. It is a life experience, going somewhere in a game is arguably no less significant than going somewhere in real life. It is about you seeing things, experiencing things, coming away from it feeling something. You can get that from the real world, but you can get it in gaming too. Some people get it from reading a book, or watching a movie, or building a ship in a bottle. It doesn't matter what it is, what matters is that you experience things that make you feel something.

sullynathan

Arcane
What you do in gaming will be irrelevant to most unless you're one of those top tier competitive gamers who achieve things in the game that directly translates to real life which brings copious amounts of cash.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Man I'm 34 and I'll never quit gaming. I do have dry periods of no passion for it for a month or two at a time, but I always go back strong. I am still just as interested in it as when I was 10 years old. Some of you guys should try to get the childliike innocence back and just enjoy instead of being jaded about gaming.

Just be a manchild like me, what do you mean you cant get childishly lost in fantasy worlds for 10 hours everyday??? - fluent

I dont know what's more repulsive, the stupidity with which you frequently make laughably dumb posts or the basic lack of dignity you have in constantly and proudly announcing that you're a 30 something Peter pan.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I've never really thought about it as something to 'quit.' It's not smoking or a drug habit or something, it's a hobby (I think there people who play games as simply a pass-time but at the point where you are on a forum like the codex discussing games in-depth and have developed very discriminating tastes then it becomes a hobby). There are times that I won't play any games for a long time simply due to circumstances, ennui, etc. but it's not like I am filling the non-gaming time with 100% productive work or some such. As far as games becoming shit so there is nothing to play, yeah it's true, but you can look backwards and find a near inexhaustible amount of older games, and I am content with playing the same older games over and over.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What you do in gaming will be irrelevant to most unless you're one of those top tier competitive gamers who achieve things in the game that directly translates to real life which brings copious amounts of cash.
I think the real question is, wheter it's relevant to yourself personally.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I lost interest in most things when I was drinking. Stopped drinking. Stopped taking brain-draining meds (for sleep and depression - have chronic pain which can make sleep problematic). Regained my interest in everything.

Deleted Member 16721

Just be a manchild like me, what do you mean you cant get childishly lost in fantasy worlds for 10 hours everyday??? - fluent

I dont know what's more repulsive, the stupidity with which you frequently make laughably dumb posts or the basic lack of dignity you have in constantly and proudly announcing that you're a 30 something Peter pan.

We are children of God, our job on Earth is to play. I'm sorry you are jealous but you can do it too. Enjoy your life like a child does. life will treat you much better.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

We are children of God, our job on Earth is to play. I'm sorry you are jealous but you can do it too. Enjoy your life like a child does. life will treat you much better.

Find me a single surviving religion where God prescribes a life of nothing but play. Oh right you're a manchild moron who picks and chooses the parts about God he wants to believe in, which of course are all the parts that require absolutely no effort or submission to anything greater than your immediate needs for pleasure and comfort. Of course a life like this is only possible thanks to the work of others for which people like you gladly leech off. Without a shadow of a doubt I am sure you are either on welfare or you are being supported by your poor mother.

There is nothing to be jealous of; manchildren such as yourself are ruled by their whims and your life is a summary of distractions until you die - what can anyone say about you at your funeral other than boy that fluent, he sure loved his videogames! You have almost certainly missed out on every major milestone in life and I will not at all be surprised to find out that you're still a virgin, but then I'd be even less surprised if you told me you're a fag such would be consistent with your worldview.

And a society consisting of nothing but manchildren faggots like you, content to do absolutely nothing but entertain themselves would not be more joyful it would be hell on earth. You dont love anyone but yourself, parasite.

Deleted Member 16721

Blah blah blah. It goes in one ear and out the other. Either try harder or get a new hobby. Picking on me is impossible because I don't take anything said to me to heart. So you're just wasting your time. You do sound bitter though, I'm sorry to see that.

Cadmus

Arcane
The older I get the more I realize what a complete waste of time playing games is.
I still play some rainbow6 from time to time and whenever something cool and new catches my attention I will play it but I don't think it's a worthwhile time sink.
Got so many things I wanna do besides that, got many things I should be doing besides even those...
Also, games are mostly total shit so there's that.
Fluent is a total moron.
You weren't put here on this Earth to preserve your retarded child-like wonder while looking like a disgusting monkey in your 30s.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I haven’t played in 2 weeks. I’m probably going to take a break for the entire year. I have too much stuff to focus on.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The older I get the more I realize what a complete waste of time playing games is.
I still play some rainbow6 from time to time and whenever something cool and new catches my attention I will play it but I don't think it's a worthwhile time sink.
Got so many things I wanna do besides that, got many things I should be doing besides even those...
Who stops you in that? And who decides that your other hobbies are more important and higher level than our gaming hobby? Unless your hobbies produce something which is benefical to others, you are wasting your time, just like we do. Which is allright, everyone can decide for themselves. Just don't act high and mighty about it.

You weren't put here on this Earth to preserve your retarded child-like wonder while looking like a disgusting monkey in your 30s.
Cut the religious bullshit. You find your own reasons for living, not because something or somebody put you here for their reasons.

Cadmus

Arcane
Who stops you in that? And who decides that your other hobbies are more important and higher level than our gaming hobby? Unless your hobbies produce something which is benefical to others, you are wasting your time, just like we do. Which is allright, everyone can decide for themselves. Just don't act high and mighty about it.

Cut the religious bullshit. You find your own reasons for living, not because something or somebody put you here for their reasons.
I like you, J_C, but considering the elitism on this forum about anything but the best of the best RPGs, I was expecting it to be easier for you to maybe step back and think if really there isn't some difference between pressing an awesome button and pretending to be a wizard and woodworking as a hobby. Not everything is equal, geez.
This is not about religion you fool. Especially consider I was talking to Fluent who I saw on his videos being an ugly, fat, unkempt soi boy. He defends his hobby as if there was some virtue in behaving like a child.
Well, there is, but it doesn't apply to his understanding of it.
I like playing games but it's really hard to defend playing gay fury modded Skyrim (or reading a garbage novel for example) versus doing basically anything in the real world.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I like you, J_C, but considering the elitism on this forum about anything but the best of the best RPGs, I was expecting it to be easier for you to maybe step back and think if really there isn't some difference between pressing an awesome button and pretending to be a wizard and woodworking as a hobby. Not everything is equal, geez.
This is not about religion you fool. Especially consider I was talking to Fluent who I saw on his videos being an ugly, fat, unkempt soi boy. He defends his hobby as if there was some virtue in behaving like a child.
I like playing games but it's really hard to defend playing gay fury modded Skyrim (or reading a garbage novel for example) versus doing basically anything in the real world.
Gaming does not mean you are behaving like a child, I didn't think I had to tell this on this forum.

Also, please elaborate what's the difference between gaming and woodwork? Not from an outsider perspective, but from your own point of view. The end result is that you are doing something which you enjoy and passionate about.

Last edited:

Cadmus

Arcane

Gaming does not mean you are behaving like a child, I didn't think I had to tell this on this forum.

Also, please elaborate what's the difference between gaming and woodwork? Not from an outsider perspective, but from your own point of view. The end result is that you are doing something which you enjoy and passionate about.
The difference between playing a porn modded Skyrim or a similar bullshit and woodworking. Not all things are equal. I didn't think I had to tell this on this forum.
From my point of view the former is an intellectually retarded waste of time playing pretend with something of no possible value to anyone or anything, the latter is a skill. You don't see a difference? Would you rather have your child playing the latest LoversLab Skyrim mod or carving bowls or building a garden shed?
Would you tell them it's all good as long as they are having fun?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
The difference between playing a porn modded Skyrim or a similar bullshit and woodworking. Not all things are equal. I didn't think I had to tell this on this forum.
From my point of view the former is an intellectually retarded waste of time playing pretend with something of no possible value to anyone or anything, the latter is a skill. You don't see a difference? Would you rather have your child playing the latest LoversLab Skyrim mod or carving bowls or building a garden shed?
Would you tell them it's all good as long as they are having fun?

Stop talking about porn modded Skyrem and shit like LoversLab. We are talking about regular, good games. As for skill, sure, but you probably can name quite a few games, which require some kind of skill or intelligence. And even if they don't, the end result is the same for you. You enjoy your hobby, whether it is gaming or woodwork. Even if woodwork needs more skill, it, if both activities makes you feel good, then there is no difference between them. And just like I didn't like when my parents wanted me to stop playing a game, I wouldn't force my kid to carve a bowl, if he/she enjoys gaming in a healthy way. Yes, it is all good as long as you are having fun.

Cadmus

Arcane
I asked what would you like more, didn't say anything about forcing your child to do it.
OK, question answered, we simply cannot even agree that there are things that are more worthwhile pursuing than other things.
Interdasting.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Why would one thing be more worthwhile than another? You can argue it is better to spend your time on something that might make you some money some day, but most hobbies are just for fun and passing time and have little or no potential to benefit you beyond that. Sports are an exception because they have the added benefit of keeping fit. But you can't pretend something seemingly wholesome like carving a bowl or stamp collecting is somehow more worthwhile than gaming. They are really just the same, occupying someones mind while they relax.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Games might be more fun to me when I start working full-time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
You try to be a husband, the wife takes the kids and only leave you her bills each month. (Assuming the kid is really yours.)
You try to work, to be fired by the "corporate family" on the first opportunity.
You try to have friends, the first time you really need them, and all of sudden, they are so busy that you think they are all working in secret to create the new Google.
You try to be a good citizen, the government gives it all to their cronies and if there is something left they buy votes from single moms and lazy people.
You try to be religious, the priest is a closet pedophile.
You try to love your country, while half of your countrymen wants to burn it to the ground for barely explained irrational reasons and you watch them loving people that would gladly murder them and you if they could.

After some time, you stop trying and go play video games, just let the world burn. My problem is the contrary, I wish it was worthy to stop playing video games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom