Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grid Cartographer - Best Tool for Drawing Classic RPG Maps

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
There's no plans for v5 this year. You'll have to live with v4 + free updates instead I'm afraid ;)

The footstep marks work like this. You have a cursor on the map editor (called the 'avatar marker') and you can move it around using the cursor keys. By default it leaves a trail of foot prints behind it:

Dul0Ojb.gif

This is very helpful because you can then go in after and draw in a bunch of walls or w/e it is you saw in the game, in your map.

Grid Cartographer is map drawing program at its core, so it does things to make that easier. You can map any game you like but Game Link profiles reinforce this concept - it's a system that hijacks the avatar marker and allows the game itself to drive the marker around by rapidly copying the player position while you play (the profile itself provides the translation from game state into a position/heading for GC, which is why you need one per game).

For adventure games you can make use of the software too -- like this guy did: http://gridcartographer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2089

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Ishar tracking has a problem when using the latest GOG version.

You can fix it in v4.3.3 using the simple one-line change in the .conf, setting gus=false to gus=true ; or wait till v4.3.4 which will have it working automatically.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Hey Hidden Asbestos , I was wondering if you could add an icon for library furniture. You have bed, chest, etc. but nothing for shelf/rack/etc. I find myself putting books in my map instead there, noting it's a shelf, but it's not the same. Thanks !

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Hey Hidden Asbestos , I was wondering if you could add an icon for library furniture. You have bed, chest, etc. but nothing for shelf/rack/etc. I find myself putting books in my map instead there, noting it's a shelf, but it's not the same. Thanks !

I've added a few new icons for the next update (coin, bookshelf, wardrobe, cross-shape), hope they're useful. Happy to take further requests.

qUUyPyN.png

edit: also there are some traditional top-down stairs in there now too

Last edited:

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
On this day, in 2013, Grid Cartographer v1 was launched!

Thanks for all the amazing responses and kind words over the past 6 years

emot-toot.gif

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Grauken completed work on the auto-tracking profile for Wizardry V on Super Nintendo. That'll be in the next update soooon.
ps. sale is still on :)

Hidden Asbestos

Grid Cartographer
Developer
Sneak peak of massive new game link profile, finally coming to Grid Cartographer in the next update!

Massive thanks to Glaymore for helping to finish this one off from my meagre starting effort.

B2EOHQJ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom