Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TOEE is orgasmic

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Damn, didn't work, it shows quests complete in the journal but the quest NPCs still ask me to do it. I think I need an item to prove I completed it too. Gonna have to wait for CO8 forum to help. In other news, I got ambushed by a huge random encounter of bandit rogues lead by a Robin Hood type character. Interesting, and really tough fight. My first few attempts had them kill my wizzy before I even got a turn. I don't like using raise dead because it lowers their XP so I just reloaded a few times until he survived and then it was a win.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I would like to point out for those who have not soloed ToEE yet it is actually great fun and is really not too hard. You do have to play strategically though. Soloing as a mage is probably the most fun. If you really cannot get past a certain battle you can always hire an NPC just for that one fight. With mods you don't have to worry about level caps and you should definitely be playing with both Co8 and Temple+ even for a first playthrough. Note that this means you should be using Windows 10 instead of Windows 7 because Temple+ is more compatible with 10. I've never been able to get Temple+ to work at all with Windows 7. I assume most people are using Windows 10 by now anyway.
Funny that someone named jewboy is trying to convince people to use windows 10.

Don't listen to this, windows 10 is a dogshit operating system and temple+ runs fine on my windows 7 machine.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Fuck it, I just uninstalled this. I enjoyed the mod to this point but this seems buggy and/or stupidly designed. Also making me wait 4 days to post on the forum and then another 1-2 days of don't give a shit replies, makes think it is not worth me trying to make it work if they don't even care about their own mod.

To explain the bug/mess: I tried every possible method to get the dialogue skill checks to work on a quest, it wasn't working. I was level 13. So I tried console cheats, gave myself 3 levels. Got Indimidation/Diplo up to about 23 ish (maxed for that level). Still didn't work. Gave myself another level, and used a feat to give improved skill and used that on diplomacy. Finally it worked. But at this point I am 4 levels higher which I didn't earn myself which makes me not care about the game anymore, and to do it legit I would have to load a savegame and grind 4 levels of random encounters which is insane.

It may be a bug, or it may be that it is designed to not work unless you have an absurdly high dialogue skill. But if that is true it seems bad to have a game about so many choices, yet force the player to max a certain skill. And there is no way to just skip the quest, and you can't get any other quests without getting past this one. So you hit a brick wall at level 13 and the only solution is to cheat or grind about 4 levels of random encounters without even knowing that you should. Only then can you get past this and get more quests.

TL-DR- Loved TOEE, Temple+ crashed a hell of a lot but overall was a big help, co8 was mostly a let down. I may play through it again in several more years once I forgot stuff and it will feel fresh again.

Last edited:

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
To explain the bug/mess: I tried every possible method to get the dialogue skill checks to work on a quest, it wasn't working. I was level 13. So I tried console cheats, gave myself 3 levels. Got Indimidation/Diplo up to about 23 ish. Still didn't work. Gave myself another level, and used a feat to give improved skill and used that on diplomacy. Finally it worked. But at this point I am 4 levels higher which I didn't earn myself which makes me not care about the game anymore, and to do it legit I would have to load a savegame and grind 4 levels of random encounters which is insane.

It may be a bug, or it may be that it is designed to not work unless you have an absurdly high dialogue skill. But if that is true it seems bad to have a game about so many choices, yet force the player to max a certain skill. And there is no way to just skip the quest, and you can't get any other quests without getting past this one. So you hit a brick wall at level 13 and the only solution is to cheat or grind about 4 levels of random encounters without even knowing that you should. Only then can you get past this and get more quests.
If you're talking about the kidnapped kids in the sewers, there is an item ("crown of discernment" or something) that lets you pass the skill check easily. And AFAIR it's not necessary to finish it to get to the rest of the new content. I never had any problem finishing Co8 new content, whether I did all quests or not.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I was wearing the crown, it gives more dialogue options in the first step. Then the guy walks away and you have to cast charm person on him. Which can work in one of two ways, but either way didn't seem to help. Then you have to talk to him again while charmed, and you get a chance to use diplomacy, intimidate, and some others. But they all fail even with max skill. I would have liked to skip it but I couldn't find any new quests. It is over now anyway. I spent a week to try to figure it out. Installing a new game although I was tempted to play IWD to compare.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I agree with Lonely Vazdru, it sounds to me like your save is just good and FUCKED. I've never heard of someone having this much trouble with that part. If you're using windows 10 then you deserve all the bugs you get.

Billy Pilgrim

Novice
Hey guys, do your merchants replenish their stock? I am playing the GOG version with Temple+

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Why... the fuck there are voiced lines for that... who the fuck plays solo + npc harem.
It's like Skie + Eldoth + Garrick, the most useless party combination actually has some content.
Oddly enough, she doesn't react to marrying Fruella.

Untitled-1.png

Untitled-2.png

Edit: It seems that Meleny lines were intended for something else. Selling her to the gypsy woman, or something like that.

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
1 character + all NPCs can be quite good, actually. Many companions are strong and start out with good level number, the only problem (in vanilla) is many of them want to hoard EVERYTHING, meaning they will pick up heavy junk and clog your inventory if their is full.

Cael

Arcane
1 character + all NPCs can be quite good, actually. Many companions are strong and start out with good level number, the only problem (in vanilla) is many of them want to hoard EVERYTHING, meaning they will pick up heavy junk and clog your inventory if their is full.
Not really. IIRC, most of the NPCs are pretty lousy except for the two uber companions (the drunk and the old cleric in disguise). Meleny is about the best of the lot, and she only has a Wis of 16 or less for a Druid. Co8 buffed her up with +2 Wis, I think.

Max Damage

Savant
Agree to disagree, I guess. I've found Elmo, Furnok, Fruella, Spugnoir, Meleny, Burne, Zaxis, Otis, Schreng, Wonnilon, Oohlgrist, Scorpp and Trommel to be good/great. While some don't have maxed primary stats (Meleny), they often have good/unique equipment, and having 16 for casting stat is still high. When everyone uses buffs, lacking one additional +1 isn't that big, best druid spells are good no matter what, summons are also strong even with meh Wis.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Not really. IIRC, most of the NPCs are pretty lousy except for the two uber companions (the drunk and the old cleric in disguise). Meleny is about the best of the lot, and she only has a Wis of 16 or less for a Druid. Co8 buffed her up with +2 Wis, I think.

Agree to disagree, I guess. I've found Elmo, Furnok, Fruella, Spugnoir, Meleny, Burne, Zaxis, Otis, Schreng, Wonnilon, Oohlgrist, Scorpp and Trommel to be good/great. While some don't have maxed primary stats (Meleny), they often have good/unique equipment, and having 16 for casting stat is still high. When everyone uses buffs, lacking one additional +1 isn't that big, best druid spells are good no matter what, summons are also strong even with meh Wis.

Oohlgrist and Scorpp are just overpowered, on top of that, how often do you get to play a Troll or a Hill Giant ?

Replaying ToEE with a smaller party, a theme or a kind of handicap is interesting too, the character building with Temple+ is that good.

Cael

Arcane
A Hill Giant is ECL 14 without any class levels. Scorp has class levels, IIRC. In other words, he is more than double your level without any class levels, and should never be considered a legitimate companion. Trolls are ECL 11. Oohlgrist is a higher level than all your characters can legitimately get in the module (max 10) and that is before any class levels he has.

Saying Scorp and Oohlgrist as strong companions is like saying Saerilith is a well balanced one.

Max Damage

Savant
I'm glad you agree that some companions are strong.
should never be considered a legitimate companion
That's like saying Scather/Fragaratch should never be considered a legitimate weapon along with BFG, your opinion =/= what is actually in the game.

Cael

Arcane
I'm glad you agree that some companions are strong.
should never be considered a legitimate companion
That's like saying Scather/Fragaratch should never be considered a legitimate weapon along with BFG, your opinion =/= what is actually in the game.
They shouldn't. They got the stats for those wrong, for example. Brilliant Energy is not "always hits". It made the weapons more powerful than they should be.

Having an NPC that is at double the level of your PCs is not "strong" but "utterly broken and should not be allowed". Again, the non-translation from 1e to 3.x shows.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Cael Your opinion is horseshit.
"Regular companions are shit because they're not perfectly optimized, the ogre and hillgiant are too powerful."

But you don't mind optimizing your party to death and casting all the buffs that make them as powerful as scropp and oohlgrist.
Not even talking about crafting or rest spam.

My take is whatever is in the game and you find entertaining, you should use.
And if you find something is overpowered or you want to go for a run with handicaps, it's fine as well, i know i did both and both were fun.

Everything should be allowed, nerfing and balancing is the real plague, along with the no fun allowed police.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom