Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

PapaPetro

I like reading all the nu-journalists hot takes on the WoW Classic "blunder". According to them, once again the customers are in the wrong and everyone should be playing BfA and other soulless experiences.

Any examples?
This one came to mind.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3433928/wow-classic-is-a-step-back-for-world-of-warcraft.html
http://archive.is/o3VEo

PapaPetro

Hopefully investors/analysts motivate Blizzard into the direction of fostering WoW Classic, perhaps doing something novel and maintaining the hype momentum? They already know how history plays out post-TBC, so what if they forked WoW Classic into it's own development path; it's own timeline that doesn't follow the mistakes they've made?

A great opportunity to try a What If...? game where Blizzard made the right choices this time.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I like reading all the nu-journalists hot takes on the WoW Classic "blunder". According to them, once again the customers are in the wrong and everyone should be playing BfA and other soulless experiences.

Any examples?
This one came to mind.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3433928/wow-classic-is-a-step-back-for-world-of-warcraft.html
http://archive.is/o3VEo
Wow Classic is dividng us like Trump!121!!!

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If that trinity is the only thing that exists, why would you want to be worse in any role by design?

Because you can do more than one thing. If you are as good as any pure class there is no point in playing the latter. It's like you don't understand what the word "hybrid" means.

There was a certain prestige to being a warrior knowing you were the only real tank in the game. Without that the warrior class becomes a sad joke, which i think is exactly what happened, all though i didn't play wow long enough to actually experience that retardation.

There's also the fact pure classes have an entire skill set devoted to only one thing. Tanking as a Warrior is considerably more complicated than tanking as a bear, but if the bear is just as good as the Warrior again what's the point then of playing the latter?

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ten Storms has started having a queue within the last 15 minutes, I'd guess. :lol: 48 in queue. The ROLE PLAYING server Hydraxian Waterlords is High population.

To be fair RP servers are always the first to get invaded when people just need their fix and can't log into their server of choice. They won't stick around.

I have been noticing a lot of non-rp names today.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I guess there was a server capacity upgrade some time yesterday and they are doing restarts for 15 minutes right now.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never understood the idea of just logging into another server if you can't get on your main one. It's not like you're going to seriously invest time on another character, and it's also not like doing the starting zones is anything close to fun. Just go play something else for a while FFS.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I never understood the idea of just logging into another server if you can't get on your main one. It's not like you're going to seriously invest time on another character, and it's also not like doing the starting zones is anything close to fun. Just go play something else for a while FFS.
There's gonna be paid transfers, so it doesn't matter that much.

Absinthe

Arcane
Because you can do more than one thing. If you are as good as any pure class there is no point in playing the latter. It's like you don't understand what the word "hybrid" means.

There was a certain prestige to being a warrior knowing you were the only real tank in the game. Without that the warrior class becomes a sad joke, which i think is exactly what happened, all though i didn't play wow long enough to actually experience that retardation.

There's also the fact pure classes have an entire skill set devoted to only one thing. Tanking as a Warrior is considerably more complicated than tanking as a bear, but if the bear is just as good as the Warrior again what's the point then of playing the latter?
Should Warriors get nerfed for being both top DPS and top tanks then? Fury DPS is probably unfair to the Rogues, I assume.

WoW's greater problem here is that the aggro system and lack of decent mob AI makes combat too much about shit like TPS/DPS/HPS meters (a concept that shouldn't fucking exist) because combat revolves around spamming your ability rotations to squeeze out the highest numbers instead of intelligently adapting to changing circumstances. And because it's all about meters, being a shitty tank is worthless and so is being a shitty DPS and so is being a shitty healer. Sucking with a wide variety of options just means you're undesirable in a wide variety of ways when the only thing that matters is the relevant meter you bring in one role. It's trash design to make a hybrid where the hybrid isn't actually viable in most roles.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Should Warriors get nerfed for being both top DPS and top tanks then? Fury DPS is probably unfair to the Rogues, I assume.

WoW's greater problem here is that the aggro system and lack of decent mob AI makes combat too much about shit like TPS/DPS/HPS meters (a concept that shouldn't fucking exist) because combat revolves around spamming your ability rotations to squeeze out the highest numbers instead of intelligently adapting to changing circumstances. And because it's all about meters, being a shitty tank is worthless and so is being a shitty DPS and so is being a shitty healer. Sucking with a wide variety of options just means you're undesirable in a wide variety of ways when the only thing that matters is the relevant meter you bring in one role. It's trash design to make a hybrid where the hybrid isn't actually viable in most roles.
This, kinda. A Warrior is a hybrid too. They aren't a pure tank class like Warriors in EverQuest are. They can either spec for two different styles of DPS and tanking. Priest is the same too. They can spec Shadow for pure DPS, and a pretty good one at that as they brought some extra utility as well. It was unfair and poor design to make the "hybrid" classes unoptimal and showed clear favoritism, or just plain amateurish design skills. A hybrid never played like a hybrid in the raid environment. How often were Druids, specced for healing, jumping into cat form to do some DPS on the side, or maybe going bear to grab an add? This is why the "but they are hybrids so they shouldn't be a master of anything" argument has always been flaccid to me. Yes, they have hybrid specs, but they don't actually play as one, except in PvP.
That said, WoWfags always confuse viability with optimality. A Boomkin is not optimal, but it is viable with the right gear.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If that trinity is the only thing that exists, why would you want to be worse in any role by design?

Like I said, the design of the game is such that you doing everything at 70% just meant you can't compete with the other classes. You can't be 70% of the way to crit immunity or do 70% of the DPS, you are simply not capable of performing the job. Most fights also don't have adds which don't require being crit immune to justify keeping a suboptimal member for when a warrior who is already in the raid can do it. I don't think a hybrid class that can do a little bit of everything was going to ever be more than a meme in this game, it was either reworking the game to include support classes or balance around 1 role which a player can do at any one time.

This, kinda. A Warrior is a hybrid too. They aren't a pure tank class like Warriors in EverQuest are. They can either spec for two different styles of DPS and tanking.

That's the thing, they aren't hybrids in the sense they can fulfill both roles at the same time, same with druids and other classes, they just have the possibility to spec one or the other. Sure, they off-dps when the fight doesn't require more tanks, but that's hardly hybridization or a hybrid playstyle.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That's the thing, they aren't hybrids in the sense they can fulfill both roles at the same time, same with druids and other classes, they just have the possibility to spec one or the other. Sure, they off-dps when the fight doesn't require more tanks, but that's hardly hybridization or a hybrid playstyle.
Read further, that's exactly what I said.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I think my main gripe is with some specs being just flat out stupid a lot of the time. The WoW team plundered so much game design content from Diablo 2--why couldn't 31 points in Retribution give an ability like Sacrifice? There are so many interesting things that could be done with that that I don't think were ever even entertained, while classes like mages have these fucking insane talent trees with multiple, multiple more than viable specs on top of utility on top of being highly valued DPS.

cw8

Cipher
So, how long before the modern day popamole gamers start quitting Classic?

x9Sj02l.jpg

He's gonna have fun with Defias Pillagers.

J1M

Arcane
The way to make "hybrids" or support classes viable is to give them something unique that they bring to the group.

For example, the ability Bloodlust is impactful enough that if you need to bring a lower-performing spec to have it in the group, you are still happy to have that person there.

Same thing with druids and Mark of the Wild/Innervate/Battle Res. Even if a priest is a better healer, you will always trade one to get a druid.

They could have easily gone in that direction by creating interesting support role gameplay, and then giving that role a force-multiplying ability. (ie. A short-range aura that increases melee haste by 20%)

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The way to make "hybrids" or support classes viable is to give them something unique that they bring to the group.

For example, the ability Bloodlust is impactful enough that if you need to bring a lower-performing spec to have it in the group, you are still happy to have that person there.

Same thing with druids and Mark of the Wild/Innervate/Battle Res. Even if a priest is a better healer, you will always trade one to get a druid.

They could have easily gone in that direction by creating interesting support role gameplay, and then giving that role a force-multiplying ability. (ie. A short-range aura that increases melee haste by 20%)

They sort of did this in end of TBC, forementioned Bloodlust and Ret was viable enough to be brought into the hardest DPS check of the expansion for world first kill because of Sanctity Aura buffs and Judgement of Crusader crit increases for entire raid (while upkeeping JoW etc) while just skirting the minimum DPS requirement per person.

But then WotLK launched and every class got everything.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Anyways, Gehennas is queue-free at the moment!
Fucking Gehennas is just a pipedream for people with work. 10k queue when I got off work and I sat in it for 2.5 hours. Still 8k left when I got back just now.

If I can't play on it this weekend, I'll stick to Assbringer even though I'm only level 7 on there right now.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Fun fact: Blizz removed MSAA from WoW on my GTX 750, while old 1.12 client runs with it perfectly, and produces a sharp image.

CMAA is not the same, it's washed out, and I shouldn't need a superpowered videocard to run this engine properly.

Also, player count on the Elysium (emulator) server is still around 500, didn't change at all with WoW Classic release. It's low, but Elysium is the only server that withstood the test of time.

J1M

Arcane
Fucking Gehennas is just a pipedream for people with work. 10k queue when I got off work and I sat in it for 2.5 hours. Still 8k left when I got back just now.

If I can't play on it this weekend, I'll stick to Assbringer even though I'm only level 7 on there right now.
Join the queue when you leave for work. :smug:

GrainWetski

Arcane

Join the queue when you leave for work. :smug:
There isn't a 9 hour queue at 7 am. I wish there was.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom