Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio (Yakuza, Judgment, Binary Domain + more!) Discussion Thread

I guess they wanted to do party-based combat, and thought action combat with (usually stupid) AI buddies can't cut it?

edit:

Yeah, I just saw this on Twitter a moment ago. Kind of surprised they're completely shifting the style of game so drastically.

I think this might make a lot of Yakuza fans mad simply because it's being called Yakuza 7; but if this game, which is essentially a whole new series given the chance of protagonist and location, where called Yakuza RPG instead of Yakuza 7 they'd probably all be on board with it.

I'd guess the people running the show on this one just wanted to do an RPG this time. The combat system in the Yakuza games is basically a simplified version of AKI's wrestling combat system...specifically the less wrestling oriented system they came up with for Def Jam Fight for New York, and those games, and games like them seem to do pretty good with AI buddies.

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant
Well, I'll make a note to my future self to skip Final Yakuza VII the day it comes to pc I guess.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I can't say I am happy with what I am reading so far,the new protagonist looks like a serious downgrade from Kiryu and I am not thrilled with the new combat system,I was a fan of beat em ups and Yakuza games being one of the few games that kept those mechanics was a draw for me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was going to say that I'm fine with a more RPG approach in terms of experimentation, but after looking at that video where I saw what it actually meant, I take it back. I take it all back. Give me the Beat Em' Up style of gameplay. This looks like hot, hot garbage. What in the fuck were they thinking? This is a definite avoid for me.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Honestly I don't mind a studio doing something completely fucking new and promising to change it if it goes bad.

One chance alright you got it.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Honestly I am skeptical that this will bode well for the series.

If they are going for a new gameplay it might be wise to release it as a spin-off rather than new numbered entry of a series. After all it is not uncommon for one failure to completely kill a series nowadays.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find it funny thinking they made the new Sakura Wars an action game and made this a turn-based game.
Shit, you right. That said I'd accept a Yakuza SRPG over a basic looking JRPG like this. This one looks... kinda cheap? Maybe it was just the poison thing.

Turuko

Learned

If they are going for a new gameplay it might be wise to release it as a spin-off rather than new numbered entry of a series. After all it is not uncommon for one failure to completely kill a series nowadays.

Judgement is the spin-off that will remain a brawler
ballsy move imho, but i know nothing about jap sensibilities

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I can't really say I'm upset with the change. More just really surprised since this was a complete left field surprise. I'm willing to give them a chance with this, but it doesn't excite me either (regarding the protag, I don't expect him to replace Kiryu, measuring up to Kiryu's a massive order for the studio).

Also, best spin-off would be a Yakuza 0 spin-off series.

I find it funny thinking they made the new Sakura Wars an action game and made this a turn-based game.
Shit, you right. That said I'd accept a Yakuza SRPG over a basic looking JRPG like this. This one looks... kinda cheap? Maybe it was just the poison thing.
They might also just be doing their usual thing of using unfinished or placeholder FX on moves and stuff, they've done that pretty often since they have pretty tight development cycles. A good example of this is early Kiwami 2 trailers showing Majima lacking his purple Heat aura effects, or Kenshiro lacking Burst aura effects in early Hokuto ga Gotoku trailers.

No major changes probably, but odds are colors and such will get improved and similar finishing touches.

Self-Ejected

Carls Barkley

Safav Hamon
The Real Fanboy
In 13 years they produced 15 Yakuza games with almost zero evolution in gameplay or storytelling. Developers must be tired as hell.

It's got a combat system similar to Yakuza, but it's pretty different too. At least from what I've played of it the primary focus of Judgement is being an Adventure game. It feels like the Yakuza team actually tackling something like Shenmue, where Yakuza was a pretty pure beat 'em up.

Misco Jones

Savant
8vxwok36acj31.jpg

kalganoat

Savant
Game was just announced and the devs have already said they will change it back to action brawler if TB doesn't work out. It really shows how much confidence they have in Yakuza 7.

Turuko

Learned

It's got a combat system similar to Yakuza, but it's pretty different too. At least from what I've played of it the primary focus of Judgement is being an Adventure game. It feels like the Yakuza team actually tackling something like Shenmue, where Yakuza was a pretty pure beat 'em up.

Ah i had no idea, i don't have a ps4, played only the ones on ps3 and 0 on PC recently.
From what i saw i assumed that Jud was in the same mold of the main series

Modron

Arcane
Some of the combat moves were definitely lifted out of Yakuza for sure, but then again that is nothing new as some of the Fist of the North Star moves were lifted from Yakuza as well (that one where he shouts then proceeds to wield the manifested text looked identical to how Kiryu swung a motorcyle around in the clips I viewed). So it would be easy to get that impression from a trailer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom