Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Cat Dude

Savant
To clarify again, the big decision that they made which I dislike and think was a mistake was completely removing third person perspective. The reasons that they gave ("its more immersive" etc) are flimsy and marketing aside its fairly obvious that the actual primary reason why they went with first person only is because sticking to one perspective is easier from a development standpoint. Doubling down and removing third person cutscenes as well is a logical next step from doing that. It makes customizing your appearence pointless, but apart from that, if it is executed well, first-person cutscenes can be equally good as third-person cutscenes.

Having your character be voiced is a good thing if you play as a set character and a bad thing if you can create your own character. This game, despite the "you can create your own character" marketing, is actually roughly midway between those two cases, so for me personally I'd be okay with both a voiced or a non-voiced player character in the game.

I always prefer classless systems to classbased systems, as they tend to be more flexible in allowing you to create precisely the character that you want to make, so I'm cool with that decision as long as you can still customize your playstyle and there are many different viable ways to play the game (remains to be seen).

Resident Evil 2 remake proves that 3rd person shooter worked really well in cramped space. I know it is slow paced but it worked well enough to enjoy the game. Yeah first person for immersion is just bs excuse probably to hide their incompetence of making decent third person gameplay.

Cat Dude

Savant
wepPz33.jpg

:dead:
Now it seems like they cut corners in order to speed up game development.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I usually prefer third person camera for melee combat, as quite often first person melee is poorly implemented (there are some exceptions, I know).

Out of interest have there actually been any videos with melee combat in them? All I remember are the ones with gunplay.

Curratum

You people are too dense to understand that people who actually play immersive sims (and this is going to be more of an immersive sim with some rpg subsystems tacked on than anything else) actually love fpp and hate anything else.

This is why, even though KCD has far less bells and whistles than Witcher 3, I'm actually enjoying it at least as much as W3, maybe more. Because people like me are on the other end of the spectrum - I hate third person and consider any game that uses it inferior. I like to watch everything from a fixed fpp perspective, forever. This is what gaming is for. You can sperge over numbers and class optimization in your Pathfinder tabletop game.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Honestly, didn't they already say FPP cutscenes only for a while now? At the very least, so long as they're able to be as interesting as the one from the 48 minute demo where you get a new eye, I'd be fine.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You people are too dense to understand that people who actually play immersive sims (and this is going to be more of an immersive sim with some rpg subsystems tacked on than anything else) actually love fpp and hate anything else.

This is why, even though KCD has far less bells and whistles than Witcher 3, I'm actually enjoying it at least as much as W3, maybe more. Because people like me are on the other end of the spectrum - I hate third person and consider any game that uses it inferior. I like to watch everything from a fixed fpp perspective, forever. This is what gaming is for. You can sperge over numbers and class optimization in your Pathfinder tabletop game.
You have plenty of chances to see Henry from 3rd person in KCD, don't be silly.

Curratum

You have plenty of chances to see Henry from 3rd person in KCD, don't be silly.

I was referring more to the fact that you play W3 in combat and exploration in 3pp and do that in fpp in KCD.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I was referring more to the fact that you play W3 in combat and exploration in 3pp and do that in fpp in KCD.
The claim right now is that there will be no 3rd person in CP2077, not even in cutscenes and conversations. I don't really like that idea. But it will save them an awful lot of money animating a *now-customizeable, unlike in Witcher 3* face. Also an awful lot of time, which might be more important right now.

Curratum

The claim right now is that there will be no 3rd person in CP2077, not even in cutscenes and conversations. I don't really like that idea. But it will save them an awful lot of money animating a *now-customizeable, unlike in Witcher 3* face. Also an awful lot of time, which might be more important right now.

I'm really ok with that. I don't mind the camera back and forth as Henry talks to folks in KCD too much, but I'm completely ok with one camera throughout the experience.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is not going to be an immersive sim.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I don't know, I need to see that character's face and expression more often. This actually plays a part in immersion more than what they push as an excuse - "you watch through the character's eyes, therefore immersion!" That's a pretty dumb non-sequitur, as people have pointed out with counterexamples.

Curratum

Yeah, a game which you can play start to end without killing anyone and stealthing, sure doesn't sound like an immersive sim to me...

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, a game which you can play start to end without killing anyone and stealthing, sure doesn't sound like an immersive sim to me...

this criteria applies to such a widespread amount of games that you can't seriously think that "stealth and pacifist run = immersive sim." KCD isn't an immersive sim either.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
With its unkillable NPCs, undrivable vehicles and unenterable buildings, it sure as hell sounds like an VERY IMMERSIVE sim to me. Just like in RL, awesome!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom