Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
Ahh.. It seems theres no skill checks, only the background dialogue.
And most dialogue goes, Background, Choose A or B , question.

Maybe i'm missing something..
Screenshot from a few days back:
cyberpunk-2077-skill-check.original.jpg

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Ahh.. It seems theres no skill checks, only the background dialogue.
And most dialogue goes, Background, Choose A or B , question.

Maybe i'm missing something..
Screenshot from a few days back:
cyberpunk-2077-skill-check.original.jpg

Oh thanks. Nice , maybe there's still hope for this game dialogue. Hope this isn't like Fallout 4 where there's like 3 checks entire games..

Cat Dude

Savant
Warband has a better combat system than Dark Souls, so...

Attacking is slow, and the animations and the way your character runs around all the time makes no attacks feel like they have any weight behind them. There is also very little variation in attacks, from what I can tell, there are three types of strikes: horizontal slash, vertical slash, and poke. Some weapons modify the pattern by removing certain attacks. There are no combos as far as I can tell, and the lack of a stamina system, the slow movement speed, and no dodges make the duels pretty boring slashfests, even when watching battles on youtube with very enthusiastic commentators.

You should try it before claiming it's boring. Once you start getting some decent gear and your character is skilled enough, battles become pretty fun.
The attack speed isn't as slow as you're making it out to be, it's sligthly slower than DS (unless your talking about DS3).
There's only 2 types of attack in DS and there's no combos. Plus Warband as more skill base mechanics to compensate, such as chambering.
The weapons in Warband are tied to alot of stats and are influenced by quite a few factors - wich make your choice of weapons and how you attack an important matter.
Not having a stamina system does not make a game's melee combat bad. Like all mechanics in a game it must be carfully though out if it's necessary or not and if it's implementation would enchance the gameplay. And in Warband's case it probably wouldn't since you are expected to partake in large scale battles.

Alas if you don't seem keen on giving it chance than try one of these 3 games: Dark Messiah, Nioh, Severance: Blade of Darkness.
These I garantee you have better combat than any FromSoft game.

unmounted (hell, even mounted) melee is boring and 1 dimesional because the combat AI, no matter the setting, is very basic:

face hug the player and spam attack block/parry player's attack sometimes feint keep moving forward crowd player with available allies

That's the extent of the AI side of melee.

While the combat mechanics were i guess you could say complex and diverse, the animations were pretty poor and lacked the weight of Dark Souls. Very fun game, but not a real fan of the combat.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Just watched the whole thing, it's kinda better than I thought. Quest design and options seem to be decent enough and a step over TW3. I don't know what's wrong with the gunplay I could swear it looked better in the 48-minutes footage.
controller? whoever is playing it made it worse than how it's supposed to be? that's really disappointing compared to what the other smaller-polish studio is doing with FPP in DL2

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The real reason you're all not "excited" about this video is that it doesn't have a narrative arc. It's a gameplay mechanics video with some lore bits tacked on without context. It's the Josh Sawyer of gameplay videos. Who'd be excited by that?

Last year's 48 minute gameplay video told a complete story which is what made it engaging.
Is CDPR paying cash or bitcoin?

Prime Junta

Okay watched the vid and I don't share the butthurt. Only actively jarring thing that jumped out at me was the way Sasquatch swung that sledgehammer, that was slooow and typically vidya-like in an ungood way. But the rest of it looked pretty good.

I certainly don't get the rage about this not being a RPG -- we saw a snippet of two clearly different builds tackling a quest in two clearly different ways, and a bunch of inflection points where they would need to take decisions leading to clearly different outcomes: side with Netwatch, side with the Voodoo Boys, kill Sasquatch, let Sasquatch live, and so on. That's the meat and potatoes of a RPG, even an immersive aRPG like this wants to be.

I'm sure there are better shooters, better brawlers, better sneakers, better immersive sims, and better RPGs out there, but I'm not sure there are many games that combine salient features of all of these into a single package where they work together well. So ray tracing aside I'm liking what I'm seeing.

(Terrific Haitian accents too.)

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Last year's E3 game play video was about a glorified fetch/kill quest basically. Why would anyone get excited about that? It had boobs and nipples though...hmmm... and they also promised for FULL NUDITY to get people's hopes up... liars!

Danikas

Arcane
Last year's E3 game play video was about a glorified fetch/kill quest basically. Why would anyone get excited about that? It had boobs and nipples though...hmmm... and they also promised for FULL NUDITY to get people's hopes up... liars!
Name a quest in any rpg that isnt go get item/ kill/ talk with someone what matters is writing, atmosphere, choice and consequence if you strip down quests to basic elements going to explore the Glow in Fallout 1 and doing Skyrim radiant quests are the same. But everyone knows which quest was compelling and which was banal shit boring busywork.

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Not as progressive as you are with the gender issues huh, CDPR, when it comes to bringing some innovation to game play? You just go with whatever everyone else's been doing. So, fanboys, you gonna work your ass off for that purple Epic Hoodie or the Epic Samurai Jacket?

Glenda Glenn

Learned
There's your problem.

what matters is writing, atmosphere, choice and consequence
A fetch quest is still a fetch quest no matter how well you dressed it up.

everyone knows which quest was compelling and which was banal shit boring busywork.
It's all a "boring busywork" when your game is designed around a stupid run-of-the-mill story. They're there to let you advance in that stupid story. See my post above if you wanna know what I find "compelling" in games.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Yeah, shoot em up, or hack the soda machine. Is this the limit of "first-person-immersive-sim-akshun-rpg-whatever" design, really? Am I too old for games yet, or are just game designers creatively bankrupt?

I've been following your rants on this thread and elsewhere lately and it strikes me that yes, you are likely going through some kind of personal crisis. I would suggest you see a priest, psychiatrist, or sex worker about it ASAP.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks, Dr. Freud. It's definitely not a crisis, on the contrary, I have excess energy which I put into calling out bullshit in situations where I wouldn't do it before.
Recent footage of me:

Anyway, the bottom line is this looks like a game I've played many times already, with a story which will probably be original enough to keep me engaged. After all, I am a big Deus Ex fan, this is my first Cyberpunk game, CDPR are strong in the story and writing department (one of the few studios who are), and it has Keanu in it.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Okay watched the vid and I don't share the butthurt. Only actively jarring thing that jumped out at me was the way Sasquatch swung that sledgehammer, that was slooow and typically vidya-like in an ungood way. But the rest of it looked pretty good.

I certainly don't get the rage about this not being a RPG -- we saw a snippet of two clearly different builds tackling a quest in two clearly different ways, and a bunch of inflection points where they would need to take decisions leading to clearly different outcomes: side with Netwatch, side with the Voodoo Boys, kill Sasquatch, let Sasquatch live, and so on. That's the meat and potatoes of a RPG, even an immersive aRPG like this wants to be.

I'm sure there are better shooters, better brawlers, better sneakers, better immersive sims, and better RPGs out there, but I'm not sure there are many games that combine salient features of all of these into a single package where they work together well. So ray tracing aside I'm liking what I'm seeing.

(Terrific Haitian accents too.)

I can bet you that none of the quest in 2077 will have the diversity of the fort deadlight quest in Deadfire.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom