Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG’s with yuge and complex maps

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Can you guys give me a list of RPGs with large complex worlds/large convoluted mazes, dungeons, towns, etc.

Hybrids are allowed like a System Shock.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Can you guys give me a list of RPGs with large complex worlds/large convoluted mazes, dungeons, towns, etc.

Might & Magic X : everything is a maze ... :negative:

Wizardry 8 : every dungeon is a maze, retro dungeon is a nightmare.

Might & Magic (3 to 7), mostly dungeons with huge worlds, some mazes outside though (like in M&M III, lava area )

Arcanum where every dungeon is a (poorly designed) maze.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Underrail: 5 levels of global map, each with about a hundred locations, sometimes connected only between levels, sometimes with other places on the same level, sometimes through ventilation vents, creating an enourmous maze.

And each individual location is several screens large, sometimes a maze in itself (like the Rathound King labirynth).

And I even did not mention the expansion, which adds another 250 locations.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Eye of the Beholder was pretty good as I remember, especially when the stone portals opened up, got pretty complex but was do-able if you mapped and explored.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The CRPG subgenres derived from Wizardry and from Dungeon Master both feature complex dungeons in (nearly) every game within these subgenres while having little if anything outside the dungeons.

Rogue-likes can manage even larger dungeons (or sometimes overworlds), by relying on procedural generation, but with ASCII characters instead of proper graphics.

Daggerfall, I think, still holds the crown for the largest graphical overworld in a CRPG, since it used procedural generation to create a landmass with an area of around 80 thousand square miles, but this area was so vast that it couldn't be traversed directly. Morrowind scaled down the gameworld to make it playable while still creating the impression of an overworld true to the size it represents. Daggerfall also contains vast, procedurally-generated dungeons, where the player needs to rely on the 3D auto-map so as not to be lost. Morrowind's hand-crafted dungeons are generally much smaller, but there are few notably large ones.

The Souls games have reasonably convoluted levels.

The original two Fallout games have sizeable, complex worlds, though most of the content occurs in a handful of discrete locations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Truth be told, ARPG it might be but Bitterblack Isle is a beaut.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fix that title before I think we're talking a certain card game.
rAJQcmy.jpg

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Eye of the Beholder 2 is like one gigantic dungeon, and has a sub level where you can't rest, and some traps that turn your party automatically. So unless you pay close attention to your compass, you keep getting turned around and confused. It also has some sub-sub levels which require keys etc. I can navigate that entire game without a map though because it is generally not too complex and I know it so well. The first game needs a map because it is maze-y. The third game I can navigate myself too although it is big and harder to do without a map, and there is also a confusing bit where you climb through holes in bushes that bring you out in different places. I love the EOTB series but it isn't that big, I can think of a lot that are bigger and even more complex.

Most RPGs have big and complex maps though. Even shitty modern RPGs. But as usual, the best game for this is Everquest. I doubt there is an RPG game world that exists which is as big as Everquest, not including procedural / space games. Also the dungeons are bigger and more complex and have the best layouts of any game ever. It is also more of a real hardcore RPG than most single player RPGs. There are towns in the modern version of the game that would take you all day to explore, maybe 50-100 buildings that each have a purpose and things inside. And it is just one of maybe 100 cities. The world and locations is one of the best things about it.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Damn Elder Scrolls maps are pretty massive (esp the outside). I can only say that for the first two as I never played the later ones (daggerfall burned me out).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom