Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

cRPG developers please stop using Unity.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My kingmaker savefile was 60mb near the end of the game — compressed.

Given how much content there is, I believe it. But don't certain areas disappear once you move into a new act? Seems like they could dump a bunch of no-longer-needed data once you move into a new act.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Unity engine also ruined Dreamfall Chapters which is the finale of my favourite adventure game franchise The Longest Journey.

Actually the developers at Funcom ruined the sequels to The Longest Journey. The engine itself didn't ruin anything.

deama

Prophet
My kingmaker savefile was 60mb near the end of the game — compressed.

Given how much content there is, I believe it. But don't certain areas disappear once you move into a new act? Seems like they could dump a bunch of no-longer-needed data once you move into a new act.
Nope, they all stay. Though sometimes they add new events to the old areas so removing them might not be a great idea.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
Please for the love of God don't use unity engine, I really love Pathfinder and PoE I & II but what prevents me from replaying these games is the frequent long loading screen.

it doesn't matter you have the game installed in SSD or have high-end CPU, you are going to spend half of your playtime looking into the fucking loading screen.

Why the goddamn screens are so frequent, start the game loading screen, go to the world map loading screen, have random encounter loading screen, get out the the encounter loading screen, go to town loading screen, go to a house or cave loading screen, manage your kingdom loading screen, visit a town/village loading screen.

same shit with PoE & PoE II which get much worse in the cities because every house requires a loading screen to get in and out which get tiring if you want to finish a couple of quests you have.

Now let's look into divinity, is just one loading screen and that it, there no loading screen for encounters or going into houses or dungeons or anything.

Like Please just stop with Unity, I prefer one long loading screen over frequent small ones, I mean there dozens of graphic-intensive open-world games that have faster and less frequent loading times than any cRPG made in Unity.

My game loads all the maps at once. Then i just disable/enable "scenes" as needed.
The map travel system however featres a meter/bar that sort of fills up.
Really i calculate the distance to your desired location and subtract from the value on a timed loop. I also am rolling for chance at random encounter the whole way.
Don't worry you don't lose progress if you get an encounter. It remembers how far you've gone.

I will not be switching away from Unity for this game i'm referring to.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom