Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Are there any guyz who quit gaming entirely?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Last games i enjoyed were Sekiro and hollow knight.

You should try DMC 5 and RE2 Remake then.
I have tried it but i couldn't stand controls clunkyness as i have stated in anothe thread

You tried both games?
Also I don't really understood what you mean by clunkyness since both are pretty responsive (DMC specially so).
I've only tried DMC . What does RE stand for? resident evil?
By the way as i explained in another thread, i didn't like that to perform basic actions you had to press several buttons at once . To dodge you have to press 3 buttons. Locking on is super uncomfrotable, since you have to keep pressing right stick, and at same time move and do your combos

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This a million times. Jigsaw puzzles are the most retarded form of games, they are almost like a scam. "Here, we have this nice big picture, let's cut in to 10.000 little pieces so you can put it together again." If we had videogames with that type of gameplay, they would be ridiculed back and forth. Playing games can be much more rewarding, either from a narrative perspective, or from gameplay/challange perspective.

TBH I never really thought much about comparing jigsaw puzzles to vidya games.
So a jigsaw puzzle is like you say. A picture that is pasted on heavy paper product and then cut up in to distinct geometric shapes which are then to be re-assembled using the shape of the pieces and partial image analysis as clues.

Somewhat like..Tetris. Except Tetris isn't using a picture as the main guide or clue. Tetris is assembling geometric shapes in various positions to complete a pattern. The more complex the pattern completed the better the point score.
I guess one could argue that there is actually an underlying picture within Tetris. As a player is monitoring the falling pieces they must form a picture that they hope to achieve through waiting for certain shapes to drop, while mitigating poor or not immediately useful drops . Player gets a square but wants an L, so the player shifts the square to a different position. etc etc.

Of course Tetris wasn't ever very popular and neither were jigsaw puzzles, which existed long before vidya games or even pooters.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What does RE stand for? resident evil?

Yes!
Since you mentioned Hollow Knight I'd figure you might like it as the game is somewhat similiar (focus on exploration, inteconnected level design, dangerous combat and an emphasis on managing your resources).
As for your DMC complaint. That's not clunkiness since that implies stiff, slow movements and "difficult" controls to work with. DMC controls aren't one bit difficult, you're probably just used to the Souls games permanent lock-on. Trust me after 1 or 2 hours you get used to it. Besides dodging in DMC combat isn't as near as essential as it is in Sekiro, you're suposed to be always on the offensive in DMC - plus you're better of jumping over enemies to dodge their attack than you are utilizing the dodge (unless your dealing with bosses).

Of course Tetris wasn't ever very popular

:nocountryforshitposters:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I felt the same way a few years ago. Things change, and I found I'm happier embracing it even if it makes no sense to my monocled codex self and its penchant for hypertrophic rationality. Jigsaw puzzles are nice because you can do them on the porch with your spouse while slurping the disgusting lemonade you bought from the neighbor's kids, and then you frame the whole thing and put it up in the house as a reminder of that moment. If that's too banal or sentimental for you, just slap the label "tactile experience" on it and you can have a theoretical debate as to why that does or does not trump challenge or narrative.

My wife and I often play Scrabble or card games with some smooth jazz playing and a nice bottle of wine. I'm not saying you're wrong to enjoy this kind of thing, I'm saying acting like games are an inherently inferior way of spending time is weird. Everyone needs alone time, everyone needs hobbies outside of their marriage or socializing. There's room in the world for many different interests.

Siobhan

Arbiter
games are an inherently inferior way of spending time
I never said that, you keep interpreting it this way. I'd say what games do is perfectly okay because I don't think being an excellent time waster is an inherently bad thing. But it makes games a bad choice if you want a hobby that doesn't take a lot of time and provides more than just enjoyment. If you want something relaxing, or intellectually demanding, or challenging, or social, or emotional, or educational, or profound, or enlightening, or metaphysical, or practical, or useful for daily life, there's gonna be some other hobby that's a better fit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I never said that, you keep interpreting it this way. I'd say what games do is perfectly okay because I don't think being an excellent time waster is an inherently bad thing. But it makes games a bad choice if you want a hobby that doesn't take a lot of time and provides more than just enjoyment. If you want something relaxing, or intellectually demanding, or challenging, or social, or emotional, or educational, or profound, or enlightening, or metaphysical, or practical, or useful for daily life, there's gonna be some other hobby that's a better fit.

I disagree quite a lot that games aren't as profound, challenging or enlightening as doing puzzles with your wife, but whatever... we'll just go round and round if we keep going.

Swigen

Arbiter
I’d rather do a puzzle with Siobhan’s wife than slog through the rest of Persona 5 this weekend.

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
I remember (vaguely) when our family would take a holiday to the beach for a couple of weeks one of the ways we entertained ourselves was puzzles. My mother enjoyed them and we would all pitch in to complete the puzzle. They are a good way to connect with people who don't want or aren't capable of competing with me in multi-player FPS games. My mother doesn't even know what Counter Strike is and her computer can barely run Microsoft Solitaire. So the only way to dominate her in games is by out puzzling her. Of course she is pretty good at card games like hearts and bridge. Now that I think of it she probably ignores computer games to pad her k/d ratio. :argh:

Let's face the reality here. incels and faggots aren't going to join a group of friends or people at a party to play Jenga. I mean seriously, socially engage with normies? Not when they could be secluded in a dark dank room carefully working their way through a virtual dark dank room filled with traps, enemies, and Epic Loot. In gamer's defense the dating culture and torture a man has to go through to find a girlfriend, date, become involved, promise to be monogamist despite all the candy walking around on high heels, make a commitment, get engaged, get married, keep a steady miserable job so kids can stay in "that" school, become dissatisfied, sex life declines, separate, get divorced, lose everything you worked for (house, car, salary, her friends, kids, pets), end up in some apartment close by the house you paid for just to be able to see the kids once in a while, feel the pain of loss of affection, and on and on. Better to develop a life long social crutch of interacting solely through online means because real men don't need love.
:despair::0-13:The End.

Machocruz

Arcane
In gamer's defense the dating culture and torture a man has to go through to find a girlfriend, date...
Pump your brakes homey. That's the problem right there. Girlfriend? Date? Western women are for temporary fun, nothing more. "Candy on high heels" indeed. Guys are 100% better off playing video games or doing any other hobby if they are just going to waste their time with that old square way of thinking about and interacting with chicks. At least here in the States, player way rules, everyone else is getting juiced by these females, whether for attention or resources. That's why squares are complaining about sociopathic Chads and dusty ass Tyrones fucking Stacy. There's a homeless guy going around sleeping with tons of women. Stability? Monogamy? Those are outdated concepts.

Back when I was using online apps and had homeless family members staying with me, I had to "date" women because I couldn't just talk to them for an hour over coffee then invite then back to my place. It was awful. Degrading. Phony. So much time wasted, and the women would just ghost anyway by the second or third date because most want to get fucked fast. Treat them as low priority but just good enough so that they feel wanted, and they'll be the ones proposing marriage. Which you don't take.

But I don't think that's really it. I notice the fallback for people who have or think they have societal woes is always video games. Not drawing, or woodworking, or programming (maybe because it takes a lot of work before you see rewards). Because they are fucking addicted to them, because video games can be seriously engrossing, which we all know. They'd be playing all the time even if they had a million friends and a mate for every day of the week. I think they're blaming society when normies comment on or criticize their constant playing, as a justification. Step back and the behavior of a lot of people in game forums is obsessive. Many geeks lives revolve around entertainment releases. Each big film, game, comic, TV release is treated like Hailey's comet or lunar eclipse. I have friends like that. And none of their lives have gone anywhere, they haven't evolved in 20 years. Too distracted by entertainment to focus on their education, skill development, getting basic everyday tasks done. Not having shit is one thing when you're 22. Not having shit in your late 30s and 40s is soul killing.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
There's a homeless guy going around sleeping with tons of women.
That would be me.

I notice the fallback for people who have or think they have societal woes is always video games. . Because they are fucking addicted to them, because video games can be seriously engrossing, which we all know.

Yes 100% Also, for me, video games were better than drinking or drugs and cost very little short term at least. Long term cost of gaming is as you say "soul killing".

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
video games were better than drinking or drugs

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

AHAHAHHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

WRONG

donald-trump-smiling.jpg

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
For me...I have drunk enough for 10 lifetimes. )))

You guys have at it.

No surprising conclusion after some tests but... reducing gaming in your life is pure profit for both your own gaming satisfaction and mental health.

It's not 90's anymore, gaming is not worth your time and effort. It was fun back then, durin the times when you saw a revolution every month but now it's over, all that's left are nostalgia leftovers and some derivative, overhyped fads.

No surprising conclusion after some tests but... reducing gaming in your life is pure profit for both your own gaming satisfaction and mental health.

It's not 90's anymore, gaming is not worth your time and effort. It was fun back then, durin the times when you saw a revolution every month but now it's over, all that's left are nostalgia leftovers and some derivative, overhyped fads.

This is why most of my gaming time is spent playing stuff from the 90s. It's all easily accessible for free as well.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

I don't see it as a coincidence that autist gaming addicts also tend to complain a lot about depression and anxiety. It's not rocket science. Spending too much time in a room staring at a screen expecting your virtual interactions to be able to replace real ones is a guaranteed ticket to crazy town. Not trying to proselytize, but too much of anything isn't good, but especially modern technology and conveniences that do a poor job of replacing real world body/mind mechanics that have taken thousands of years to develop.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!

I don't see it as a coincidence that autist gaming addicts also tend to complain a lot about depression and anxiety. It's not rocket science. Spending too much time in a room staring at a screen expecting your virtual interactions to be able to replace real ones is a guaranteed ticket to crazy town. Not trying to proselytize, but too much of anything isn't good, but especially modern technology and conveniences that do a poor job of replacing real world body/mind mechanics that have taken thousands of years to develop.

Its no coincidence, the gaming community is just entirely dishonest and sophistic about their habits, and the impact of gaming on their lives. You see this regularly with the trotted out gambits like "everyone plays videogames these days!" yes, my friend's 60 something dad plays Forza with a steering wheel once in a blue moon with his son. YOU spend upwards of 50 hours per week playing video games. "gaming is just a better form of entertainment, everyone needs entertainment" again, this is dishonesty about the degree of an activity. If you knew someone who spent 50+ hours per week playing scrabble or watching films, you would think something is wrong with them. And so on it goes in this fashion.

Theres nothing objectively wrong with video games no.. There IS something wrong with people who have literally thousands of hours in 100s of games, who routinely compromise their real lives because of their incessant, child like need to be maximally stimulated and entertained for their waking hours. The problem is that many "gamers" have successfully deluded themselves about how extreme their habits or "hobbies" actually are.

I don't see it as a coincidence that autist gaming addicts also tend to complain a lot about depression and anxiety. It's not rocket science. Spending too much time in a room staring at a screen expecting your virtual interactions to be able to replace real ones is a guaranteed ticket to crazy town.

What you have written it's correct and obvious but that was not my point. Even if you are spending 2-3 h per day on gaiming (amount of time which most of you find reasonable) it's still too much. Asumming that you are no beginner and have been in this hobby for quite a while, you propably hit the peak with best games, your taste has been ultimately formed and there are very small chances for another 10/10 experience, only geams worth sacrificing you free time on larger scale.

It's only recently that I've realized that gaming was fun not only because games was fun but also, there were advancing extremely fast so until so point it was like - better tech + better games.

What was e.g. Id Software to me back in 90'? Innovative mechanics + bleeding edge tech + killer music. You haven't been waiting for fun games, you were expecting a REVOLUTION an they delivered. Doom 3 wasn't 'true' Id gaem by this definition.

A video game 3D graphics died with blur and lens flare abuse (like in 2007? Crysis 1 is the borderline as the last truly impressive one.)

You can relese Quake 5 or Doom 5 but it is not possible to make those brands great again.

I've seen many of my former 10/10 franchises falling from grace through years... Street Fighter, Command an Conquer, Diablo, Warcraft, Doom (fuckin' 3!!!!!), Half-Life, Unreal etc. Basically, all that's left are Mortal Kombat and Shin Megami Tensei... plus there are no fresh brands that can keep up my interest an join classics... Bulletstorm had potential but it's just a dead name now...

I'm sure I'll squeeze 300% out of SMT5 once it's released but it will be a single bright moment after months of gaming hiatus before and after.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
It's Star Wars syndrome. That's the best example I can offer. You have a creation that was super popular that itself was a reiteration of an even earlier creation, then when it's time to 'freshen' it up, the public shits on the attempts at bringing in new ideas or faces (or social justice/politics/virtue signaling). Finally, an attempt is made to play the nostalgia card and bring back the memories of old so at least those who enjoyed it originally can have one last taste. As the brand dies, its bones are bleached and cratered out for any last bit of marrow, and the industry moves on.

The game franchises you mentioned are the same. What else can you do with Quake, Doom, Warcraft, or Street Fighter? They are what they are. Aside from a fresh coat of paint and maybe the injection of more womenz and minorities into them, the creators of these brands are bankrupt creatively. With the recent years' plate full of tired franchises and sinking returns on investment, it's clear that the gaming industry is no different than those in television or film. There's nothing new under the sun, yet these people are constantly trying to find new ways to convince you that each morning you're seeing it for the first time. I guess my cynicism blinds me to the worries of it. I never expected a revolution. I was happy with 'more of the same' from the classics we all love, which even that we no longer get due to everything having to be pussy-fied for the millennial and Gen Zers. I sniffed the shit in the air back in the mid 2000s, and my shit-dar wasn't far off.

We had a good run. The 90s through mid 2000s gaming was pretty great. It's like the 70s and early 80s films. You get small windows of new creators trying to find the best way to tell stories and entertain. Then the suits show up once the method works, and the thing you loved is suddenly plastered on a Taco Bell soda cup and millions of young children are barking out the catch phrases. Hell, most of the kids playing Doom-reboot these days weren't even alive when the OG Doom came out. You can sneak through a lot of copy/paste mediocrity into the generational overlaps.

So TLDR, enjoy the classics. They'll never go away so long as our our hard drives will hold them. Just don't expect a sudden new well spring of creativity from a group of designers and developers that got lucky riding a business platform during its peak. Indie devs these days are experiencing the hangover of what happens AFTER the gold diggers have already blown through town.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You faggots are over analyzing this shit, games were in :decline: when I got my first Atari in 1986, and yet there're still titles which make me forget time an play for hours: Star Sector, ATOM RPG, Kingmaker, Grim Dawn to name the few. You don't remember how many bad games were released during nine-ties, as to hobby sure its not as creative but everything sucks those days: Churches, Movies in Cinema, restaurants, bars where you don't even are allowed to smoke, even brothels are lame in current year cause you need to use condoms. :decline:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom