Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

GrainWetski

Arcane
I imagine most of them just took a week or two off work.

BFA cunts seething

cw8

Cipher
Just curious, where do they get so much time to play? Are they playing everyday for the whole day? I'm always envious of people who don't have to work.
Not everyone is a wageslave.
I used to pull off "4 days played" level 60 just by following Johana's guide. It's been 7 days since release.
4 days played = 96 hours. That's 14h hours a day for 7 days. Which is EASY, and it leaves you plenty of time to sleep.
But if you're in a guild, you can do dungeon farm runs and you can do it way faster. So I don't see the problem.

Depends on where you live, here it's work or starve. Our gov won't pay us a cent if we are unemployed or choose not to work but the bills still go on.

I only reached 60 in months time during vanilla. Did everything the slow way, quests, exploration, dying a lot. Mostly playing with my other 2 friends or solo. Joined the local guild halfway to 60, but still did everything alone or with some close friends. Learnt arggo, pulling and optimal mana regen the hard way in 5 men dungeons, died a lot too. Stuff like UBRS was an uphill curve. Same for when we first started MC, wiped continuously even on the starting mobs at the entrance until we got the hang of it which was days. Not sure how long we finally cleared MC? Months? By the time we reached the Spider boss in Naxx, vanilla was end its end and BC was looming heh.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Taking a week off of work is not a new and surprising concept. Given the fact they've been doing this for years on every private server means they've also optimized everything, including themselves. Blizz should've buffed the raids.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Just curious, where do they get so much time to play? Are they playing everyday for the whole day? I'm always envious of people who don't have to work.
Not everyone is a wageslave.

I used to pull off "4 days played" level 60 just by following Johana's guide. It's been 7 days since release.

4 days played = 96 hours. That's 14h hours a day for 7 days. Which is EASY, and it leaves you plenty of time to sleep.

But if you're in a guild, you can do dungeon farm runs and you can do it way faster. So I don't see the problem.
Nowadays it's not the lack of time really, it's that I get sick of playing the same game longer than 1-2 hours at a time. After that my body is like, brother, you gotta go for a walk/jog/read.

This includes games I love!
There's only one game that made me want to play it like when I was a kid, and that was Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I no-lifed that every second I was not at work.

cw8

Cipher
Nowadays it's not the lack of time really, it's that I get sick of playing the same game longer than 1-2 hours at a time. After that my body is like, brother, you gotta go for a walk/jog/read.

This includes games I love!
There's only one game that made me want to play it like when I was a kid, and that was Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I no-lifed that every second I was not at work.

Used to be able to pull off more than 10 hours a day gaming if not working easily back then. My Alterac Valley sessions in vanilla was easily 8-9 hours continuously without interruptions, those AV battles lasted for 2-3 days. Now, I'm lucky to get 5-6 hours of gaming. After that, fatigue just sets in. Fuck age, I rather game more.

Pathfinder was just magnificent. Played through it so eagerly like I was playing through Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time. Haven't had that feeling in a long while.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Odd that that janky game would make us feel that old itch again. But makes me optimistic we will feel similar about future RPG releases, if they're good enough.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
But I thought people were saying private servers got it all wrong. Well, they did, in the sense that they didn't go through all the patches, but Blizz themselves didn't as well, so so much for that.

Last edited:
Well shit, the honor isn't in yet, I was planning to sit in STV and pvp all day, but I guess I'll shelve it for the time being, since without incentive most people don't even fight back that much (if at all) and I end up feeling like a dick.

:negative:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Well shit, the honor isn't in yet, I was planning to sit in STV and pvp all day, but I guess I'll shelve it for the time being, since without incentive most people don't even fight back that much (if at all) and I end up feeling like a dick.

Don't let that stop you. You're not getting any significant amounts of Honor from killing people that way in either case. All that matters is doing BGs, and winning them.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm kinda bummed by how out of whack the exp rate.

It's too quick.

I recall doing quests for my level range in one area, say the Barrens, and beginning to run out of them too low for the next stuff in line only to check over to Silverpine and get enough to fill that out, then run out there and continue off where the Barrens continued from in Kalimdor. Here leveling I'm starting to abandon a lot of quests and picking areas over others because I'm simply out leveling. It's annoying from a nostalgia stand point coming back to trounce through the same old leveling cycle only to have it rushed and skip shit.

As it stands I'll prolly head down to Thousand Needles, maybe do some Ashenvale and bypass much of Silverpine and Stonetalon. The most annoying thing for me with that is wanting to investigate and pick through what quest lines would give the best loot to focus on, but I don't wanna dig like that.

Makes me feel that WoW is actually less able to be fiddled with for a Classic experience as something like Everquest, since in EQ speeding up the grind is the heart of the game, while the leveling rate in WoW is intimately tied to the pacing of quests.

Ironically for WoW, the only thing that's really fun is grouping shit, but not the open world. RFC and WC were nice given the base competancy being higher it seems, even if some were idiots not targetting healers and shit.

Keep in mind I'm someone who hasn't really played since 2005 with a week or so of TBC in 2007, no private servers played or anything either.

Don't let that stop you. You're not getting any significant amounts of Honor from killing people that way in either case. All that matters is doing BGs, and winning them.

Thst is actually what killed open world PvP. Before Honour people fought for the fun of it, afterwards open world didn't offer anything so people only bothered with BGs, which meant they didn't fight back in open world and just let you kill them.

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's been a long fucking time - 15 years, goddamn I'm an old man - but I know they didn't significantly tweak the XP curve until well after TBC was out. I think they might have fucked with quest XP some time during vanilla and maybe messed with the first 30 levels? I remember there being a bit of an uproar over that but the gist of it was that it was the same XP to 60 but you got the first 30 levels faster. It's entirely possible my brain is just making that up though, and the quest XP thing might have just had to do with like 55+ quests or something.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It's been a long fucking time - 15 years, goddamn I'm an old man - but I know they didn't significantly tweak the XP curve until well after TBC was out. I think they might have fucked with quest XP some time during vanilla and maybe messed with the first 30 levels? I remember there being a bit of an uproar over that but the gist of it was that it was the same XP to 60 but you got the first 30 levels faster. It's entirely possible my brain is just making that up though, and the quest XP thing might have just had to do with like 55+ quests or something.
Yeah, Beastro is just remembering it all wrong. The first time Blizzard tweaked XP rates was in patch 2.3, halfway through TBC life, when XP gains from 20 to 60 were increased and most of the open-world elite mobs were turned into normal ones. And they have all the old information available to them, that was confirmed before Classic was even announced. So while it's possible that there have been some mistakes in the implementation, every numerical value - hp, xp, armour, resistances etc - should be correct.

Beastro

Arcane
Yeah, Beastro is just remembering it all wrong. The first time Blizzard tweaked XP rates was in patch 2.3, halfway through TBC life, when XP gains from 20 to 60 were increased and most of the open-world elite mobs were turned into normal ones. And they have all the old information available to them, that was confirmed before Classic was even announced. So while it's possible that there have been some mistakes in the implementation, every numerical value - hp, xp, armour, resistances etc - should be correct.

I've wondered how much rested exp might effect things. I've played four times since launch (skipped launch day knowing the madness that would come) for about 6 hours more or less and am currently 21 which is just a bit under my old pace at launch back in 2004 where I got 60 second in my guild after just over two weeks.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I always felt like Horde had an easier time leveling. The biggest difference is Horde has access to some of the best dungeons and they're all conveniently placed. In fact, you can level most of your time by just doing dungeons and going into another dungeon off of that. Ragefire Chasm, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, Gnomer (they can take a portal in STV to auto appear by the entrance), Scarlet Monastery, Razorfen Kraul/Downs, etc.

PapaPetro

I always felt like Horde had an easier time leveling. The biggest difference is Horde has access to some of the best dungeons and they're all conveniently placed. In fact, you can level most of your time by just doing dungeons and going into another dungeon off of that. Ragefire Chasm, Wailing Caverns, Shadowfang Keep, Gnomer (they can take a portal in STV to auto appear by the entrance), Scarlet Monastery, Razorfen Kraul/Downs, etc.
Yeah but then you had to play the Horde, which had horrible aesthetics. The equivalent of playing the game in a virtual Mogadishu.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

It's too quick.

I recall doing quests for my level range in one area, say the Barrens, and beginning to run out of them too low for the next stuff in line only to check over to Silverpine and get enough to fill that out, then run out there and continue off where the Barrens continued from in Kalimdor. Here leveling I'm starting to abandon a lot of quests and picking areas over others because I'm simply out leveling. It's annoying from a nostalgia stand point coming back to trounce through the same old leveling cycle only to have it rushed and skip shit.

Uhhh? I have done almost everything in Barrens, Just the dwarf quests left, almost did all of Stonetalon and all my shammy class quests and I am barely level 25. And that's with often grinding mobs to get the last 10-20% of XP.

So, you're either just a lot more dungeons in between quests or you're just doing errthing wrong.

Beastro

Arcane

It's too quick.

Uhhh? I have done almost everything in Barrens, Just the dwarf quests left, almost did all of Stonetalon and all my shammy class quests and I am barely level 25. And that's with often grinding mobs to get the last 10-20% of XP.

So, you're either just a lot more dungeons in between quests or you're just doing errthing wrong.

I did 2 RFC runs and then 2 WC runs so far so I don't think it's that, especially given how much I ran WC back in the day to get practiclally everything out of there I wanted right down to a complete set of the armour from there.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Leveling does feel faster, but I have also changed my habits. Specifically, I am killing mobs along the way to any quest and regularly change zones to stay on yellow quests.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I think they did it on purpose to give an incentive to people to play Horde, since they knew most people would have picked alliance. Horde also has the best advantages for pvp. In STV they have a second flight point up north, which is the reason they dominate that area so easily.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Leveling does feel faster, but I have also changed my habits. Specifically, I am killing mobs along the way to any quest and regularly change zones to stay on yellow quests.

Leveling felt faster when i played on private servers too. I wondered whether they did something to it then but i guess i just sucked at wow back in the vanilla days. It's annoying because i'm a completist and i want to clear everything in an are and also do all the instances with all the quests as i level but it doesn't take a lot to out level a lot of the content you are engaged in.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe it just took longer time because you had to look for quest locations? For some reason I remember all the locations now when playing, so it goes a lot faster than it did back in the day.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Leveling felt faster when i played on private servers too. I wondered whether they did something to it then but i guess i just sucked at wow back in the vanilla days. It's annoying because i'm a completist and i want to clear everything in an are and also do all the instances with all the quests as i level but it doesn't take a lot to out level a lot of the content you are engaged in.
I am the same way. It feels nice to finish the arc of a zone, whether that be killing the necromancer in Darkshire, or the orc warlord in Redridge.

At the very least, I am trying to hit all the big quest chains, such as Missing Diplomat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom