Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ashen - a new Souls-like

It is no more "the point" of the game as playing DS with a summon.
Eh.. no. The community aspect is the central plot point of the game. It's all about the world being reborn out of darkness and societies being formed. Considering that co-op is a huge part of this game, i gotta say that you have simply missed the point.
It is exactly like dark souls with regards to coop - easy if you use it, hard if you don't. So what your comment about defeating dark-souls approach was about then?
See i don't know what gave you the assumption that I ONLY played the game with a summon. No... I did play solo as well, and it still was too easy. It's all because i'm a huge-dicked, pro-gamer, and there's nothing little ducks like you can do to prove your dirty ass points. :happytrollboy:

Arnust

Savant
Yeah I'unno fellas the game's pretty intended to tag along with someone, especially if actually talking to each other, coordinating to shine light or cover each other. And well y'know it's essential for opening most important doors (unless you use that one talisman) and climb higher ledges (unless you take an alternate path there that may or not may be) And so it is intended to not be all that hard (albeit the dungeons and the last area and bosses ramp shit up well enough). I'm not sure how you're assuming authorial intent through... other people's game? I can see the new area scratching this itch more however, especially if it does cap the trinity of the evil god pantheon with the last one of them.

user

Savant
Want to like it, as I have liked other Souls-like games, but the extend of copy pasting (story included) made me cringe. They try to achieve a similar theme as DS, but in budget mode, and they haven't done a bad job. Also don't have any problem with clones, but this looks as if they didn't bother to diversify it at all. Might be unfair to say that though, as I haven't played it yet.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They try to achieve a similar theme as DS, but in budget mode, and they haven't done a bad job.

They tried to achieve something like DS but they have done a very good job. It's basically a very, very solid indie Dark Souls. Game's admittedly p. simple when it comes to stats and loot and the art style is pretty, but cheap. But the combat, exploration and level design are great.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
They try to achieve a similar theme as DS, but in budget mode, and they haven't done a bad job.

They tried to achieve something like DS but they have done a very good job. It's basically a very, very solid indie Dark Souls. Game's admittedly p. simple when it comes to stats and loot and the art style is pretty, but cheap. But the combat, exploration and level design are great.

Sorry to disagree. Combat is mediocre at best. Level design suffers from copy-paste. Exploration is fine.

However asking for full price (-20% doesn't count) after 1 year of EGS exclusivity is retarded. I would not pay more than 10$ for this.

@Edit: I'm not bashing the game because I want to be edgy. I've played 4+ hours when it was released on EGS.

I wanted to like the game but it's really not that solid and nowhere near a good DaS clone. The combat is simplistic as fuck, heavy weapons have no weight and there are many other issues.

Anyway, play the game.

Last edited:

user

Savant

I do get the artstyle and they did a good job adjusting it to the game's budget and bringing it close to that nice DS feeling of subtle despair, desolation etc etc. And I don't have a problem with clones but at first glance the lore (titans, age of light/darkness, disturbed npcs, ashen one, elder dark) seem alargmingly similar to the point one wonders if it's a direct remake with a different artstyle and slightly modified lore vs a game with its own identity. Anyway I haven't played it so I'll reserve judgement, since reviews are so stellar for an indie, until I give it a go.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I do get the artstyle and they did a good job adjusting it to the game's budget and bringing it close to that nice DS feeling of subtle despair, desolation etc etc. And I don't have a problem with clones but at first glance the lore (titans, age of light/darkness, disturbed npcs, ashen one) seem alargmingly similar to the point one wonders if it's a direct remake with a different artstyle and slightly modified lore vs a game with its own identity. Anyway I haven't played it so I'll reserve judgement, since reviews are so stellar for an indie, until I give it a go.

The game has no personality. They tried to copy Dark Souls in all aspects but it doesn't stand on its own feet.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
at first glance the lore (titans, age of light/darkness, disturbed npcs, ashen one) seem alargmingly similar

Yeah but every single FromSoft game has all this too, it's even a meme now. And I'm a little bit annoyed by it too but it's not that a big deal for me, I care about combat and level design much more. Sekiro, with all the typical FromSoft paraphernalia, is my GOTY.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
at first glance the lore (titans, age of light/darkness, disturbed npcs, ashen one) seem alargmingly similar

Yeah but every single FromSoft game has all this too, it's even a meme now. And I'm a little bit annoyed by it too but it's not that a big deal for me, I care about combat and level design much more. Sekiro, with all the typical FromSoft paraphernalia, is my GOTY.

By the way, have you played Hyper Light Drifter?

Ivan

Arcane
What did you like about Hyper Light Drifter? I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it (not in a pleasant way, either)

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
This game looks like it caters to my depressive sensibilities. Is it worth playing?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What did you like about Hyper Light Drifter? I had completely forgotten about it until you mentioned it (not in a pleasant way, either)

I did not see your post because you did not quote me.

Hyper Light Drifter is actually a great game:
- responsive controls, (see last line)
- synergistic skills,
- open world with many secrets,
- nice boss fights,
- mysterious atmosphere.

At first glance it looks like another retarded pixel-art game but the level of polish is exceptional. I love this game.

And I will be honest, I don't usually play this type of games but Hyper Light Drifter is great. I was hooked from the start until the end.

The only downside is that they fucked up the KB + M controls (and you cannot access some secrets) but I did finish the game with them.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm 6 hours in and I've got to say this matriarch dungeon is bullshit. No checkpoints, filled with enemies that can one or two-shot you, and a companion AI that falls into the abyss, robbing you of a method of revival for the part where there are four giant dudes and spawning enemies before the final boss... very frustrating.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm 6 hours in and I've got to say this matriarch dungeon is bullshit. No checkpoints, filled with enemies that can one or two-shot you, and a companion AI that falls into the abyss, robbing you of a method of revival for the part where there are four giant dudes and spawning enemies before the final boss... very frustrating.

Ashen is a shitty DaS clone. It's very shallow.

The only interesting points are the world and the atmosphere but they failed to capitalize on them.

Last edited:

Crane

Arcane
Patron
I was waiting to be revived when my companion killed the DLC boss, and Ashen glitched and now I can't complete the DLC. I think i'm done with this game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
You're making me regret picking this up since redoing large sections due to save placement is one of my biggest video game pet peeves.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
You're making me regret picking this up since redoing large sections due to save placement is one of my biggest video game pet peeves.
You'll hate this game then. My absolute biggest complaint is having to redo dungeons because of having no checkpoints. It's awful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom