Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, it was ensured by none other than MIKE PONDSMITH that CP2077 rp system will not just be deeper than The Witcher 3 but following very close to the P&P.

Now that's a legit complaint.
Makes you think... is there *missing* in the RP system?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Makes you think... is there *missing* in the RP system?
There was a whole fumble table for critical failure for any kind of extreme failed roll in P&P. Kinda like Fallout but with funnier results.
Reminds me how I critically missed in Arcanum, my female human char fell on the ground, dropped her pistol and hurt herself. Gosh, missing is much not-fun.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Reminds me how I critically missed in Arcanum, my female human char fell on the ground, dropped her pistol and hurt herself. Gosh, missing is much not-fun.
Considering enemies in CP2077 are able to hack player character, it's a given to be able to royally fuck up in combat but this was not shown in deep down video. Sasquatch is only less inconvenient Namir, purely visual glitches.

thesecret1

Arcane
Y'all talking about Witcher 3, but the video mostly reminded me of GTA. There was none of the "open world" shown, no indication of what can I actually do during free play, which makes me suspect that there might just be nothing. That it will be GTA design of "Here's a couple missions thrown around the game map. Go to them and do them at your leisure, there's basically nothing to do outside of those. If we're feeling generous, we'll put shit like racing in some location or something, but that's it." I mean even Witcher 3 had SOMETHING to do in the open world (sure, it was "go to X, kill baddie, take loot", but still, it was SOMETHING), and it actually seemed to get better in Blood and Wine, so I'd expect them to utilize the fact they have open world even more now, but they didn't even mention it.

Prime Junta

I hope to God that CP2077 won't have all those wonderful nest-clearing treasure-hunting location-securing open-world quests that so elevated Twitcher3.

Fat chance of that though.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Considering enemies in CP2077 are able to hack player character, it's a given to be able to royally fuck up in combat but this was not shown in deep down video. Sasquatch is only less inconvenient Namir, purely visual glitches.
You mean they have the ability within the game in general, not just in scripted scenes? That's cool if it's so.

thesecret1

Arcane
I hope to God that CP2077 won't have all those wonderful nest-clearing treasure-hunting location-securing open-world quests that so elevated Twitcher3.

Fat chance of that though.
I found them better than having the world straight up empty

PrettyDeadman

Wil hacker be able to hack player's gender identity?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Everyone likes to complain about the world being too big but the moment they make a smaller world and have to compensate by making things disproportionately close to each other and slowing down movement speed, people will complain about those two things. It's the same as with games often having intensive graphics and people whining about how they need a newer PC to play them, but if they looked dated those same people would still whine all the same.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Everyone likes to complain about the world being too big but the moment they make a smaller world and have to compensate by making things disproportionately close to each other and slowing down movement speed, people will complain about those two things. It's the same as people bitching about games often having intensive graphics and people whining about how they need a newer PC to play them but if they looked dated those same people would whine about how dated it looks.

I don't object to big worlds at all, on the contrary, I'm a huge Kerbal Space Program geek after all.

I do object to worlds that are populated with pointless filler.

If you can't populate the world with meaningful content -- whatever that means given the mechanics of your game -- then make it smaller.

As to Twitcher 3 specifically, in my view a game world doesn't need to have a secret, quest, monster nest, or location to clear under every pebble. Just give things some space and let it breathe. Sometimes less really is more.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Shillfinitron is at it again, disagreeing with facts & logic, as if it was a powerful spell against him. Yes, it was ensured by none other than MIKE PONDSMITH that CP2077 rp system will not just be deeper than The Witcher 3 but following very close to the P&P.
I decided to look for evidence of that, but so far:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”

racofer

Thread Incliner
roF9n5N.jpg

NullFlow

Savant
Perhaps it was that starry-eyed inner child in all of us that wished this game would be something special, but peeling away the facade, it's more like a product of TW3 married to Dishonored with a faint touch of nu-Deus Ex. Doesn't make it a bad game necessarily, but probably a mediocre RPG. I see that the combat remains floaty and unrefined, the loot system is right out of any lootershooter ("Epic" Hoodie labeled in purple made me laugh and cry inside) and the skill tree may as well be copypasted from any Ubisoft game. Basically, the CDPR duo of weak combat and barebones RPG elements to be officially classified as one. I think just like TW3, this will pretty much depend on its narrative, world building, writing and side quests to be worth playing.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Does CDPR even have any of the old writers left or have all they been replaced with dangerhair hambeasts with snowflake pronouns on their twitter profile?

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
People complaining about not seeing a deep RPG system in a super edited 15 minutes trailer targeted to the more casual players.

LOL codex, never change

Terenty

Liturgist
Shillfinitron is at it again, disagreeing with facts & logic, as if it was a powerful spell against him. Yes, it was ensured by none other than MIKE PONDSMITH that CP2077 rp system will not just be deeper than The Witcher 3 but following very close to the P&P.
I decided to look for evidence of that, but so far:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
“The main problem is that the original system is based on dice rolls. When you think about Cyberpunk you think about shooting, action, a lot of explosions. But that doesn’t fit dice rolls in a video game. We want to make it more action-like – there will be a system that lets you use active skills actually in the gameplay in a shooting sequence or something like that, rather than just passive skills like in the books.”

I swear i remember thinking its gonna be like fallout/arcanum deep only with super high production values and in this cool dark city from the reveal trailer.

There must have been something they said...or maybe i was just young and naive

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
when I was a kid I played this awesome RPG with tons of choice called Super Mario World.. it was pretty cool, had deep RPG mechanics like lots of variety in enemy disposal (can jump on them, shoot them w/ a fireball, throw turtles at them, etc..) it even had a mount! exploration was rewarded as well. glad to see that CDPR has updated these deep RPG mechanics into the modern age

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom