Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As long as people want things, there'll be illegal ways to acquire them.

If Stadia "eliminates" piracy, they'll most likely eliminate a lot of interest in their products. And some clever boi will make much money by "reinventing" ownable games.

Imagine selling to people obsessed with loot a game that will never be their loot, and thinking this will work.

passerby

Arcane
Imagine selling to people obsessed with loot a game that will never be their loot, and thinking this will work.

You mean like with MMOs, where an account and all their virtual loot exists only on the company owned serwer and you have to pay subscription to access it ? Yeah, it doesn't work :lol:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And you can get around it by downloading a simple steamworks crack.

At least you fucktarded steamtards stopped with the "but if steam closes they'll totally give you cracks for all the games you purchased out of the goodness of their heart" stupidity.

Or did you?

And lol at backing up files which require online authentication and comparing it with a physical disk. LMAO. Steamtards are fucking entertaining.

You mean like with MMOs, where an account and all their virtual loot exists only on the company owned serwer and you have to pay subscription to access it ? Yeah, it doesn't work :lol:

Convenience fags (ie most of the people. ie the lowest common denominator) will make Stadia work just like they made Steam work. Or if not, then surely Netflix-like stores like the new XBOX one. Expect a new wave of "but I can take muh games anywhere".
But at least with these you're actually paying somewhat appropriately for what you're doing, which is renting, as opposed to shit like Steam where you're paying for games full price to rent them.

Edit: Oh yeah, and btw, who said it's legal to get pirated games if you lost access to your purchase?
Or pirate a game because they changed the game to something you don't like it.

If piracy is your argument for how steam is great (steamtards are so desperate to suck gaben that they try to pass this as a steam-only "feature") then you might as well not pay for games at all and just pirate them.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Yes, MMOs, where whales are the main source of money and buy physical goods such as toys, a display for their physical game, books, tatoos, etc. and even go to such lenghts to do cosplay and shit. All in the physical world with solid things. They want all the loot, virtual and physical.

passerby

Arcane
What stops them from selling plastic toys for stadia exclusive games ? Streaming subscription is exactly the same bussiness model as MMO subscription but for singleplayer games and it's already prooven.

At best it won't work until they take away other options, but once there is no alternative 95% of gamers will bend their knee. The next console generation after PS5/XBOX TWO, will be just simple streaming terminals probably.
And for consoles with their shitty controllers, input lag, below 30fps and no modding anyway, it may be a technical improvement actually.

passerby

Arcane
There was a time when people didn't want Steam and other clients and yet they were given no option and now they not only accept it, but demand it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
There was a time when people didn't want Steam and other clients and yet they were given no option and now they not only accept it, but demand it.

I remember how terrible Steam was back with the release of HL2 back in 2004, but they improved it a lot.

Steam was also just a DRM utility and server browser back then, the storefront things came later.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As long as third world exists, ye shall have piracy.

I'm sure that will have an effect on how long real downloads last, but eventually the companies will write those people off to embrace their glorious streaming future. Do you think Netflix is worried about people living on a mountain in Kazakhstan? They couldn't give less of a fuck.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
will write those people off
Did I miss something and western countries suddenly became an isolated communist block or something? Because no capitalist in their sane mind would refuse to gather as much customers as possible and instead reduce market growth to 0%, by staying in "comfy" countries of Western World and refuse acknowledge existence of other 99% percent of population. Not to mention according to MANY stories from people living in Europe and USA - there are many places with speed just as shitty as on Kazakhstan mountains, because monopolist providers too lazy and greedy to update their network. And Stadia or other shitservice isn't enough motivation for them to improve.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Did I miss something and western countries suddenly became an isolated communist block or something? Because no capitalist in their sane mind would refuse to gather as much customers as possible and instead reduce market growth to 0%, by staying in "comfy" countries of Western World and refuse acknowledge existence of other 99% percent of population. Not to mention according to MANY stories from people living in Europe and USA - there are many places with speed just as shitty as on Kazakhstan mountains, because monopolist providers too lazy and greedy to update their network. And Stadia or other shitservice isn't enough motivation for them to improve.

It already happens all the time dude. They write off people with older PCs and OSes, they write off people who can't download 100GB on a whim, they write off people without reliable connections. Every mega corporation switched to an online focus and will switch to streaming as fast as they can whether that means writing off a percentage or not, because the benefits outweigh the minor lost revenue. It's already happening with movies and shows, I'm amazed you guys think it will be any different with games. OnLive was too early and worked like garbage, but Stadia has already run public tests that got rave reviews. I'm not saying it'll happen overnight, but it's a depressing inevitability.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
> minor lost revenue
Several fucking billions people for companies that trying to cater to lowest common denominator isn't "small loss of revenue". I mean, attempts to cater to audiences in China speaks for itself.

Vast majority of those people don't have gaming PCs, public internet cafes/whatever will be able to reliably stream, and China is a special market with dictatorial government control that you don't want leading the way on what game still get local versions anyway.

Dexter

Arcane
an exaggerated mocking of Stadia.
the end of piracy as a solution IS coming
streaming exclusives are the future.
eventually the companies will write those people off to embrace their glorious streaming future.
Every mega corporation [...] will switch to streaming as fast as they can whether that means writing off a percentage or not, because the benefits outweigh the minor lost revenue.
I'm amazed you guys think it will be any different with games.
Stadia has already run public tests that got rave reviews.
it's a inevitability.
He's back to his shilling ways again. Do you own shares or something or do you just enjoy being a bootlicker soo much?

As for Steam, the moment they try and start banning a larger amount of people or otherwise remove the access to their bought software is going to be the moment the EU and possibly UK/Australia and some other regions are going to buttfuck Valve again like they did with refunds and are in the process of doing with region locking, so I'm not really too worried:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-even-if-software-company-says-you-cant.shtml
https://www.computerworld.com/artic...oftware-licenses-is-legal----even-online.html

Dexter

Arcane
Why do you sound like a broken 24/7 Epic Games and Stadia Infomercial then, putting in a "but" every now and then doesn't really change the overall message you tend to portray with your every post in these threads, does it?

You could put shit like "Stadia has already run public tests that got rave reviews", "Stadia - the end of piracy as a solution IS coming", "Stadia - streaming exclusives are the future" or "Stadia - It's a inevitability" on promotional posters and put them all around town.

Modron

Arcane
Why do you sound like a broken 24/7 Epic Games and Stadia Infomercial then, putting in a "but" every now and then doesn't really change the overall message you tend to portray with your every post in these threads, does it?
But are you sure it doesn't change the message?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

You could put shit like "Stadia has already run public tests that got rave reviews", "Stadia - the end of piracy as a solution IS coming", "Stadia - streaming exclusives are the future" or "Stadia - It's a inevitability" on promotional posters and put them all around town.

This is because you're incapable of understanding how someone could think something they don't want is also likely to happen. You want me to be a tribal idiot who argues no matter what that my preference is supreme and going to win, because that's how you brain works. I'm against clients, against DRM, and definitely against streaming. I've said a thousand times I'm a GOG fanboy and would prefer everything be released that way. That doesn't mean I can't be realistic about where the wind is obviously blowing. Take your cheerleader head out of your ass.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
There's a difference between being a Stadia infomercial and just accepting it as the grim future. The comfort of streaming is huge and I know a lot of you will accept it as well. You will inevitably consider it when your PC is out of service, too slow, or you just don't have one but you want to play some big release you were excited for.
"Oh well, I guess it's just $10 for one month, I'll play it and unsubscribe."
That will come up a lot and it will be a motivation for many. If not for you specifically if you truly have a top of the line PC at all times, then it will happen to a thousand other people instead.

Mustawd

Here are a couple of questions to consider:

1.) Can you buy a netflix movie or show?

2.) Why do movies and TV shows that let you own personal copies exist if streaming services exist?

Obviously, there are a lot of indistry-specific factors to consider, but I think the answers to the questions for movie/tv show streaming vs game streaming are quite similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dexter

Arcane
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to absorb that you "hate" something or consider it a "nightmare future" when almost all you do is communicate in slogans praising it's efficacy and inevitability while using superlatives to describe it.

You also use fallacious argumentation like comparing playing a video game that requires player input and output on the reaction, as well as instant encoding and transfer at a high frame rate (and don't forget Multiplayer!) as if it was totally the same experience and use-case as watching a movie or TV show that can be even 5 minutes behind and lag and nobody would notice.

This is especially curious since "Stadia" is not even anywhere on the map (it doesn't have any appreciable market share), doesn't really have the games people want or a existing user base, and there isn't even any particular consumer buzz around it. It hasn't even exactly proven that it will cover a consumer demand in the first place, and we all know the history of this very market segment before, DalekFlay is acting almost as Xi did then, except he adds a "but" every other sentence:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/onlive.37235/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/steve-perlman-speaks-on-onlive.39984/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/onlive-demoed-lag-graphics-are-a-problem-gasp.40343/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/onlive-is-sooooooooo-awsum.45615/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/onlive-died-today.45644/

As it is, you don't even know if "Stadia" will still exist 5 years from now, let alone whether it's an "inevitability".

See also here for more on why this is not an "inevitability": https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...rvice-for-everyone.126618/page-4#post-6057599

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom