Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They've never done anything isometric, that's just not their thing, and making your first attempt an AAA costing tens of millions would have been beyond insanity.
You don't count Witcher 3 as their first AAA? Why not?

Sykar

Arcane
To set the record on whether the game was ever going to be anything more than an action RPG, there is this post from Perkel:
I stand by what I wrote. Cyberpunk was never going to be isometric/top down. CDP are simply not interested in that for their AAA tentpoles and never have been.
As others have said, after Witcher 3's success and all the expectations it set, it would have been impossible to make Cyberpunk a proper RPG. I just wanted to see where the myths were coming from, that's why I looked in the old thread.

Fun > faithful adaptation imho. To me I was never too focused on faithful adaptations though I do appreciate it when it gets close. That being said un and faithful adaptation are not mutually exclusive, of course.
I really hope they do not give us Witcher 3 itemization. That was the worst part of the game together with the retarded level scaling.

Mazisky

Magister
Codex in the last 5 years : "This game is shit, too many cutscenes"

Codex on Cyberpunk: "This game is shit, they removed cutscenes"

odrzut

Arcane
They've never done anything isometric, that's just not their thing, and making your first attempt an AAA costing tens of millions would have been beyond insanity.

Witcher 1 had isometric camera mode (which nobody used because it sucks), and Thronebreaker is isometric (but it's not AAA). I agree there's no way Cyberpunk would be isometric though, and really, who cares?

Even most of the codexers who complain nobody does isometric turn-based rpgs anymore probably haven't played Thronebreaker which is exactly that :)

People say they want 1 thing, but then they ignore it and buy the other thing they called "decline" :)

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If you have gunplay, then it needs to be first person. Plus theres an historic expectation of cyberpunk games/rpg's being first person thanks to deus ex. I'm actually extremely happy they are ditching third person.

Curratum

Why would you even expect to ever have a new AAA isometric game? Is it suddenly 1999 again? Don't you have your Underrails and god knows what else Spiderweb produces?

Paul_cz

Arcane
As others have said, after Witcher 3's success and all the expectations it set, it would have been impossible to make Cyberpunk a proper RPG. I just wanted to see where the myths were coming from, that's why I looked in the old thread.
It is not about Witcher 3. Even the previous two Witchers have been immersive third person games (the top down view in TW1 was dogshit holdout from NWN they kept in for mousefags, but nobody I know used it) because that is what CDP people are interested in the most (and it sells the best).

I also highly disagree with you that first/third person game cannot be "proper RPG". If you want to say "isometric RPG", just say that. Fallout New Vegas, Gothic 2, Kingdom Come, Witcher 1/2/3 and Cyberpunk are/will be all proper RPGs. Yes, some to larger extent than others, e.g. Cyberpunk will no doubt have greater extent of RPGness than Witcher 1/2/3 simply due to not having predetermined protagonist and having more gameplay options.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good isometric would have meant TB combat (let's be realistic), and that's a completely different target group than what CDPR are aiming for.

IMO, if they were really greedy and really shooting for the safest triple A game, they would have gone 3rd person with predefined character models, based on the PC origin story.

I just hope there will be enough chances to see our character from outside.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I also highly disagree with you that first/third person game cannot be "proper RPG"
It's good that I'm not saying that then.

By proper RPG I mean one where success in combat depends on abstract rules and not on player reflexes.

Quillon

Arcane
I also highly disagree with you that first/third person game cannot be "proper RPG"
It's good that I'm not saying that then.

By proper RPG I mean one where success in combat depends on abstract rules and not on player reflexes.

You know which RPG(s) rely on player's reflexes the most and doesn't get any criticism from codex ever?

I'll never take codex seriously when it comes to "what is RPG or not" or "what is more RPG? When codex contradicts itself massively on the above game(s) from the same dev.

Wesp5

Arcane
They didn't cut the number of cut scenes, they just make all of them in first person, which is worse comparing to a mix of first person and third person.

Not if they do them like e.g. in Half-Life and Half-Life 2...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Meh, TW3 was also called everything but a child of God before release... and after release also.

Cyberpunk will be the same - an ambitious game that is far from perfect.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Not if they do them like e.g. in Half-Life and Half-Life 2...
They seem to aim to making cutscenes and dialogs work like these two games released in 1998 and 2004 respectively, yes. Poland is so creative and innovative.

One question remains, how in the hell a voiced protagonist is immersive?

Quillon

Arcane
Speaking of voices, I liked male V's voice in the first trailer but in the last gameplay it sounded too uneven, his voice changes scene to scene :/

frajaq

Erudite
explain right now why this isn't the box art instead of the generic garbage we got

T0uYVsx.png

RepHope

Savant
Seems like there are two competing game directions here, that are pulling in different directions. One direction is that they want to copy the immersive sim aspects of games like Deus Ex or V:TMB. That direction is complimented by the FPP, they’ve said your character can “look” at stuff during conversations and then bring what you’re looking at up in the convos or alter the flow of the convos. That seems like incline but it’s at odds with the other direction which is all about the style of how your character looks and acts. If I can’t fucking see my character why would I give a shit about wearing the right clothes? There’s a reason immersive sims don’t bother with allowing you to alter what the player character wears, you’re never going to fucking see it. They should’ve either gone all in on the immersive sims aspects and just given you a choice of gender like Morgan Yu in Prey or focused more on character customization and gone TPP in my opinion. I guess we’ll see how this hybrid approach works for them.

At least they haven’t fucking cut Life Path prologues yet, that would actually piss me off.

passerby

Arcane
explain right now why this isn't the box art instead of the generic garbage we got

Because market research determined that most of the gaming audience are simpletons and generic garbage sells better.

Marketing is pseudo science, so it may, or may not be true.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
To set the record on whether the game was ever going to be anything more than an action RPG, there is this post from Perkel:
I stand by what I wrote. Cyberpunk was never going to be isometric/top down. CDP are simply not interested in that for their AAA tentpoles and never have been.

Fun > faithful adaptation imho. To me I was never too focused on faithful adaptations though I do appreciate it when it gets close. That being said un and faithful adaptation are not mutually exclusive, of course.
I really hope they do not give us Witcher 3 itemization. That was the worst part of the game together with the retarded level scaling.
I didn't know it had level scaling. I actually stopped playing because near as I could tell, the only thing that really mattered WAS your level, and the main quest line gave so much more xp than anything else (while being trivially easy because it wasn't 5 levels above you) it felt like exploring was a huge waste of time. I think the only thing that didn't scale down by like 99% was burn damage because it was based on enemy max hp or something. But even if you used that to kill something way stronger than you after dancing around it for half an hour without getting hit you'd still get like 2% of a level and maybe some items you'll never use.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Let's see if there is any word about downscaling

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom