Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I know it's got RPG elements, but let's be honest, it's really a modern day Beat 'Em Up aint it? Kinda like King of the Dragons in 3D
It makes me sad that so many people that played this game never discovered any of the cool stuff on their own, like forging the tome or the ring, or befriending the bandits, or reviving one of the cult members with a wakestone. Those kinds of easter eggs make games a joy to play without a guide and they're all too rare these days, in favour of making sure every player sees every bit of content, or at least knows it's there. I was reminded the other day that FF6 had an entire dungeon and party member you could only access by going to a remote island and letting a random encounter attack all your characters in a way that would seem to just give you a game over. It's only hinted at by some random nameless npc in a town in game iirc. The game had a fair bit of stuff like that actually, I miss that sort of thing.

Modron

Arcane
I blame achievements, before achievements people played games how they want to now they go through shit autistically with guide in hand in case they fuck up and miss shit. Also a lot of them spoil shit by existing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I know it's got RPG elements, but let's be honest, it's really a modern day Beat 'Em Up aint it? Kinda like King of the Dragons in 3D
It makes me sad that so many people that played this game never discovered any of the cool stuff on their own, like forging the tome or the ring, or befriending the bandits, or reviving one of the cult members with a wakestone. Those kinds of easter eggs make games a joy to play without a guide and they're all too rare these days, in favour of making sure every player sees every bit of content, or at least knows it's there. I was reminded the other day that FF6 had an entire dungeon and party member you could only access by going to a remote island and letting a random encounter attack all your characters in a way that would seem to just give you a game over. It's only hinted at by some random nameless npc in a town in game iirc. The game had a fair bit of stuff like that actually, I miss that sort of thing.
While I agree, I think DD does a very bad job and showing players all the options that they have at hand... FF6 did that in a time it was common, just like you could beat FF7 without Yuffie, Vincent or any of the Weapons, or how Chrono Trigger had a billion endings. DD came in a dark time, of Dragon Age 2, Borderlands, FF13 and Diablo III. Like Larian said, with D:OS they had to teach players what gameplay/roleplay freedom means, because no one though you could role-play via gameplay. BioWare taught people that an RPG is a straight line where every 10 minutes a "A or B?" prompt appears on screen.

Also, DD's design itself is for creating one character and spending hundreds of hours hunting monsters, grinding weapons and facing end-game bosses. It's not a game people will replay multiple times and experience all the different options...

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's definitely a design flaw in the way the game is presented. You're clearly meant to do multiple playthrough with the new game+ feature and try out different things in the quests and discover all sorts of things naturally. But the game is very checklist oriented and puts a lot of pressure on the player to be ready and finish everything before moving towards the next quest. If they'd taken all the emphasis off the main questline and let things flow naturally and just sort of surprise you with the ending so you know you missed shit and want to go back it'd be much better.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Also, DD's design itself is for creating one character and spending hundreds of hours hunting monsters, grinding weapons and facing end-game bosses. It's not a game people will replay multiple times and experience all the different options...
joke's on normies I played it 14 times
I played it three times, and it definitely gets a lot better in the second playthrough, when you already know the "correct" way and the weird mechanics and start to try to break the game. It feels like something for a very short and C&C oriented game like Way of the Samurai, not for a massive open world RPG.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I played one time as Magick Archer, got disappointed on BI because i found ZERO magick bows, had an big collection of daggers, but no magick bows.

Then re played as an Ranger where i could just get the second best longbow at 20 min in the game

Then re played as a Magick Archer and got blessed by RNGoddess

Yeah, makes me sad to see this thread up.

Reminds me of the fact that there will never be a true sequel to this game.

What the fuck are you talking about? Itsuno already said alot of times, that his next big project after DMC5 would be DD2.

Or some new take on a fighting game. Given how much he talked about doing a fighting game during DMC5, and how taken he seemed to be with how the stage during the Goliath fight turned out, if it wasn't for that upcoming Dragon's Dogma anime I'd expect his next game to be some kind of Power Stone type of fighting game.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The only thing stopping me playing this is that if I have to grind a 100000 battles, I need a class with good combat. Usually for me it is a mage, but I tried it in this game and it was bland. I need damage over time, balancing resources, etc.

Anyhoo, Assasin is my fave, and really the only class I've found fun enough to finish the game with. Plenty of interactivity, no fuss, bish, bosh, bash.

No, it's a RPG. Specifically it's in the hack n slash subgenre like Diablo, Diablo 2, and Nox. Now if you stripped all the RPG stuff out (like Diablo 3 did) it'd be one, but that stuff is there.

I'd imagine if he was making a beat 'em up there'd probably be no stat increase, the classes would be set to pre-made characters, the upgrade system would be like his DMC games, you'd probably have more combos, there'd probably be grapple attacks and specific attacks for downed opponents, and you'd be able to grab things like in Power Stone.

There'd probably also be some kind of VS mode too.

Zeriel

Arcane
In my book, at least in terms of statistics and mechanics, DD is far more of an RPG than Dark Souls because the stats actually matter and really govern gameplay. In Dark Souls your stats and a lot of your equipment doesn't matter much, it's far more about how you play.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In my book, at least in terms of statistics and mechanics, DD is far more of an RPG than Dark Souls because the stats actually matter and really govern gameplay. In Dark Souls your stats and a lot of your equipment doesn't matter much, it's far more about how you play.

Your stats matter little. Your weapon have an HUGE impact on your STR/MAG. On DkS, one point can be the difference between fat rolling and normal rolling. This not mentioning that a lot of weapons and spells have stat requirements and scale differently to different weapons.

The only thing stopping me playing this is that if I have to grind a 100000 battles, I need a class with good combat. Usually for me it is a mage, but I tried it in this game and it was bland. I need damage over time, balancing resources, etc.

I usually love sorcerer(as my nick suggests) but i could't play DD as a Sorc for a long time. The combat is press two buttons and start to pray to no enemy magically teleport to your back, hit you and interrupt you. Ranger in other hands, i loved ranger and magick archer. Be able to snipe enemies, target weak parts, use poison arrow, blast(explosive), petrification arrow, etc. Unless you wanna the best BI gear and reach lv 200, you will not need to grind that much and hard mode deals an insane amount of XP.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
No, it's a RPG. Specifically it's in the hack n slash subgenre like Diablo, Diablo 2, and Nox. Now if you stripped all the RPG stuff out (like Diablo 3 did) it'd be one, but that stuff is there.

I'd imagine if he was making a beat 'em up there'd probably be no stat increase, the classes would be set to pre-made characters, the upgrade system would be like his DMC games, you'd probably have more combos, there'd probably be grapple attacks and specific attacks for downed opponents, and you'd be able to grab things like in Power Stone.
Dragon's Crown, released in 2013, is the best example of a beat-'em-up with RPG elements. Aside from having a choice of characters (which is already standard for beat-'em-ups) and character leveling, the player also chooses how to spend skill points and there are a number of equipment slots, with the weapons and armor varying considerably in their power. However, exploration is the same as in a beat-'em-up, which is to say non-existent other than running through linear levels.

DragonsCrownIGN3.png

Equipment_menu.jpg

Dragon's Dogma is an RPG with some beat-'em-up influences found in its combat system, which differs from the RPG archetype in being real-time action-based, yet still less dependent on the player's physical skill than is the case in beat-'em-ups (or the Souls games, for that matter).

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Yeah, makes me sad to see this thread up.

Reminds me of the fact that there will never be a true sequel to this game.

What the fuck are you talking about? Itsuno already said alot of times, that his next big project after DMC5 would be DD2.

Lol, do you even believe that yourself? Even if there will be a "DD2", it will not be the same game.

Fishy

Savant
joke's on normies I played it 14 times
I played it three times, and it definitely gets a lot better in the second playthrough, when you already know the "correct" way and the weird mechanics and start to try to break the game. It feels like something for a very short and C&C oriented game like Way of the Samurai, not for a massive open world RPG.

The in-built Speedrun mode is great too. It's a separate copy/paste of your current character with full stats/gear so it doesn't affect anything in your current game. No actual reset of your current quest list or BBI path progression. It's just an on-demand single run through the game with timing to see how fast you can run it. And it leaves the portcrystals where you had them, so placing them before the run is its own minigame. I can't recommend it enough for people who already beat the game, it's a different experience.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
And even if it comes, it's current year and there's no way it will be as good as the original.
It will be full of trans and gays. The main quest will involve killing all dragons because with their farts they increase the warming of the kingdom, possible leading to snow saurians extinction in the next era.
Symone is now an ecologist and is traveling the kingdom to warn about this emergency

Delterius

Arcane
And even if it comes, it's current year and there's no way it will be as good as the original.
It will be full of trans and gays. The main quest will involve killing all dragons because with their farts they increase the warming of the kingdom, possible leading to snow saurians extinction in the next era.
Symone is now an ecologist and is traveling the kingdom to warn about this emergency
and mercedes is a feminist

ha ha

Zeriel

Arcane
Symone growing up into an even more annoying shit would actually be pretty cool, evolution-wise.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
and mercedes is a feminist

ha ha
It will be discovered that she purposelly lost the duel with french guy, because reasons, and actually it was a very clever a brave plan to save the world. French guy is stupid and coward

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I usually love sorcerer(as my nick suggests) but i could't play DD as a Sorc for a long time. The combat is press two buttons and start to pray to no enemy magically teleport to your back, hit you and interrupt you. Ranger in other hands, i loved ranger and magick archer. Be able to snipe enemies, target weak parts, use poison arrow, blast(explosive), petrification arrow, etc. Unless you wanna the best BI gear and reach lv 200, you will not need to grind that much and hard mode deals an insane amount of XP.
Thanks! What is more deep, ranger or magic archer? Also do you think Hard mode is best?

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected

Thanks! What is more deep, ranger or magic archer? Also do you think Hard mode is best?
Not the guy that you replied too, but as a lover of bow users in games, i found ma lacking the appeal of archer classes. Autoaiming feels not very rewarding. Homever it could be your cup of tea, if you don't care about aiming and see his abilities like spells.
Ranger has a lot of different kind of arrows, spreading arrows, multi arrows in a row ( wich other vocations have too but in a less powerful form), charged arrow wich requires great timing and aim to do max damage but it is very effective and great gamble wich consumes all of your stamina to do proportionate damage, and you can control the arrow itself during its path. So if you loves bows ranger is the way to go. If you want a tricky mage wich uses bow as a spellcasting weapon, go magic archer.
Oh, anotger thing, if you play ranger you will be effective with daggers too, so you can change to melee in mid of combat, while MA to do optimal damage should have leveled as sorcerer to increase M attack.
With ma you are better using a staff as secondary weapon, and if you didnt enjoy that playstile than it's bad for you.

Hard mode isnt worth in my opinion, especially in your first playthrough. The difficulty is artificial ( moar damage received) and itroduces annoying stamina management. Also decrease enemies stagger wich it's one of the reason combat is fun

Last edited:

Fishy

Savant

Not the guy that you replied too, but as a lover of bow users in games, i found ma lacking the appeal of archer classes. Autoaiming feels not very rewarding. Homever it could be your cup of tea, if you don't care about aiming and see his abilities like spells.
Ranger has a lot of different kind of arrows, spreading arrows, multi arrows in a row ( wich other vocations have too but in a less powerful form), charged arrow wich requires great timing and aim to do max damage but it is very effective and great gamble wich consumes all of your stamina to do proportionate damage, and you can control the arrow itself during its path. So if you loves bows ranger is the way to go. If you want a tricky mage wich uses bow as a spellcasting weapon, go magic archer.
Hard mode isnt worth in my opinion, especially in your first playthrough. The difficulty is artificial ( moar damage received) and itroduces annoying stamina management. Also decrease enemies stagger wich it's one of the reason combat is fun

Let's be honest: Ranger mostly has Blast arrows and Tenfold Flurry. And if for some reason that's not enough, one just adds Liquid Vim and Conqueror's Periapts and breaks the game by introducing the medieval-fantasy equivalent of tactical nukes to the battlefield. I love the Ranger vocation.

That said it depends on what you plan to play the game with. Bow aiming with a controller is shit, so you'll want a keyboard and mouse when quick or precise aiming is needed. The game supports both at the same time though so personally I mostly playing with the controller, but quick switched to the mouse as needed.

But honestly, unless you really, absolutely want to minmax on your first run, for some reason, don't stress out vocations. You'll want to level up all of them to gain access to all the perks so you can hilariously combine them into broken builds. On leveling, you gain stats based on your current vocation, hence the minmaxing. The ultimate DPS sorcerer will not want to waste levels to increase physical attributes for example. So there are optimal leveling patterns if you're into that. However, the endgame (BBI) gear has such stat bonuses that it'll vastly make up for all your minmax deficiencies, so I wouldn't stress too much about stats and just play along, switching vocations as you feel like it to gain the perks and enjoy some variations in gameplay. There's no real need to choose between Ranger and Magick Archer when you'll easily be able to be both.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom