Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

It's also out on Switch. Also for $20.

Tigranes

Arcane
Just don't even consider it on PC, older releases with fan mods are perfectly fine. This is only worth it on a previously unavailable platform (Switch).

Draw system doesn't really need to be 'fixed', or at least, a real fix would just require a new system. Just don't sit there drawing 99 spells.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The draw system is fine. Sure - like any RPG system - it could be refined but the actual system works great, If you are sitting drawing 99 spells non stop that is on you. The system doesn't requite that sort of thing at all. The game gives you so many ways to collect spells and complete the game.

ZeniBot

Cipher
this remaster is pure decline. The game looks worse than it ever has. You'd be better off with the PS1 version tbh.
You would have thought square would have the original files from the FMVs because you could easily upscale those if they had them.
There is just so much wrong here. It looks like absolute ass, runs like shit. The intro logos are unbearable because they're unskippable.

Edit: I should clarify this is the case for the PC version. The PC version is pure shit. It doesn't have mouse support in any of the non-game menus which is just lazy. The remaster is obviously targeted at the switch which is makes a hell of a lot more sense. Just disappointing that all this really is just ended up being a re-release of the original steam version with some patches, calling it a remaster is straight up lying.

Last edited:
Unwanted

†††

Patron
Watched a stream yesterday, I liked how the models look like. Obviously I wouldn't spend a penny on this, I don't even like the game much, but I have no doubts that modders will do something with it (either they start modding the remaster, or bring the models to the old version).

Duraframe300

Arcane
Just don't even consider it on PC, older releases with fan mods are perfectly fine. This is only worth it on a previously unavailable platform (Switch).

Yeah, if you have FFVIII already you might as well keep it, considering how minisculine the improvements are.

Add to that, that OpenVIII is going strong.

The models do look good but it's distracting seeing them juxtaposed against the incredibly fuzzy, low-res, pre-rendered backgrounds.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Errr, wrong thread? Anyways seems like a fairly obvious change, it's not like you could have Ifrit stomping around the human sized stairwells or whatever. "Conditions" could be cool if they're unique to each summon, like for one you need to string a lot of hits together, for another you need to have only one member left standing, for another you need to avoid all damage for 15 seconds, etc. I doubt they'd do something that complicated but there's definitely design space for a cool mechanic there.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
FF X/X-2 remaster is the best of them all. It also has the best combat, sadly the game has such a nonsensical story and character design. It's like Squeenix does not want to create a good FF.

Jason Liang

Arcane
This take on Triple Triad actually pissed me off. Retarded tuber!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom