Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

JBro

Arbiter
I originally rolled Alliance because they had elf girls with huge purple tits LOL

My colleague rolled NE in vanilla and eventually created humans and Blood Elves females just so to strip them naked, walk around and do quests.

He probably touched himself to naked /dance.

We all did it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I could never see myself rolling a Horde char willingly, or unwilling ever again for that matter. The only reason I ever did was because my friends went horde, but after a while I got so sick of all the mud huts and ebola that I just rolled Alliance and never looked back. Night Elves are by far my fav race, it's just too bad that they have been neutered from what they were in WarCraft 3.

cw8

Cipher
My Druid was NE. Couldn't be bothered running a cow and wanted to see with my own eyes the zones that were featured in WC3 NE campaigns. Till now the places that still give the most nostalgia are the NE starter zones like Darkshore and Ashenvale. Blackfathom Deeps was pretty much my first dungeon and the 3 of us friends tried to clear it at a higher level.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Making the Horde not bloodthirsty aliens bent on conquering Azeroth is what made the lore start to get kinda shit. A three-way battle between the Alliance, Horde and villain de jour (Burning Legion, Scourge, Nagas, etc.) would've been 10 times more thrilling than the "friendship conquers all" thing we inevitably always get. Grom Hellscream would've been a better leader for the Horde than Thrall (without the demon blood making them slaves that is).

cw8

Cipher
Making the Horde not bloodthirsty aliens bent on conquering Azeroth is what made the lore start to get kinda shit. A three-way battle between the Alliance, Horde and villain de jour (Burning Legion, Scourge, Nagas, etc.) would've been 10 times more thrilling than the "friendship conquers all" thing we inevitably always get. Grom Hellscream would've been a better leader for the Horde than Thrall (without the demon blood making them slaves that is).

If you think about it the Burning Legion is at war with every other faction, so is the Scourge. And then there's the other major faction that's the cause of all problems, the Old Gods and the Void, who are of course also at war with everyone else. Mix everyone in and essentially Warcraft has become a Battle Royale.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Has blizzard said that they will keep updating the classic servers with added content like the expansions? Or will it be classic forever?

Lacrymas

Arcane
If you think about it the Burning Legion is at war with every other faction, so is the Scourge. And then there's the other major faction that's the cause of all problems, the Old Gods and the Void, who are of course also at war with everyone else. Mix everyone in and essentially Warcraft has become a Battle Royale.
Yeah, but there's no Horde vs Ally thing, they are all too happy and ready to cooperate all the time.

Ninjerk

Arcane
On Classic cast, I think, #32 (I remember hte number because they said it would be the last for awhile because they will be/are leveling) Omar and another of the head shits in charge said something to the effect that they had purposely avoided thinking about further developments.

J1M

Arcane
As great as new content for classic would be, it would be far cheaper for them to release burning crusade servers.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Because losers at Blizzard disabled MSAA on 1gb videocards, WoW Classic is forcing me to upgrade mine. Fake-AA technology like CMAA and FXAA produce noticeable shimmering and blurring on my 1024x768 CRT monitor. It's the tech/resolution I use both at home and at work due to an eye condition, so I need to squeeze the precision out of every last little pixel with MSAA.

Private-server-WoW looks very sharp with 8x MSAA.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Has blizzard said that they will keep updating the classic servers with added content like the expansions? Or will it be classic forever?

AFAIK they are still thinking about it, but if they do, they will do it the smart way - release separate servers to which you migrate your character to, instead of re-starting the path of WoW decline by force-upgrading existing servers.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's kinda pointless to create new servers for people to migrate to because the classic servers will be dead in 2 months after that. It would be much smarter to upgrade the existing servers to TBC and open a few other fresh Classic ones.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin

They've said they'll monitor the response to Classic and the community feel for bringing out future expansions, as well that with groundwork laid with vanilla it'd be really easy to do something like TBC. The last word is that community response determines it.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It's kinda pointless to create new servers for people to migrate to because the classic servers will be dead in 2 months after that. It would be much smarter to upgrade the existing servers to TBC and open a few other fresh Classic ones.

What does this change, exactly? Aside from frustrating all players who never wanted to be force-upgraded?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Ah well, I don't care for most instanced content in MMOs. As your proposed path would force my character to eventually retard himself through all the expansions and erase all my efforts, eventually ending up in level-scaled Todd Howard Land with zero gameplay value, I'm firmly against it.

Lacrymas

Arcane
There really is no other alternative and no best world in this case, huh. Either we go through the same retarded process we went through already or the classic servers die because they are forever stuck in Naxx. The third option is give the chance to migrate to a TBC server, keep these ones at Naxx forever and open new fresh Classic ones, but I doubt they'll go this route, as they know the Naxx ones will die out in like 2 months after TBC comes out.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
My choice would be a seasonal server on few months cycles that will work a bit like Diablo ladder. Just transfer the characters into existing main realms after it's over. I wanted to do something like that back in my p. server days but rest of the team didn't want to put in the effort.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'm fine with going as far as TBC but everything after that is a downward spiral into imminent decline and releasing wotlk + other expansions just means that we'll have to relive the horror of WoW becoming shit all over again. Not sure about you guys, but I'd rather not do that. My proposal, in an ideal world, would be that Blizz would make TBC servers where you can migrate your toon from the Classic server, and then they'd start producing all new content that is strictly in line with Vanilla / TBC design sensibilities. But I somehow doubt that we'll get anything more than these Classic servers because Blizzard loves to shoot themselves on the foot constantly and they are too butthurt to admit that their current products are utter shit and the best thing they can put out into the market are rereleases of games that none of the current people working there made.

Gregz

Arcane
I'm fine with going as far as TBC but everything after that is a downward spiral into imminent decline and releasing wotlk + other expansions just means that we'll have to relive the horror of WoW becoming shit all over again. Not sure about you guys, but I'd rather not do that. My proposal, in an ideal world, would be that Blizz would make TBC servers where you can migrate your toon from the Classic server, and then they'd start producing all new content that is strictly in line with Vanilla / TBC design sensibilities. But I somehow doubt that we'll get anything more than these Classic servers because Blizzard loves to shoot themselves on the foot constantly and they are too butthurt to admit that their current products are utter shit and the best thing they can put out into the market are rereleases of games that none of the current people working there made.

There should be Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath servers available, with paid transfers. Just look at the private servers, there's demand for all of those.

I'm fine with going as far as TBC but everything after that is a downward spiral into imminent decline and releasing wotlk + other expansions just means that we'll have to relive the horror of WoW becoming shit all over again. Not sure about you guys, but I'd rather not do that.

I recall the majority of people liking WotLK the most and I’d be fine with WotLK. However, The “downward spiral” is a nonexistent issue - if you look at private servers, it’s just Classic, TBC and WotLK. No one is interested in i.e. Cata servers.

On another note, what they should do, especially with shit such as potential WotLK servers, is to have “progressive/gated content” or whatever, meaning that I’d youre on 3.3.5 it doesn’t suffice to just grind 5mans to go straight for Icecrown Citadel, you’d have to do Naxx and then Ulduar. I think Classic is like that by design but I may be mistaken, I’ve played it for several months but then TBC came out when I was level 50-something, so once again I’m not sure.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They are progressive servers. WotLK having the biggest sub count doesn't mean it was the best version, it started the decline, it had 3 filler raid tiers (out of 5), the gameplay went bonkers, etc.

They are progressive servers. WotLK having the biggest sub count doesn't mean it was the best version, it started the decline, it had 3 filler raid tiers (out of 5), the gameplay went bonkers, etc.

I kinda agree but I still had a lot of fun with it, and I’d play a retail Wotlk just for Sholazar Basin alone, hell, I even enjoyed cata as it was not so bad when it came out (difficult heroics, I liked the zones, nice and engaging phasing etc). Most people associate cata with complete shit because of Dragon Soul going on forever, and it’s the ending that can ruin a good thing going on. Of course by “good thing” I mean, relatively, for what it was.

It was with MoP that I completely lost interest. I played a bit of WoD but it was just too much for me.

Syl

Cipher
There should be Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath servers available, with paid transfers. Just look at the private servers, there's demand for all of those.
On the private server I played recently, it was quite clever. First, you had one free transfer per account. Second, it was not a transfer, it was a copy. So you could always come back to play Vanilla with your 60.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom