Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Keshik

Arcane
TBC would be nice. Paladin was not as boring as Vanilla but we weren't pigeonholed necessarily.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If Blizzard wasn't shit, they would do what Jagex did with Classic Runescape. They continue to add content that is voted on by the community, and the game has actually improved substantially.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If Blizzard wasn't shit, they would do what Jagex did with Classic Runescape. They continue to add content that is voted on by the community, and the game has actually improved substantially.
Pointless to say if. I'd say the odds of them adding new content to classic are practically nonexistent. Given the player response a progressive move to TBC and then Wrath is the most likely outcome IMO, probably with something like a free transfer to a static server if you don't want to move up, since I'm guessing a large portion of the community will.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I thought WOTLK was the high point of WoW PVP.

TBC is the one I never liked. If we really want to pinpoint true decline, TBC is when they began giving away epics with the badge system. The setting of it was ugly, looked like you were on an acid trip and I never cared much for the raids barring Karazhan. PVP was a fucking slog too.

cw8

Cipher
I thought WOTLK was the high point of WoW PVP.

TBC is the one I never liked. If we really want to pinpoint true decline, TBC is when they began giving away epics with the badge system. The setting of it was ugly, looked like you were on an acid trip and I never cared much for the raids barring Karazhan. PVP was a fucking slog too.

Really? Never did care about PVP after vanilla. I hated the changes they did to AV, where it was a real struggle for hours just to try to get a turning point. They turned it to a 10 min, who runs the fastest to the enemy warlord who wins bullshit. Not to mention the mass world PVP disappeared with the exppacks. Cross server PVP made everyone anonymous and there wasn't any identity anymore. Before cross server PVP, i knew that particular Warlock or Shadow Priest who has handed my ass to myself a 100 times over and sometimes we even salute each other out of respect. And I love the drawn out 1v1 duels that happen with vanilla.

I never liked TBC because of the environments too. Not fond of being on a rock in the middle of space and I missed Azeroth terribly. But TBC had challenging Heroics which were still engaging. I liked WOTLK because we're back on Azeroth but WOTLK was the start of joke 5 man dungeons, where you could mass pull and AE all of them dead, a group even two at the same time.

Last edited:

cw8

Cipher
There was identity in PvP in TBC, it's called high ranking arena.

I was a Lieutenant Commander in Vanilla. Quit during TBC once I was done with the heroics and some raids like Karazhan, quit and went completely casual after that for WOTLK, Cata and then Legion 3 years back. Never bothered with arena since then. I never liked the changes to BGs.

Irata

Scholar
Seems like just re-adding the expansions goes against the point of the servers. I only played in beta so I have no idea how hard this would be, but couldn't they just take the newer content and make it fit the classic rules?

cw8

Cipher
They'll probably just revisit every expansion again since there is demand for it. Minimum amount of work, maximum income. Activision would definitely like that.

Keshik

Arcane

That would be interesting to see, would be funny to see breakdowns of the types of players at least.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
There was identity in PvP in TBC, it's called high ranking arena.
This. I have many fond memories of doing heroics and 2v2 or 3v3s in TBC. The addition of meaningful, challenging and fun smaller group sized content that didn't sacrifice vanilla sensibilities in order to be more "casual friendly" was amazing. For me TBC was the high point since it felt like a far more polished and intelligently designed version of Vanilla WoW with end game content that didn't just cater to raiders and poop sockers. Finally, PvP was actually rewarding to skilled players rather than someone who merely had an infinite amount of time to sit in BGs.

cw8

Cipher
I never liked their arena PVP focus. Same reason I prefer to play Battlefield 1942 over some modern day FPS which focuses on smaller player size. Prefer the grand scale battles and being able to be immersed in one. By far AV was the most immersive over the WSGs and ABs. Then of course everything changed with the exp packs.

Pretty much the only thing I loved about TBCs was Karazhan and Druids getting flightform. Probably my favourite instance (as in enjoyable) together with ZG20 till the last time I played WoW - after Nighthold.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I would play a TBC server in a heartbeat (after getting my fill of classic), although I think TBC was the beginning or solidification of the theme-park formula used in subsequent expansions. WotLK continued the formula, but heavily casualized it imo.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just got into the game and I’m kind of enjoying it so far. I can see some really nice look and feel improvements like the dynamic lighting (or was it in vanilla as well?). Still the graphics looks vintage and all. Overall I’m happy I can visit Azeroth again without pandas and stuff.

J1M

Arcane
I'm fine with going as far as TBC but everything after that is a downward spiral into imminent decline and releasing wotlk + other expansions just means that we'll have to relive the horror of WoW becoming shit all over again. Not sure about you guys, but I'd rather not do that.

I recall the majority of people liking WotLK the most and I’d be fine with WotLK. However, The “downward spiral” is a nonexistent issue - if you look at private servers, it’s just Classic, TBC and WotLK. No one is interested in i.e. Cata servers.

On another note, what they should do, especially with shit such as potential WotLK servers, is to have “progressive/gated content” or whatever, meaning that I’d youre on 3.3.5 it doesn’t suffice to just grind 5mans to go straight for Icecrown Citadel, you’d have to do Naxx and then Ulduar. I think Classic is like that by design but I may be mistaken, I’ve played it for several months but then TBC came out when I was level 50-something, so once again I’m not sure.
They were called 'attunements'. They existed in Vanilla and TBC. I agree that they are a good idea because they created a series of sub-goals that were within reach.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Just got into the game and I’m kind of enjoying it so far. I can see some really nice look and feel improvements like the dynamic lighting (or was it in vanilla as well?). Still the graphics looks vintage and all. Overall I’m happy I can visit Azeroth again without pandas and stuff.
I think the lighting is new (and is one of the first things I noticed). Fires have a nice glow to them that I don't remember from vanilla or private servers.

I'm up to iron struts. :)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm barely in the mid 20s on my main. Fucking job. People running around with their mounts already and I have to blink everywhere.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Level 38. I am so close to my mount.

STV gets progressively worse every time I enter it with respect to wpvp. Sporadic skirmishes all over the place. I forgot how tough frost mages and warlocks could be. Those seem to have CC for days.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Hankthetank is now level 24 and collecting the last few horns for his fire-tempered warrior mail.

It's heartwarming to be constantly invited to guilds and groups.

The quest design is really good in the sense that it feels very open. Right now I can go anywhere I please. Do I check up on a lead in Darkshore? Do I quest in Darkshire? Or do I stay a while in the Wetlands?

You've got a lot of options and none are really terrible, yet they're all different. I can see why this game was a hit.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm fine with going as far as TBC but everything after that is a downward spiral into imminent decline and releasing wotlk + other expansions just means that we'll have to relive the horror of WoW becoming shit all over again. Not sure about you guys, but I'd rather not do that.

I recall the majority of people liking WotLK the most and I’d be fine with WotLK. However, The “downward spiral” is a nonexistent issue - if you look at private servers, it’s just Classic, TBC and WotLK. No one is interested in i.e. Cata servers.

On another note, what they should do, especially with shit such as potential WotLK servers, is to have “progressive/gated content” or whatever, meaning that I’d youre on 3.3.5 it doesn’t suffice to just grind 5mans to go straight for Icecrown Citadel, you’d have to do Naxx and then Ulduar. I think Classic is like that by design but I may be mistaken, I’ve played it for several months but then TBC came out when I was level 50-something, so once again I’m not sure.
They were called 'attunements'. They existed in Vanilla and TBC. I agree that they are a good idea because they created a series of sub-goals that were within reach.

Attunements also were a huge headache for guild recruiting, just feast your eyes on this bad boy.

k6Fevyc.jpg

It's not that complicated. I completed all of that (well, I don't think I ever completed "Serpentshire Lair" whatever the fuck that is).

Xor

Arcane

Attunements also were a huge headache for guild recruiting, just feast your eyes on this bad boy.

k6Fevyc.jpg
This chart makes it look way more complicated than it actually is. Half this shit is stuff every 70 would be doing anyway, like getting the heroic keys or just fucking completing normal instances. Oh shit, I have to pick up a quest to get the Kara key and then do a few instances. Such a headache.

Black Morass without a well coordinated group could be a headache though. I don’t recall whether it allowed 1 wipe or 0.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom