Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Skyrim

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
You can create some interesting characters based on your Perk choices, as well as what loot you want to use.

Not gonna dunk on you because of what you prefer to play or not, because I really don't give a damn, but I'm genuinely curious what "You can create some interesting characters based on your Perk choices" even frickin' means when talking about Skyrim.

In what way do Skyrim's perks make your character interesting when most perks are basically nothing more then perma-buffs and status effects. What is so interesting about doing 10% more fire damage versus 10% more archery damage? It doesn't have any significant impact on style of play either, and boils down to the same-old same-old.

I know you're probably just taking the piss out of people, but entertain me with an explanation.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
And the loot adds excellent character development? That Axe of Snowmageddon is just an Iron Axe with 3% cold damage.

Open Path

Learned
You can create some interesting characters based on your Perk choices, as well as what loot you want to use.

11046375_1068281616520064_3074373873291401686_n.png

YFPeX5t.png
https://i.imgur.com/YFPeX5t.png

Deleted Member 16721

Not gonna dunk on you because of what you prefer to play or not, because I really don't give a damn, but I'm genuinely curious what "You can create some interesting characters based on your Perk choices" even frickin' means when talking about Skyrim.

In what way do Skyrim's perks make your character interesting when most perks are basically nothing more then perma-buffs and status effects. What is so interesting about doing 10% more fire damage versus 10% more archery damage? It doesn't have any significant impact on style of play either, and boils down to the same-old same-old.

I know you're probably just taking the piss out of people, but entertain me with an explanation.

Skyrim has what, 18 different Perk trees? In these Perk trees there are many Perks you can pick up, and you can't possibly see them all in one playthrough unless you play to some absurd level. Often the trees have branches that have different paths you can go down. Focus on Frost as a Destruction Mage, or Hand to Hand damage with a Heavy Armor build. Choose between maces/swords/axes with the One-handed tree. You're not going to waste Perks on all of these at the same time generally speaking so you will be making choices with gameplay consequences. You can easily create a unique character given these Perks and your choices of Health/Magicka/Stamina.

And the loot adds excellent character development? That Axe of Snowmageddon is just an Iron Axe with 3% cold damage.

You get to a point where you have different enchanted items for different jobs. I carry them all with me while most would make a choice of a few to use. These can help outfit your builds, like let's say you have a really nice enchanted greatsword you like to use, so you keep a special war axe with soul trap on kill on it, since you run a heavy soul gem character. Since most will use soul gems, armor gets even more interesting. There are so many combinations including ones you can create yourself with crafting that you will often be making choices based on your build. Do you want to load up on Fire Resist? This cuirass has a much higher armor rating but a much less useful enchantment for your build (let's say the cuirass does Alteration spells cost less to cast and you're a thief build, and the Sneak Cuirass increases your Sneak skill by 40%). You may end up using the less armor for the exchange of the buff you want. I'm currently level 35 and have an entire outfit I banded together that represent buffs that I can use the best for my thief build. And there are many possible combinations.

Skyrim also blessed us with well-hidden level scaling. Instead of going in a straight line from Iron-Steel-Elven-Dwarven-Orcish-Glass-Ebony-Daedric-Dragonbone, you can find different material qualities at different times. You may only be on the Iron or Steel level and find an Orcish shield in a chest, or pilfter a Glass dagger from a certain handplaced loot location. Plus, as I suggested above with the various enchantments that you will want, a higher quality material is not guaranteed to be a sure bet upgrade. Upgrades are generally staggered and take awhile to find as you progress, making loot very well done in the game.

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

Skyrim has what, 18 different Perk trees? In these Perk trees there are many Perks you can pick up, and you can't possibly see them all in one playthrough unless you play to some absurd level. Often the trees have branches that have different paths you can go down. Focus on Frost as a Destruction Mage, or Hand to Hand damage with a Heavy Armor build. Choose between maces/swords/axes with the One-handed tree. You're not going to waste Perks on all of these at the same time generally speaking so you will be making choices with gameplay consequences. You can easily create a unique character given these Perks and your choices of Health/Magicka/Stamina.

Neat. That reply did not entertain me though, but thanks for the effort. I'm happy for you that you're so easily entertained by Skyrim's "deep and interesting" character development.

Anyway, back to popcorn and enjoying the show.

Deleted Member 16721

A few more quest mod reviews.

Project AHO - Pretty nice module, fairly easy but not too much so. Takes place in a Telvanni settlement in Skyrim. Lots of really great world-building and bits of lore. Quite high quality all the way through.

Moon and Star - Adds a new town and a few other cool little things. Short but worth checking out for a big surprise.

Grey Cowl of Nocturnal - Excellent module for a thief character. Quite challenging at points and maybe a few times a bit too cryptic, but I really enjoyed this one throughout. Adds some cool locations and lore, too.

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma - Playing this now but it seems the most polished so far, very high quality. I'll post more when I'm further along.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

You get to a point where you have different enchanted items for different jobs. I carry them all with me while most would make a choice of a few to use. These can help outfit your builds, like let's say you have a really nice enchanted greatsword you like to use, so you keep a special war axe with soul trap on kill on it, since you run a heavy soul gem character. Since most will use soul gems, armor gets even more interesting. There are so many combinations including ones you can create yourself with crafting that you will often be making choices based on your build. Do you want to load up on Fire Resist? This cuirass has a much higher armor rating but a much less useful enchantment for your build (let's say the cuirass does Alteration spells cost less to cast and you're a thief build, and the Sneak Cuirass increases your Sneak skill by 40%). You may end up using the less armor for the exchange of the buff you want. I'm currently level 35 and have an entire outfit I banded together that represent buffs that I can use the best for my thief build. And there are many possible combinations.

Skyrim also blessed us with well-hidden level scaling. Instead of going in a straight line from Iron-Steel-Elven-Dwarven-Orcish-Glass-Ebony-Daedric-Dragonbone, you can find different material qualities at different times. You may only be on the Iron or Steel level and find an Orcish shield in a chest, or pilfter a Glass dagger from a certain handplaced loot location. Plus, as I suggested above with the various enchantments that you will want, a higher quality material is not guaranteed to be a sure bet upgrade. Upgrades are generally staggered and take awhile to find as you progress, making loot very well done in the game.
If you would like more perk options there is an excellent mod for that called "ordinator", so named after the ordinators of morrowind. Don't know the relation between the mod and the game, but it is what it is.

Funposter

Arcane
Skyrim has what, 18 different Perk trees? In these Perk trees there are many Perks you can pick up, and you can't possibly see them all in one playthrough unless you play to some absurd level.

90% of these are also flat damage or AR buffs because Bethesda cannot design interesting perks. The build variation is surface level, because all weapon and damage types are functionally the same.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I rate vanilla Skyrim a 5/10 at best.

I rate Skyrim Requiem a 8/10.

"This mod changes nearly every aspect of the vanilla game, including basic gameplay concepts such as combat, magic and player statistics, rebalances items across the game world, introduces interface and aesthetic treatments, and so much more. Perhaps most importantly, it also completely delevels the game world's challenges and rewards. Taken as a whole, Requiem creates a vastly different playing experience compared to vanilla Skyrim - it encourages more intelligent, tactical play, allows for creative, emergent game styles, and gives the player a much more enriching and rewarding path of character growth inside the game world."

"New adventurers lack the skill and equipment to tackle the dangers of Skyrim. During early levels, a lack of healthy fear and preparation will quickly result in death. Even as you grow in experience, combat will always remain deadly, as a sword or arrow in the gut is a death sentence without some measure of protection."

"Powerful foes may seem unbeatable at first, but they will fall when confronted with clever planning and strategy, giving access to items of incredible power. Items of all sorts are balanced to match the challenges required to claim them, even if you have to wrestle them from the cold, dead hands of their previous owners!"

"However, Requiem's mission and resulting gameplay changes are not suited for the average player who simply wants to explore vanilla Skyrim and then be done with it. Requiem's world is dangerous and deadly for the unprepared and unskilled. Requiem requires patience, planning and a willingness to invest time in growing your character from a humble adventurer into a true savior of Tamriel. One of the most important things to remember about your character in Requiem is that you are defined by your perks, as skills primarily allow you to unlock perks, but affect little else. Invest your perks into the character you want to play, not the character you think you should play."

"Much of our inspiration for Requiem came from older titles like previous Elder Scrolls Titles (mainly Morrowind and Daggerfall), Gothic, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment and so on. You might also see bits of the Witcher series or even Dark Souls, too. But just as importantly, we also looked to traditional pen-and-paper roleplaying games for ideas on how to build the world, give players more freedom and inject a sense of realism into our vision for Skyrim."

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19281

I never got into Skyrim, even though I had it since release. A friend of mine told me to try it with Requiem, and it was a completely new game. I've put in over 700 hours into Skyrim with Requiem (I play DiD: Dead is Dead/Permadeath) and I couldn't play without it.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

Project AHO - Pretty nice module, fairly easy but not too much so. Takes place in a Telvanni settlement in Skyrim. Lots of really great world-building and bits of lore. Quite high quality all the way through.

Moon and Star - Adds a new town and a few other cool little things. Short but worth checking out for a big surprise.

Grey Cowl of Nocturnal - Excellent module for a thief character. Quite challenging at points and maybe a few times a bit too cryptic, but I really enjoyed this one throughout. Adds some cool locations and lore, too.

Beyond Skyrim: Bruma - Playing this now but it seems the most polished so far, very high quality. I'll post more when I'm further along.

How can they "add lore"?

Is this the one where an Italian voiced the Hero of Kvatch-a?

While you’re at it, check out Beyond Reach, it’s kind of creepy and desolate but a nice change of pace IMO, even if you can see the plot twist before the proper plot even begins. Those Beyond Skyrim provinces will never be released anyway.

Of all the quest mods I’ve played, I’d say Wheels of Lull is the best since it’s the most Kirkbridean/C0DA thing since, well, forever.

EDIT: I've heard great things about The Forgotten City (some murder mystery I think, won some writers award) and VIGILANT (Dark Souls ripoff but more or less lore friendly) though did not play them yet.

Last edited:

How can they "add lore"?

More like write lore-friendly fanfiction, though if you listen to Michael Kirkbride (as you should), in this way it is synonymous as well.

https://www.c0da.es/c0da/provisional

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom