Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A windy story game

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
Dont depress over some stupid shit bro. You doin a great job, game's looking very interesting!
Thanks man
extra_smug.gif

I bounced back pretty quick

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Looks/reads like fun indeed; new settings are always welcome in RPGs. Waiting eagerly for 2022 to come around.

Otay

Developer
Looks/reads like fun indeed; new settings are always welcome in RPGs. Waiting eagerly for 2022 to come around.
Thanks brother

Your question sparked me to write out those ideas, and now i think thats the official plot now. I was supposed to be working yesterday but I got in the zone dreaming up the big picture for this game, so i started drafting the path to the mountain shrine

mountain%20shrine.png

rh2.png

Otay

Developer
This is crude, but heres an outline for the real estate so far.

(Ran out of room for Kalroth, but expanding the borders is easy, and none of this actually to scale or anything.)

map.gif

So now using this map, ill outline the plan we have so far, and ill rate how i feel about the progress /10.

1) Talonovia:
• 8/10. Might need polish, but not sure on what exactly.

Talonovia.png

2) Rhunia:
• 9/10. In version 1.2.1 this map was more of a 6/10. I wasnt sure what it needed for months, but I finally brought it together somehow.

imntz.png

3) Rhunia Citadel:
• 6/10 needs work, will polish when the connection to Rhunia Part 2 is made. I've improved this a little since 1.2.1, but it still doesnt have the vibe that the other maps are giving.

Rhunia%20Citadel.png

4) Etzland
• 8/10. I love this map. Still could benefit a ton from vertex painting the ground, and adding some ground foliage or something. I havent tried making actual grass yet.

Etzland%20wilderness.png

5) Etzland Citadel
• 8/10. This place is lit. Better in 1.2.2 than 1.2.1 because there's lots of candles now.

Etzland%20Citadel.png

e3.png

6) Haxlyn
• 2/10. All I have for this area is a draft of the aesthetic I'm going for. Which is a swamp like area, with cave-like hideouts, like this:

h3.png

t2.gif

7) Haxlyn Citadel
• 6/10. Looks great, but the level needs work.

6i.jpg

8) Valimor
• 0/10. Haven't started. I'm picturing an orange and purple mountain-like area with lots of tall plateaus. So imagine the place where piccolo trained gohan but in ROTT's aesthetic i guess.

lDgCqMV.jpg

9) Valimor Citadel
• 5/10. The aesthetic is nice, and theres some cool stuff here. Needs polish and gameplay implemented.
fl4.png

10) Rhunia outskirts
• 5/10. Feeling really good about this potentially being my best work, and setting a standard for the other maps, but its only half done.

mountain%20shrine.png

11) Talonovia outskirts
• 2/10. Havent started, but I have this unused map that actually fits the direction I'm thinking of.

3f.jpg

12) Etzland outskirts
• 0/10. I have this unused map that happens to have a green Etzland theme, but i dont really like this.

3g.jpg

12) Kalroth
• 1/10. Havent thought much about this. We need an ice level. So maybe a bunch of snowy mountains are connected by bridges made out of this kinda stuff:

3i.jpg

13) Kalroth Citadel
• 0/10. I dono yet, I'm picturing like, an abandoned ff7 mako reactor covered in ice and snow.
28A09DBD0F78987A323F505B73584E940888B9F6

14) The Aksalom Skygate
• 1/10. I have big plans for this place if we ever get that far. This was actually one of the first places I tried to 3d model, but the files became corrupt. All I have is this very shitty screenshot from 2012, so thats kind of ominous. (It's like Dominus doesnt want me to build the gate to the kingdom of the 7th house.)
SkyGate.png

15) Kingdom of the 7th house
• 0/10. No clue yet lol.

Last edited:

Citizen

Graphic design is very cool and nostalgic, reminds me of early 2000's 3d action/platformer games

oscar

Arcane
I like the aesthetic a lot. Plotwise, everyone suffering a bad acid trip 24/7 is a more interesting idea of a demonic invasion than red horned guys running around whacking people with axes

Otay

Developer
Graphic design is very cool and nostalgic, reminds me of early 2000's 3d action/platformer games
Thank you!
rating_salute.gif
heart.png

I like the aesthetic a lot. Plotwise, everyone suffering a bad acid trip 24/7 is a more interesting idea of a demonic invasion than red horned guys running around whacking people with axes
Haha glad you like it, I thought so too.
rating_salute.gif
heart.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Indeed, it oozes with the wild creativity in style of many a psx title from that era had. Particularly like how Talonovia and Rhunia are looking right now.

Otay

Developer
Just got fired. The 9/9 update may be the last one for a while, so I'll make it a good one. Thank you all for joining me on this journey, its been fun.

Otay

Developer
Sucks man. Hang in there bro.
thanks user mustawd :]

New aesthetic for Kalroth wilderness has been established (roughly):

KKnz2IX.png

the blackened stone roots of nature, our undead mother, clawing upward toward the ominous looming infrastructure of an abandoned kingdom, while the tempest twists around you like a serpent circling prey

MWKbX0a.gif

i couldnt be happier with how well this theme has grown to reflect the massive anxiety i feel toward things like global warming, corruption in politics, and the rapid growth of technology

o42vM3q.png

I am at the mercy of the untamed, the undead, and the unfathomable. I am the loyal blind rat, serving only toward The End that has chosen me. God bless our rancid earth, dangle us from the fraying ends of our meaningless lives.

Ą̫̤̯̗̹̹̗͜m̨̢̩̥͠e̵̪̳̫̼̗̝͉̜n҉̡̟̞͕͉̗.̯̯͉̜͎̖̬̻͘

8XkbdSSN0Pc0GT+AT2c2UpNwHnU.gif

Otay

Developer
I'm trying to establish the aesthetic for each area so that I can tease people into supporting my patreon. (https://www.patreon.com/BrambleGateStudios) Thats my scheme, lolz.

In reality Kalroth is actually like 1 - 2 years away on my to do list T____T

I might just be teasing myself more than anyone else though

Edit: cant believe I forgot chernobyl for the untamed tech category for that image ^

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
I just got a MASSIVE donation of $100 from a complete stranger.

I'm going wild.
heart.png
I'm going wild.
heart.png
I'm going wild.
heart.png

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Woah, congratulations! That's incredibly generous indeed. I just became a zombie on your patreon. No idea about PR, but I don't think a 15' introductory video will be too enticing to newcomers (as much confidence as it gives to us nerds who care about planning). Perhaps a proper trailer following youtube's guideline for ensnaring retards attracting customers of 5'' to get your attention, 30'' to pitch you would be in order. Maybe double the time values, but I wouldn't go much further with it.

Good luck with whatever job comes next.

Otay

Developer
Woah, congratulations! That's incredibly generous indeed. I just became a zombie on your patreon. No idea about PR, but I don't think a 15' introductory video will be too enticing to newcomers (as much confidence as it gives to us nerds who care about planning). Perhaps a proper trailer following youtube's guideline for ensnaring retards attracting customers of 5'' to get your attention, 30'' to pitch you would be in order. Maybe double the time values, but I wouldn't go much further with it.

Good luck with whatever job comes next.
Agreed, I'm aware my social media game needs work, so I thought I'd work on all of that after the 1.2.2 update tomorrow.

I'm also considering offering 25 - 50% of my patreon earnings to anyone interested in joining my team to help with some things.

If anyones interested, responsibilities include:

• Patreon content
• Content and website development for our homepage, realmofthetempest.com
• ROTT Wiki content
• Instagram content
• Twitter content
• Reddit content
• Gamejolt and Itch.io
• Discord community management and content
• Advisory to the dev team (otay, otays, and otaykins, etc)

You will also receive special in game thanks on the donations page permanently for your service, even if only for a couple weeks.

This could be you,

23BuYKb.png

Tkm50RS.png

Apply now, and join Bramble Gate studios today

logo1.png

Otay

Developer
Also, thank you very much for becoming a zombie!

QL5IZOA.png

I saw your donation pop in live while I was editing the page haha

Made me feel very excited that it happened right in front of me

Otay

Developer
oh my god my controller broke and its 15 hours until release noooooooooo

i didnt even know the cord had even started wearing and suddenly its completely broke

i was going to take a pic but my camera on my phone is cracked and blurry LMAO all my tech is conspiring against me

Otay

Developer
got zero downloads so far, but im already mentally prepared to be one of those ppl that only get attention after they die

mothwelp.png

The Red Knight

Erudite
I've only got keyboard+mouse, and an old 32-bit Win laptop (I assume it's 64-bit only like all the new games made nowadays?), but it's very high on my list of games to play when I eventually upgrade. I dig the looks of it. :love:

Otay

Developer
I've only got keyboard+mouse, and an old 32-bit Win laptop (I assume it's 64-bit only like all the new games made nowadays?), but it's very high on my list of games to play when I eventually upgrade. I dig the looks of it. :love:
Thanks! I'm pretty sure it works on 32 bit machines. My controller just broke and I replaced it for $15 on amazon, which surprised me how cheap it was.

Edit: FUCK this controller lmao do not buy $15 controllers off amazon they are so bad, fuccck

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
Nice to see a Millennial coder who actually likes and appreciates c/c++, but is it really too much trouble to write a paragraph that at least summarizes what your game is about? Is it even an RPG? It looks like a game with graphics but only environment art. No monster/character art. Is this because you don't 3D model and don't have the artistic talent for drawing sprites?

I also find coding to be fun and therapeutic, but if I were making a game with graphics and could not hire a real artist I would try to learn to make 3D character models. 3D because I have been told it is much easier for non-artists than drawing 2D sprites. I was recently given a book list on 3D character modeling by another programmer who swears learning to do it well is no problem at all even for people with zero artistic talent. Also why did you choose UDK instead of Unity or some other engine like Irrlicht? The thing that bothers me about unity is c# which Ive never liked, but otherwise it seems ok.

Otay

Developer
Nice to see a Millennial coder who actually likes and appreciates c/c++, but is it really too much trouble to write a paragraph that at least summarizes what your game is about? Is it even an RPG? It looks like a game with graphics but only environment art. No monster/character art. Is this because you don't 3D model and don't have the artistic talent for drawing sprites?

I also find coding to be fun and therapeutic, but if I were making a game with graphics and could not hire a real artist I would try to learn to make 3D character models. 3D because I have been told it is much easier for non-artists than drawing 2D sprites. I was recently given a book list on 3D character modeling by another programmer who swears learning to do it well is no problem at all even for people with zero artistic talent. Also why did you choose UDK instead of Unity or some other engine like Irrlicht? The thing that bothers me about unity is c# which Ive never liked, but otherwise it seems ok.

These are my characters so far

BSRA00z.png
JwA3QK9.png
3qC6g3Q.png
7uI44FP.png
XCK6R9y.png
g5lIST7.png

With various color variations

And i have one NPC done so far

ZUKURWw.png

The game didnt have a main plot until adolfsatan asked and I made something up, so we're going with that. If I had to summarize the game, I'd say its a turn based rpg for speedrunners.

p.s. I chose UDK because it was the only engine I knew about in 2011

jewboy

Arbiter
Those are 2D sprites? What software did you use to draw them? Or did you draw them on paper and scan them? Are you going to animate them?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom