Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter The Wayward Realms - upcoming Daggerfall-like RPG from original Elder Scrolls developers - coming to Kickstarter

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I think he meant Scott Ham since he also mentioned he's worked on Battle Brothers. Could also mean sser might hop along :roll:

sser

Arcane
Developer
I did about 95-99% of Battle Brothers if you're going by word count. And 0% of AoD. Maybe even a net negative by occasionally pulling Vault into the occasional discussion and wasting precious time. So it is most likely Scott. And also because I didn't even know this existed until just now.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Really not a fan of procedurally generated content. I can appreciate some things being more open than in nu-Bethesda games like spellmaking and cities not being in closed instances, but quest-related NPC's being immortal isn't honestly important to me since I never see a point to attack non-hostile NPC's.
If their selling point is a Daggerfall clone made in Unity with shoelace budget I don't see a reason to get excited personally.

Molina

Savant
Really not a fan of procedurally generated content. I can appreciate some things being more open than in nu-Bethesda games like spellmaking and cities not being in closed instances, but quest-related NPC's being immortal isn't honestly important to me since I never see a point to attack non-hostile NPC's.
If their selling point is a Daggerfall clone made in Unity with shoelace budget I don't see a reason to get excited personally.
Really, it depends. For exemple, CK2 is procedurally generated, but it is very deep, and it's a very good support for roleplay. Overall, I expect no less, but in first person view.

grimace

Arcane
Indigo Gaming LIVE Daggerfall Unity Alpha #2 | There's No Wayrest for the Wicked... https://youtu.be/vQoDFKxVk24

Indigo Gaming aka Marketing Director of OnceLost Games Ian Phoenix live plays Daggerfall Unity Alpha.

It's 4 hours. I haven't watched and do not know if any relevant information is released.

Open Path

Learned
Plus Julian Lafey/Jensen seems to be really into procedural generation in his Indigo Gaming interview

I also noticed this and I would include Indigo guy too and many new Daggerfall fans. There is also a trend among indie developers and a lot of players in overestimate procedural generation cappabilities and true value in regard world generation and even more in pure random playable content. But procedural generation is also an obvious inferior way to design and implement content in comparison with the level of detail, design control and consistence posible with handcrafting. No Man's Sky animals aberrations or locations level of reusing aren't fruit of Sean Murray lies or developers lacks, but direct result of what procedural generation can do in regard 3d complex world crreation or creatures design... Procedural generation is only great in simple or highly abstracted worlds or mechanics.

Really, it depends. For exemple, CK2 is procedurally generated, but it is very deep, and it's a very good support for roleplay. Overall, I expect no less, but in first person view.

CK2 which is mainly a strategy game and far from a pure procedurally generated one, has not much in common with Daggerfall. The urgence, the timing, the competition, the point of view, the knowledge of world events, the exploration or lack ot it, the character progression, the replayability, the duration of a normal playthrough, etc, etc all is very different and favours the presence of random traits, personalities or other minor random features in CK2 while in DF random parts are a simple limitation by the world vastness and don't offer richness to the experience.

In fact Daggerfall is not exactly a procedural game. It's a very generic game, with a lot of reuse, but that's because its scale and there was some procedural generation in locations development for that reason, however a strict world design predates procedural generation, after which the world is fixed and the only procedural generation that players can experience is the change in loot and some monsters in less relevant dungeons and the change of locations or names in the most generic quests.

On the other hand the factions locations, the reputation system, the climates, the settlements and dungeons layouts, the relevant npcs, all is fixed. Also main quest locations, the best in the game by far and relevant npcs and dialogue, are obviously 100% handcrafted also. Daggerfall was good despite the procedural design of most locations and the random nature of part of its gameplay.

What are the best parts in Daggerfall? The character creation, the skill system, the multiple services, mounts or ships and other mechanics, the reputation system, the multiple routes in main quest. All designed content and mechanics with zero randomness.

There are other games more similar to Daggerfall than CK2 with good amounts of generic content and "spawning" as Kenshi or Mount & Blade, however besides differences in mechanics, both games have far more world dinamicity than true randomness or procedural mechanics/content. The world is deeply designed and fixed and besides dinamic world no randomness benefits the experience in any of those games -single player at least-. The best example is how superior are M&B total conversion mods that add layers of uniqueness and handcrafted and detailed locations, quests or events vs vanilla -that I insist, it's mostly fixed and not generated even if generic-

Kaethar

Educated
Original Developers of FALLOUT, IWD working on a BG SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! TAKE MY MONEY!

Original Developers of FALLOUT, TORMENT working on a TORMENT SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR! START THE HYPE TRAIN!

When are you gonna learn, guys? It's pathetic.
LMAOOOO

Kaethar

Educated
Good luck though! I like that Indigo guy's videos, funny how he's went from talking about LeFay to interviewing him to now making a game with him.

Actually I certainly hope they do try to make the best art and graphics they can and not pander to blind nostalgia. Arena and Daggerfall tried to make the nicest graphics they could at the time. So there is no reason not to do the same now. I don't see the point of just trying to remake Daggerfall if they don't improve anything.

Because that would be extremely expensive and for a project like this, far from a top priority

Delterius

Arcane
Actually I certainly hope they do try to make the best art and graphics they can and not pander to blind nostalgia. Arena and Daggerfall tried to make the nicest graphics they could at the time. So there is no reason not to do the same now. I don't see the point of just trying to remake Daggerfall if they don't improve anything.

Because that would be extremely expensive and for a project like this, far from a top priority
also it wouldn't appeal to the bethesda demographic

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I'm coming back from their Discord, Ted Peterson is brainposting and shitposting there for whole day, today!

Many teases, his in-depth opinions on his Bethesda past (from Arena to Oblivion), ideas for grand role-play on grand scale (min. being Ted and Julian's idea of Morrowind that lost battle against Todd's Morrowind and max. being bigger then Daggerfall), financial future and status of company (I pushed for this question, among others) etc.

Also apparently one of the devs from AoD works with them and Ted loved AoD! Also spell making is 101% guaranteed by Ted, lycanthropy is in, magic that can't be bought of shelf, NPCs and factions with CK2 style dynamic traits and powerplay that player might join, many races of which few quite unique but no furry ones because of fear of Bethesda lawyers etc. If you join their Council of Wisdom discord, do expect Sheogorath sense of humour from Ted. Let's say he has molestation monopoly on Julian. His words. With or without GOAT CHEESE! My words

I have hopes for this, sue me! I'll probably rename myself to Chancellor Incline later. Don't ya take my name from me! See you all there
Everyone in that discord is either a modern Bethestard or actively dislikes everything about Daggerfall. If that's their target audience, I can safely write off their game.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Discord talk about goals:

- huge dynamic world to explore
- rich lore to be discovered through npcs and in-game books
- non-linear and branching endless quests which will evolve with the world (like a dungeon master would do running a pnp campaign)
- robust character creation and character advancement
- fantasy life simulator

Butter

Arcane
Patron

- non-linear and branching endless quests which will evolve with the world (like a dungeon master would do running a pnp campaign)
This part sounds pie in the sky. There's only so much evolution that you can account for as the developer.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

This part sounds pie in the sky. There's only so much evolution that you can account for as the developer.

Currently Toady is doing the same thing in Dwarf Fortress with the 'villians' update, so it must be doable.

Here is Toady sperging for 30 minutes about just this, he calls it 'procedural stories'

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Everyone in that discord is either a modern Bethestard or actively dislikes everything about Daggerfall. If that's their target audience, I can safely write off their game.
All the kult of kirkbride fags found it.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane

Developer talk was largely replaced by marketing director talk a long time ago.

How many times have we heard terms like 'radiant AI', 'expansive open environments', 'non-linear stories', and 'intelligent world design that reacts to your every decision', etc? These are just marketing slogans, nothing more.

Hell, I love Morrowind for what it is, but I remember even back then Bethesda using terms like that. Come on, it's a fun game, but 'reactive characters that change their behavior because of your decisions'? Really? There's hundreds of NPCs in the world, and nearly every one of them is a textured quest marker. Nearly every one being stationary one at that. The only damn truly reactive thing in Morrowind is the cliff racers, probably one of the most hated game enemies in history.

It's just hype to push profit margins up a tick. Want a truly interactive open world environment that reacts to your decisions? Go outside.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
3:17:00, they have the same idea as Toady, interesting that different developers, have the same idea about making a game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom