Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I managed to finish Serpent Isle "before the internet". Now reading the above, I am kind of surprised at that...

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I managed to finish Serpent Isle "before the internet". Now reading the above, I am kind of surprised at that...

Same - this reads as very revisionist for mine.

Yeah, this is one reason I don't like the Digital Antiquarian, his articles seem well researched, but he often comes to conclusions that feel very off from how things were really perceived at the time

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Reading the history of Origin and product shuffling, low sales is a tad depressing. I knew the 2nd half of SI felt off but having it verified that they needed a few more months for polish confirms that suspicion. In some ways, I think the pushing the envelope of newer and newer engines crippled the company at times (that and far too many spread out projects).

I don't recall all the EA details (the vultures they are).

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Reading the history of Origin and product shuffling, low sales is a tad depressing. I knew the 2nd half of SI felt off but having it verified that they needed a few more months for polish confirms that suspicion. In some ways, I think the pushing the envelope of newer and newer engines crippled the company at times (that and far too many spread out projects).

I don't recall all the EA details (the vultures they are).

The post-banes world was really disappointing. I was too young at the time to know about Origin's financial problems, but up to that point Serpent Isle had been the highlight of my Ultima, and indeed RPG life. My feelings after exploring the remains of the lands of Danger and Despair was 'we destroy worlds'.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth

Same - this reads as very revisionist for mine.

Yeah, this is one reason I don't like the Digital Antiquarian, his articles seem well researched, but he often comes to conclusions that feel very off from how things were really perceived at the time
100% agree!
His recent article about Alone in the Dark is an excellent example of that. It's clear that he lacks complete context of the times when the game was released, while complaining about the absurd puzzles (dumb young "me" managed to finish the game before any gaming magazine had published a walkthrough), bad graphics (were there any "beautiful" 3d vector games in 1992 ?) weird camera angles (the "weird" angles were supposed to emulate the bizarre camera angles of horror B-Movies of the 70s and 80s) and terrible combat (the guy is obviously a noob in action games).

The game has sure aged a lot, but it was state-of-the-art when it appeared (and it even ran fine on a 286 PC). Something which the Antiquarian clearly has no clue about. The same thing could apply to other essays he's written concerning other games.
An historian who lacks good "context" skills should stay well clear of History.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think we fell behind our audience in terms of the sophistication they expected and we catered too much to the hardcore fans

I think I'm going to be sick. From the completely ignorant customer perspective Ultima VII looked incredible, the local Software Etc showed it off on their computer. Getting it set up was a nightmare, but it didn't matter, it was awesome to us.

Meanwhile, I remember when my brother picked up Ultima VIII and he was so disappointed that he returned it. We didn't play it until I got a bargain bin copy a few years later.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I rather liked Metal Jesus' reviews on Ultima. I agree about the U7 box just being stunning for what it was. Sadly, I ended up getting a hand me down from a used store so I drool at those mint condition manuals. I missed out on the big box versions of Serpent Isle, silver Serpent, Forge of Virtue, U8, Ultima underworld I&II and ended up with those small compilation boxes that had jack and shit in them. BLARG!

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
U7 was so awesome at the time, not everbody had a computer powerful enough to run it. It was the utter beejees, people where just looking at all the NPCs doing their stuff and in awe. Main complaints where the inventory and the combat. Nobody ever accused the game for being too long

Cael

Arcane
U7 was hampered by its memory management system. It really took the whole thing to extremes. Remember, this was the 640k period, and U7 can take 600k of that or more (I can't remember now). You practically have to create your own boot disk to clear space AND run the game's quirky system, which was neither EMS or XMS. At a time when computers were voodoo magic boxes to most people. I was lucky that I was self-taught in computers, and so I knew what to do to mess around with the memory and boot disks. The casual users? Forget it. In fact, I doubt most of the users today would be able to get U7 to run in 640k hardware.

EruDaan

Arcane
. It was the utter beejees, people where just looking at all the NPCs doing their stuff and in awe.

NPCs having an schedule of what they do at any given time at specific places is something that even decades later was / is very rare for a game to actually manage like U7 did.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I think Rich wanted to make the worlds very much an AI VR esp after reading about the UO ecology with herbivores, carnivores and growing vegitation. I guess that failed though. Good ol online economical destruction. First online game i played i kept reading how the economy was fucked. As a newb i was like "wtf you talking about?"

ShaggyMoose

Savant
U7 was hampered by its memory management system. It really took the whole thing to extremes. Remember, this was the 640k period, and U7 can take 600k of that or more (I can't remember now). You practically have to create your own boot disk to clear space AND run the game's quirky system, which was neither EMS or XMS. At a time when computers were voodoo magic boxes to most people.
Arrrghhh, Voodoo memory manager! I had to create a bootdisk with a special configuration just to get this thing to load, including a minimal mouse driver!

Cael

Arcane
U7 was hampered by its memory management system. It really took the whole thing to extremes. Remember, this was the 640k period, and U7 can take 600k of that or more (I can't remember now). You practically have to create your own boot disk to clear space AND run the game's quirky system, which was neither EMS or XMS. At a time when computers were voodoo magic boxes to most people.
Arrrghhh, Voodoo memory manager! I had to create a bootdisk with a special configuration just to get this thing to load, including a minimal mouse driver!
Yep. The only other game I had to make a special boot disk for was, ironically, The Crescent Hawk's Revenge.

PrettyDeadman

What best ultima game to start play, preferably turn based.

Cael

Arcane
Ultima 4 until Ultima 7:2

Ultima 1-3 are stand alone games, pretty much. 4 onwards is a legitimate coherent series with the same protagonist throughout.

There is no Ultima beyond 7:2.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
title3.jpg

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Unless you are a combatfag, you should start with Ultima IV. The game is exploration heaven, has a truly unique plot, and the best karma system in the series (and maybe even this whole genre), it was really groundbreaking. Unfortunately there is no definitive version of this game, I'm guessing the DOS version with the music patch may be the best for you, but if you're a purist emulate the Apple II one, while the Master System version is great for beginners.

If you are a combatfag and don't mind starting with a direct sequel, Ultima V has the best combat in the series by far. Just patch the DOS version (which in this case is great) and you're good.

And if you're not into 8 bit games at all, and want to experience a truly immersive game, Ultima Underworld by Looking Glass is a must. Obviously not a turn-based game, though.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Gotta say that I did like the SMS version. The ranged tactical had almost a bit of ultima 5 in there. Now I can't recall if you can purchase larger quantities of food, torches, reagents, weapons in the menus. I could be thinking of the vast variations of Ultima 3 I tried (from the c64, c64 gold, amiga, nes, Gameboy with part 2, to FM-Towns trilogy). Ultima 2.. blarg. It is what it is and I think the only versions I haven't tried are the palm os, and appleII (possible a few others since they seem obscure but I think the FM-towns sort of covers the pc-88/98).

THIS!!!! OH THIS!!!! IS THE GAME TO START WITH!!!!
This dude sort of takes this more seriously

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
As someone who only later went back to the Ultimas, I thought 7 was an interesting experience and lovely to just explore, but with completely and utterly broken combat - 'broken' isn't even a metaphor here, it's just incredulously nonsensical and thankfully can be done at the speed of light. Ultima Underworld was a genuinely great expeirence all round that I would recommend to anybody.

Barbalos

Savant
Serpent Isle was my favourite I'd say, but I also felt it dropped off way too much in the second half. The first half has a lot of interesting NPCs and dialogue and the second has very little. Black Gate was better at that and it's pretty close between the two in terms of my preference. I also didn't play the earlier entries though so I'm definitely no expert on the series. I wanted to try that Ultima V remake in the Dungeon Siege engine some time, Lazarus it's called. I haven't heard much about it but it looked interesting.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I thought 7 was an interesting experience and lovely to just explore, but with completely and utterly broken combat - 'broken' isn't even a metaphor here, it's just incredulously nonsensical and thankfully can be done at the speed of light.
Except when you realise that Spark got knocked or killed about ten minutes back and you just noticed... #$*&*(#$%^@

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom