Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you have a supreme game that almost everything you play you compare it to?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Something you have loved for years and you keep returning to, and most games you play you think, "The exploration was better in x". Or, "Why am I playing this shitty combat when I could be playing x?" Etc.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Doom for FPS
Hollow Knight recently set a new benchmark for metroidvania
Mega Man games for pure platforming
Super Contra for run and gun
Wizardry 6 for a dungeon crawler
Wizardry 7 for world crawler
Planescape for storytelling, companion interaction
Fallout for atmosphere

Frozen

Arcane
No.
I find all modern RPGs lacking especially in production values.
I want to be superficially entertained and couldn't care less about "good" gameplay.
I mean I guess I could enjoy Fallout 1,2 tactics even today but sprites? in 2019?
No thanks.

Tigranes

Arcane
Oh no this video game is not made with as many pixels as it is possible to squeeze into the screen, my soul crumbles at its sight, and lo, I can do naught but escape this software

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
SMAC's p. good. Hard to top in terms of 4X and sci-fi setting.
HOMM3 is also a league of its own with latest mods installed. I struggle to come up with a better hotseat game.

laclongquan

Arcane
No. My criteria is a bit too wide to have a game that compass all of it. Or half of it. Or quarter of it.

Each game that I like and return to it is most likely unique in the criteria I assigned to it.

Any guy that has a suppreme game like OP say should be autist, as he only like one thing (or one model of things) only in game~

EDIT: example like SMAC. It's certainly suppreme in its features. But if I want to have a go at combat between several model of customized units, I would return to Warzone 2100 to battle it out. Or example like Fallout 2. When I want to slake my thirst in tactical combat the like of Fallout setting, I turn to Fallout Tactic. Or tactical combat but not Fallout setting, Silent Storm series. Or tactical combat with more than six guys on my side, Jagged Alliance 2.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Something you have loved for years and you keep returning to, and most games you play you think, "The exploration was better in x". Or, "Why am I playing this shitty combat when I could be playing x?" Etc.

Can't say I do, but I know EQ is yours~

Abhay

Augur
Mafia City of Lost heaven - Combat, storytelling, driving, approach to certain in-game mechanics and atmosphere are always arising in my mind whenever I am playing open world games.

GTA San Andreas - Same reasons as above except for the shitty combat.

Arx Fatalis - Love this game's fantastic atmosphere and immersion. The openness in the world and the feeling of a lonesome explorer seeking to answers by stepping into the unpredictable, unseen dangers of the world around him leaves a sense of intrigue and wonder that is hard to explain to words, and a rarity to experience in modern rpg games.

Hidden and Dangerous 1 (aka Deluxe) - A large section of the missions and the tactical aspects of the game still make it a notch above the rest in its genre that I often keep returning to experience in playing the game. Silen Storm is also another great game in the same league but it becomes a bit repetitive and boring quite fast compared to H&D 1, though I still enjoy it.

laclongquan

Arcane
Jagged Alliance 2 for tactics. The genre reached its peak right there.

If you mean larger squad tactic, indeed.

But if you want a 6 or less man squad tactic, Silent Storm is making progress. Especially in regard to PK: think of it as man-sized tank. How many times you have complained about not being able to fight tanks to your heart content in JA2?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But if you want a 6 or less man squad tactic, Silent Storm is making progress. Especially in regard to PK: think of it as man-sized tank. How many times you have complained about not being able to fight tanks to your heart content in JA2?
Silent Storm did some things better but in total JA2 was a more "complete" game imo.
WW2 is also a bit of an overused setting and kinda boring for me too.
Not saying that Silent Storm is not great though, it just lacked maybe a bit more character customization and equipment variety

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Only per genre or subgenre and per mechanic/thing I like or dislike in whatever game I am playing.
Tactical FPS would be SWAT 4.
Milsim would be Arma 3 or Operation Flashpoint. (Former wins to an extreme degree in actually being a milsim and the detail and features it has, but the latter has the best milsim campaign ever, along with an excellent expansion that is arguably even better.)
Stealth would be Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Hitman 2016. The former when it comes to AI which is so ahead of everything else it's not even funny and can manage to make each playthrough unique, the latter when it comes to being a replayable sandbox.
Third person shooter would be probably Max Payne 1 and 2.
"Classic" FPS would be Half-Life.
Multiplayer shooter would be Counter Strike 1.6 or Team Fortress 2.
ARPG is Deus Ex, if you consider it that. If not, Gothic 2, but Gothic 2 is something that is also up in the air as the game below is although to a lesser degree because I did quit Gothic 2 once 30 hours in, but I decided to pick it up again some time later and finish it off with a new save.
I don't know what I would call my favourite TB CRPG yet, nothing has left a lasting impression. Fallout 1 might be close, but unless I have a desire to replay it I don't think I can call it my favourite in good confidence.

kain30

Cipher
Fallout 1 for rpgs
Carmaggedon for action games
Monkey island 3 for adventure games
Doom 2 and duke nukem 3d for fps

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Stealth games: Thief 1-3, Splinter Cell 1-3.

RPGs: Fallout 1, Fallout New Vegas, Arcanum, Divinity Original Sin 2, Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines 1.

Immersive Sims: Deus Ex 1, Dark Messiah, Dishonored 1-2, Prey 2017, Breath of the wild, Divinity Original Sin 2.

Tactical shooter: SWAT 4.

RTS: Age of Mythology.

RTT: Robin Hood The legend of Sherwood, Desperados 1-2, Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, Chicago 1930, Commandos 2.

General action games: Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Dark Souls 1, 2, 3 + DLCs, Sekiro.

Racing: Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005)

Soon to try: Monster Hunter World, Warhammer 2 (tried it before but had a bug with not opening the window to see the detailed info about units and it also crashed often but now I think I found a fix on some forum so I'm going to try again because I really like the races and factions of that game).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom