Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's such a weird balance decision since it's not like shotguns were really that great. Their AP was frankly too high compared to all the other hilarious options

Ent

Savant
Has anyone been experimenting with Machete builds? I've maxed out the flurry specialty and now I'm wondering if I should dump the rest of them into onslaught or critical power.

hell bovine

Arcane
Shotguns seem to exist solely so Styg can nerf them into the ground and punish all the people who wanted them.
Shotguns not triggering ambush is not much of a nerf, because they are close range guns and not well suited for setting up ambushes. For optimal damage you want to be practically 'in your face', so that majoriy of pelets hit. On an unoptimized build I was getting hundreds of damage per shot, due to the stacking of damage per pellet (perfect scattering, sixth shell).

Parabalus

Arcane
Has anyone been experimenting with Machete builds? I've maxed out the flurry specialty and now I'm wondering if I should dump the rest of them into onslaught or critical power.

If you're using the katana CP is somewhat better, otherwise onslaught.

I'd also take the flurry CD reduction, especially if you have TM.

Some comments from a DOM run:

• Parry and Riposte are bad, especially if you don't plan on killing the pirate captain. They're quite cool, but are more of a for fun pick.
  • If you don't have 7 STR (Decapitate) no reason to go to 6 instead of 5. (Opens up Uncanny)
  • TM is especially OP good for machetes because of how flurry works
  • Weaponsmith isn't too hot because of the katana

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
i just can't like this.
fourth time i force myself through this, i can suffer the interface, the horrible controls, the horrifying graphics, but not the feel of always, constantly being underleveled, pit against multiple large threats, forced to kite and exploit maps and pathfinding, moving one excruciatingly slow step after excruciatingly slow step in fear of bumping into a wandering mob who'll pull the whole train. never quickloaded so much. this is not fun.

What the hell are you talking about? I might only be some 10 hours into the game but so far I find the interface easy to understand and the general difficulty low (on normal).

As for the graphics I guess that is subjective but I don't think they are worse than for example f1-2.

The quicksaving/quickloading is a bit annoying though.

Parabalus

Arcane
So, I've heard that this game is a sort of a spiritual succesor to Fallout, and it seems the main gameplay is focused on combat and exploration. The thing is, the quests and their choices & consequences are the main reason why I loved the first Fallout games. Are there plenty amount of those in Underrail, or should I just play other games?

Other games, UR has C&C but it's secondary. Mostly you have multiple ways to solve stuff in a good way, and the "&C" is missing out on content because of a bad solution.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
  • If you don't have 7 STR (Decapitate) no reason to go to 6 instead of 5. (Opens up Uncanny)
Thanks for the notes, though I kept 6 strength for the Tungsten machete. Is it not worth it?

Parabalus

Arcane
Thanks for the notes, though I kept 6 strength for the Tungsten machete. Is it not worth it?

After getting the katana the only reason I used my Tungsten machete (I had 7 STR for Decapitate) was when I wanted electroshock.

To clarify, curved tungsten is the best crafted machete type, but the katana is better, and if you have 6 I'd get 7 for Decapitate which is very cool (though bad).

6 is kinda middle-of-the-road, the extremes are more exciting.

Note that if you actually use consumables there's not reason to think about >5 really, but taking that into account is too annoying for my taste.

hell bovine

Arcane
So, I've heard that this game is a sort of a spiritual succesor to Fallout, and it seems the main gameplay is focused on combat and exploration. The thing is, the quests and their choices & consequences are the main reason why I loved the first Fallout games. Are there plenty amount of those in Underrail, or should I just play other games?
C&C not so much, though you do get the ending slides a la Fallaout, explaining what happened with the communities and towns that you've visited, depending on how you've resolved their quests.

I like UR for the exploration factor. But take it with a grain of salt, because I'm the sort of player who managed to miss the master when sneaking through the cathedral in FO. Snuck down all the way to basement and clicked on a random computer, which bleated some warning about a nuclear explosion, so my character run like hell. And then I've spent the rest of the game trying to find the mysterious mutant leader. :lol:

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I'm currently doing a machete + dodge/evasion build and it's pretty fun. I rely on high crit chance (currently at 27) so critical power is a must. I'm only level 18, but I plan to maximize flurry so that I can have more chances to trigger a critical hit. I have onslaught, but I don't find it very useful. The katana you will find only after doing the expansion, but I'm running now with a crafted tungsten straight machete and it's very deadly. I don't have Weaponsmith yet, but with it, at level 26, I should have a crit chance of 36% without food.

Because of the way dodge/evasion works, using grenades & traps is a must to even chances when fighting against multiple opponents. I don't have any point in stealth because I get some bonus to it from the equipment.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Onslaught for a crit focused machete build sounds terrible. If you doing it right shit should be dying in one-two hits, maybe a bit more. That doesn’t really give you time to build up those stacks, critical power boosts your crit bonus to ridiculous levels and specialization doubles its effects (unless some recent patch changed something) and is therefore much more synergistic with a crit build.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
dddd.png

Tchort guide me.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Onslaught for a crit focused machete build sounds terrible. If you doing it right shit should be dying in one-two hits, maybe a bit more. That doesn’t really give you time to build up those stacks, critical power boosts your crit bonus to ridiculous levels and specialization doubles its effects (unless some recent patch changed something) and is therefore much more synergistic with a crit build.

I agree with you. I just added it because it increases damage with swords and there aren't many to choose from for swords.

Parabalus

Arcane

I agree with you. I just added it because it increases damage with swords and there aren't many to choose from for swords.

The two damage increases are multiplicative, ie. (base damage * onslaught) * crit mod.

This makes onslaught spec much better than you assume, CP spec is really only better with the katana.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Blaine what is highest mercantile check in expedition? Only interested in merchants. I understand its 105 in base game

I have no idea what the thresholds are. My build has 105 Mercantile only by coincidence; I didn't stop there because of any meta knowledge.

All I can tell you for certain is this: The Mercantile check to get the cheapest jet ski prices at Ray's is higher than 105, and I suspect a lot higher, maybe in the neighborhood of 140 +/- 10. However, 105 is enough to get the first discount, which is good enough for me and so probably good enough for just about anyone, since most people won't be buying his entire stock.

105 also seems to be high enough to get the full expanded inventories of Ladelman and Marcus, and also Ferryman's Oddities (though that may not be a Mercantile check at all, can't remember). If I'm missing some hidden inventory options with Ferryman and the mutie colony, I'm unaware of it. The pirates are my enemies in my current game.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
105 also seems to be high enough to get the full expanded inventories of Ladelman and Marcus, and also Ferryman's Oddities (though that may not be a Mercantile check at all, can't remember
I remember that I wasn't investing in Mercantile at all and still managed to buy oddity from Ferryman. I don't think that these oddities connected to Mercantile.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I have a question.

As I am beginning to meet more and more invincible enemies (like the ghost that leaves Magnar's corpse) I decided to search for the Ethereal Toarch.

From what I understand, I need to get it from Azif.

But I will only meet Azif if I do Jack Quicksilver's quests.
But I will only be able to do Jack's quests if I did the quests for Abram in Junkyard.

The thing is, I backstabbed Abram there and turned in his little operation to the Protectorate. Is there another way to get the ethereal toarch?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Speaking of the Ethereal Torch, add magic wands to the list.

Fenix taviow I certainly agree that psi powers in Underrail are well themed and that they feel appropriately sci-fi-y and cyberpunk-y.

That being said, there are wizard staves now in addition to blue mana potions, enchanted circlets, and magic scrolls (beg pardon, "psionic mentors"). I'm afraid it's no longer possible to live in denial.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
iirc the willpower check was not difficult, my guns character I just blindly clicked through dialogue and got it

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom