Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Video game retailer GameStop is dying

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I feel bad for all the people who will lose their jobs, but from what I understand GameStop has been in death throes for years already. Nothing they did has worked.

Brocken Jr.

Arcane
I like them only in the sense that they are only the store in existence where you can still buy boxed PC Games. 9 times out of 10, those boxed games will come with just a card inside with a code on it you type into steam, but it's still that last vestige of a dying notion. I haven't bought anything from Gamestop in years, but I have many fond memories of games I'd find in their bargain bin when I had no money in highschool. I'd know nothing about the games other than what the box said, so it was always exciting. That's how I first played Daggerfall, and myriad Sierra adventure games. Gamestop bargain bin.

Office Depot is better for this than Gamestop. Not kidding.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Office Depot is better for this than Gamestop. Not kidding.

Office Depot is weird. It's like being transported back to the 1990s. I was there a couple years ago and they were selling decade old video cards at retail price. No idea how they stay in business. I assume they have negotiated contracts with businesses to sell supplies.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Most brick and mortars are garbage for games now. Even when I quit Wal-mart back in '04 our PC game section was down to one row of games, most of which were crappy hunting games or typical over the counter stuff like Call of Duty or Battlefield. And the last time I went to a mall where a Gamestop was I had to pass under police crime tape to get through the entrance door.

I don't know many people who wanna get mugged or shot on the way to pick up NBA Jam 2020k elite edition for Xbox - even fewer who wanna play it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Gamestop has been worthless as a place to get PC games for almost the last decade or so. I think the last PC game I bought in Gamestop was New Vegas, and even back then I could only install half the game off of the DVD before having to download the rest off of Steam. I would still go there semi-frequently to check out their used PS2, Gamecube, PS3/360 section, but once they got rid of the used PS2 games sometime in the last few years I no longer had any reason to go back.

gamestop and their criminal practices deserve and need to die. buying used mint games for dimes and reselling them as new, buying used games in horrible conditions and reselling them as new, stealing codes and free dlcs from boxes and reselling them stand alone, generally not giving a fuck for customers and casually forgetting to give the bad news/explanations only when it'd be too late to say "dude, fuck you" (but i did nonetheless)...
their dying is a service to humanity, done to them by themselves and only themselves alone.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Gamestop can burn to the ground. Back when I actually did buy console games, fucking WALMART had a deeper selection of both new releases and older games. I can't count the number of times I went into a Gamestop to get a game on release day, and they had zero copies (YOU SHOULDA PREORDERED BRO) or just one filthy, AIDS encrusted "display copy" they were trying to sell at full price (ITS THE SAME AS A SEALED COPY BRO). No, how about I walk across the street to WALMART and just get an actual sealed copy for the same price or less BRO.

I distinctly remember the first and only time I walked into a Gamestop in 2001 or so to buy a PS2 and some games, and some fucking BRO clerk was trying like crazy to get me to buy a used dinged up copy of whatever game it was for like $2 less compared to a sealed copy. Even after repeatedly telling him no, he still repeated the same shit ad nauseam - after I had paid even - until I left the store, never to return.

Good riddance.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm excited for their death but also cognizant of the consumer rights people are losing along with it. Conflicting emotions.

Terrible news, Retail is the reason we get cheap games and codes for consoles.

Isn't it like they KNEW physical distribution will ultimately die in next-gen even on consoles? I've have an urge to become gaming cavemen, buying some cheap NES/SNES counterfeit console and start to collecting something REAL like cartridges, which has moar appeal than soulless CDs/DVDs/BRs.

Isn't it like they KNEW physical distribution will ultimately die in next-gen even on consoles? I've have an urge to become gaming cavemen, buying some cheap NES/SNES counterfeit console and start to collecting something REAL like cartridges, which has moar appeal than soulless CDs/DVDs/BRs.
There was a time when collecting old NES/SNES games was pretty cheap, but that was long ago. Now you'll get fleeced for everything, including mass-produced games that are not rare at all, unless you can get lucky at thrift stores/garage sales/etc. There is way too much demand for this kind of thing now.

I've long since made my peace with emulation.

There was a time when collecting old NES/SNES games was pretty cheap, but that was long ago. Now you'll get fleeced for everything, including mass-produced games that are not rare at all, unless you can get lucky at thrift stores/garage sales/etc. There is way too much demand for this kind of thing now.

In Poland there are still hundred or thousand of yellow Famicom carts to be bought plus there are tons or weird SNES repros on Aliexpress. But yeah, nowadays everything that was thrash not so long ago is a valuable item, beyond gaems people are beating shit out of each other for broken 3DFX cards or rusted Amiga parts. There are still some dirty cheap niches though (like 3DO or Atari 7800 stuff), it's the last moment to jump on bandwagon before e-bay vultures discover them.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

I think the PS5 will have a disc drive, but I worry that the Pro/mid cycle refresh will do away with it.

kain30

Cipher
Last time i bought a game from gamestop the conversation went like this with the clerk (it was on a shopping mall on a little city at the south of Spain).
Me: Hi! I'd like to buy world of warcraft the burning crusade.

Clerk: which wow is that one? ( A college points to it on the shelves)

C: (screaming out of her lungs) antonio!! Bring me one of the green wow games!!

M:.... Thanks....

Why the hell they don't hire people that know about videogames??

SerratedBiz

Arcane
I've never had the problem of getting clerks who don't know what they're doing, or annoying ones or anything like that.

My problem with GameStop is the same that others have mentioned, which is that the trade-in / used game values are retarded. I actually dug up my PS2 and PS3 to trade them in some years ago and, when I heard what they were actually giving me for them, I just said thanks and sold them on eBay for significantly more instead.

Likewise, buying a used copy of a game - in a generic box, without the original contents and all - is so expensive. I can definitely get a better deal out of waiting for a sale online. They should be in the business of getting people to come into their shop, browse, socialize, buy merchandise (I don't get the fucking Panko craze but fuck it, sell away), but instead they maximize profits out of this and make it less likely I'll ever visit again in the future.

If you have a short-sighted business strategy, don't complain when you get bumfucked later on.

Garbage

Learned

I think the PS5 will have a disc drive, but I worry that the Pro/mid cycle refresh will do away with it.

The day consoles refuse to accept discs is the day I give up on modern gaming outright.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last time i bought a game from gamestop the conversation went like this with the clerk (it was on a shopping mall on a little city at the south of Spain).

My biggest concern here is you buying a WoW game!! :o

The day consoles refuse to accept discs is the day I give up on modern gaming outright.

You haven't by now....? :?

Delterius

Arcane

people who know about videogames aren't employable

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Sorry, but I just can't watch these videos of these effete butthurt drama queen basement-children rambling on for 30 minutes about their extreme GameStop butthurt even if they make pithy points. GameStop? Never even stepped inside one... ever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom