Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Online private server (Return of Reckoning)

GreyViper

Prophet
How is the private server? It used to be alpha level build, so as a fan of original, is there any point to invest time into this?

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'm 22 lvl now with 18 RP, and find it quite fun. Especially PVP. I didn't face any major problems yet. RVR and Scenarios are working well, skills and talents as well.
I was trying to find any info regarding the currently missing features, but didn't succeed. I believe some RVR battlefields are missing.

Though I see few major cons in the original game itself: the lack of open world mechanic and levels equalising in RVR and Scenarios. Why even do that? Not to harass newbs? Ah the conformism.

GreyViper

Prophet
Thanks, ill give it a try, Classic Wow just does not have the charm since I played it when it came out. WHO on the other hand left me quite a lot of fond memories. Like when we managed to win the siege of Altdorf and enter one of the PVE raids that opened up then. I was lucky to win a golden sack and got the orange 1H sword I have seen in many Chaos illustrations. I think that was as close as PVE raiding as I ever did come to in that game, world PVP 4TW.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Been playing on this private server for a week now. Found a nice guild and have been enjoying some of the balance changes they devs have introduced to the game. I'm playing a Magus, currently rank 26. They used to be notoriously shitty. Now I consistently top DPS and DB scores in scenarios. It feels good that this class is playable now. There's a double XP weekend event going on atm (extended until march 15th) so you'll get into the game pretty fast if you decide to jump in now. It's pretty active, there were 3000 players online today at one point.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Been playing on this private server for a week now. Found a nice guild and have been enjoying some of the balance changes they devs have introduced to the game. I'm playing a Magus, currently rank 26. They used to be notoriously shitty. Now I consistently top DPS and DB scores in scenarios. It feels good that this class is playable now. There's a double XP weekend event going on atm (extended until march 15th) so you'll get into the game pretty fast if you decide to jump in now. It's pretty active, there were 3000 players online today at one point.
Looks like I gave this thing a try at some point (but not long, as I recall). I'll be damned if I can find the actual installation I made, though.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

I'd like to give is a try but stuck on what to play.Back then on normal servers played the shit out of Ironbreaker and engineer and had lots of fun. Going to choose from Marauder, chosen or SH .

Ninjerk

Just download it from their site. Really small torrent download,after that a bit of patching.

Ninjerk

Arcane

I'd like to give is a try but stuck on what to play.Back then on normal servers played the shit out of Ironbreaker and engineer and had lots of fun. Going to choose from Marauder, chosen or SH .

Ninjerk

Just download it from their site. Really small torrent download,after that a bit of patching.
I'm trying to work it out right now.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I played ROR briefly, but I had to drop it. Looking to jump back in, but similar to Cyberarmy, I can’t decide on what to play.

I am torn between Blackguard and DOK. I am also curious on the difference between Magus and Sorceress in terms of role. Both seem to be AOE machines.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I played ROR briefly, but I had to drop it. Looking to jump back in, but similar to Cyberarmy, I can’t decide on what to play.

I am torn between Blackguard and DOK. I am also curious on the difference between Magus and Sorceress in terms of role. Both seem to be AOE machines.
I'm playing a Havoc Magus. They have the best single target burst DPS out of all the classes. For RvR going Change is probably better (AoE DoT focus, less stationary-turrety), but I'm having a lot of fun throwing big dick crits at enemies. In Scenarios I either snipe Engies, Bright Wizards, Shadow Warriors or harass their healers. Even if I don't kill anyone the damage I do is so large that it puts a lot of pressure on healers to focus on healing my target, which means that my team mates can kill other players who aren't getting healed. Sorceress is a bit more focused on bursty AoE dps iirc. They are quite squishy too. Magus can be pretty tanky if you want it to be. Just remember to stack up some Toughness along with Int. Or if you are feeling really cheeky just go all in on Toughness and use the Blue Horror pet which increases your Dodge and Disruption by 30%. Laugh at the enemies as they try to kill you while you slap them with your tentacles. Magus is quite flexible and the fact that it works now helps a lot.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Most important thing to do is to find a decent guild asap. It'll increase your enjoyment when you can organize your PvP. They'll also help you and answer all your questions.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron

I'm playing a Havoc Magus. They have the best single target burst DPS out of all the classes. For RvR going Change is probably better (AoE DoT focus, less stationary-turrety), but I'm having a lot of fun throwing big dick crits at enemies. In Scenarios I either snipe Engies, Bright Wizards, Shadow Warriors or harass their healers. Even if I don't kill anyone the damage I do is so large that it puts a lot of pressure on healers to focus on healing my target, which means that my team mates can kill other players who aren't getting healed. Sorceress is a bit more focused on bursty AoE dps iirc. They are quite squishy too. Magus can be pretty tanky if you want it to be. Just remember to stack up some Toughness along with Int. Or if you are feeling really cheeky just go all in on Toughness and use the Blue Horror pet which increases your Dodge and Disruption by 30%. Laugh at the enemies as they try to kill you while you slap them with your tentacles. Magus is quite flexible and the fact that it works now helps a lot.

Well, you sold me them Magus. Played a bit today, damn really missed this RvR/ PvP stuff.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So, this was a fun ride till this weekend.

I cannot play sieges, always getting CTDs. Longest time I could play was 5 min...
Had the same issue as you did and this is a common problem with large scale open RvR with an easy fix. From your launcher open up the options menu on the top right corner and make sure that your Client Version is set to 64 Bit. All my crashes ended when I did this.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
So, this was a fun ride till this weekend.

I cannot play sieges, always getting CTDs. Longest time I could play was 5 min...
Had the same issue as you did and this is a common problem with large scale open RvR with an easy fix. From your launcher open up the options menu on the top right corner and make sure that your Client Version is set to 64 Bit. All my crashes ended when I did this.

Tried this but no cigar still. Tried everything I found on net but still get kicked out :/

Been knocking about on RoR for a month or so now. It's really enjoyable but could've been much improved if someone somewhere didn't insist on the standard 2 faction MMO boilerplate. Something similar to DAoC would be ideal with multiple factions vying for their own interests within the open world PvP. The game is still fun though and I thoroughly enjoy being an Orc Chopah cutting through da humiez.

multiple factions is a risk and can't be done anymore. it could be attempted at daoc's times because other than daoc there was barely anything else. today, with such a wide offer, multiple factions would mean spreading your playerbase too thin, and also running the risk of watching all your players clogging the collest/best made out, leaving them with no opponents. and then a year or two later comes the update with the long awaited mixed pvp and everyone is unhappy.

multiple factions is a risk and can't be done anymore. it could be attempted at daoc's times because other than daoc there was barely anything else. today, with such a wide offer, multiple factions would mean spreading your playerbase too thin, and also running the risk of watching all your players clogging the collest/best made out, leaving them with no opponents. and then a year or two later comes the update with the long awaited mixed pvp and everyone is unhappy.
Explain the success of ESO's Cyrodil then. It was designed by one of the people behind DAoC and is doing very well.

"the distinct gentleman" effect. the same reason an extremely average (at best) mmo like warcraft became the most played.
also fanboyism.

also: success? you mean they raised their number of players from 10 to 14?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've been very casually playing a BG. I really enjoy reading the little blurbs in the Tome of Knowledge. Damn shame WoW managed to convince people their acheivement system was worth not checking this game out.

ADL

Prophet
"the distinct gentleman" effect. the same reason an extremely average (at best) mmo like warcraft became the most played.
also fanboyism.

also: success? you mean they raised their number of players from 10 to 14?
If you left your echo chamber for five minutes, you'd realize Elder Scrolls Online is the second most popular MMO with 2.5 million monthly active users as of 2018. Distributed evenly between consoles and PC but still, that's a lot of people.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Randomly popped on in Dark Elf Chapter 7 and managed to snag myself the greaves from the Havoc set. PQs are legit rewarding (even if a 40 squig herder blasted the quest down for me to get them :P). Having legitimately good low-level sets is pretty cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom