Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you have a supreme game that almost everything you play you compare it to?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
MGS5 is the new king of AI in action games. Also MGS3 had some great AI as well.
MGS V's AI isn't granular and doesn't pay attention to small details because MGS V is a open world game that doesn't have small details. I think the AI is pretty basic and easy to play around, and their extremely limited sight and hearing also makes it boring.

The hearing and sight range is just a value you can turn up. You should've played the game with the Hardcore Mod like I keep telling.
As for AI is not basic at all considering the amount of ways they respond to the player's input.
But if AI should be about small details then you would really like MGS3 since in that game, enemy patrols can even spot Snake's footprints. Also BotW is also pretty good at those small details.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
In Splinter Cell Chaos Theory the NPCs notice things like hacked keypads, broken locks, opened doors etc.
Also in Thief Deadly Shadows, enemies notice opened doors, containers, missing loot etc.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You should've played the game with the Hardcore Mod like I keep telling.
"Mods will fix it" is a shit tier defence.
But if AI should be about small details then you would really like MGS3 since in that game, enemy patrols can even spot Snake's footprints.
Details is one thing, the AI being ruthless and lethal is another. SCCT has both, but MGS AI is generally pretty piss weak from my experience.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
You should've played the game with the Hardcore Mod like I keep telling.
"Mods will fix it" is a shit tier defence.

Still if you went to the trouble of getting the game you should tried out in it's best possible version.
And the only thing that mod is basically just increasing values you can change in the game's files.

But if AI should be about small details then you would really like MGS3 since in that game, enemy patrols can even spot Snake's footprints.
Details is one thing, the AI being ruthless and lethal is another. SCCT has both, but MGS AI is generally pretty piss weak from my experience.

You're experience with the series isn't that good it seems. Because AI has been one thing the MGS games have always excelled at, even the worst ones.
MGSV enemies are specially effiecient in hunting down the player as they act as organised units.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
You're experience with the series isn't that good it seems. Because AI has been one thing the MGS games have always excelled at, even the worst ones.
Maybe so, I've only completed MGS V and played through MGS 3 and Peace Walker demos a couple of times. I have never been too big on console games because I've mostly never had access to them.
MGSV enemies are specially effiecient in hunting down the player as they act as organised units.
Maybe that's the case but fuck if I know because MGS V AI was so god damn easy to play around and never get detected by because of how blind and deaf they were and how overpowered all of your weapons and utility items got down the line. You never really have to think on the fly or stay on top of your toes because AI rarely puts forth any type of challenge to begin with.
Mods will fix it is still a shit excuse I won't accept.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Maybe so, I've only completed MGS V and played through MGS 3 and Peace Walker demos a couple of times. I have never been too big on console games because I've mostly never had access to them.

Play MGS3 Subsistence. The game is short but highly replayable. If don't like the fact that the PS2 version doesn't allow couch walking, then download the 3DS version.

Maybe that's the case but fuck if I know because MGS V AI was so god damn easy to play around and never get detected by because of how blind and deaf they were and how overpowered all of your weapons and utility items got down the line. You never really have to think on the fly or stay on top of your toes because AI rarely puts forth any type of challenge to begin with.
Mods will fix it is still a shit excuse I won't accept.

Again the problem is not the AI, but rather the values to the enemies hearing and sight fields (plus the PC high HP).
The vanilla game's guards detection range is about 15-20 meters and the suspicion range (meaning they can see you but can't identetify you) is around the 25 meter mark.

I also gave up on the game after the first 2 weeks because of shit like that, but then I found a modding forum for MGS made a Hardcore Mod request - and that's how that shit came to be. After that I played MGS5 to death because of just how freaking good the gameplay is.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
MGS V might have okay AI, but all of it goes to waste because:

a. If what you say is true, they made it piss easy.
b. MGS V gives you a bunch of overpowered toys that makes the game easy anyway, no matter how easy or hard the AI itself might be.
c. MGS V has really shitty level design because they just HAD to make it open world, and that AI has nothing to really play around or with.

MGS V feels like a mess, like it's trying to ape bad ideas from other developers and just falling from stepping on their own shoelaces repeatedly. MGS V is an alright game, it's okay, it might even be considered good and fun, but it still feels like a cheap and cluttered Ubisoft-esque mess. They took the worst possible influence with the game, and I hate it. It's just wasted potential that could have been greatness instead of just fine or mediocre.

SCCT is a very tight experience because it was designed to near perfection from the ground up and they had multiple games to polish the experience and ideas. SCCT is a game is full of minute detail that came from actual love, not just "forcing" passion like modern Rockstar games do from simply having a higher budget with more manpower than anyone else. SCCT was a game that still had a deadline to adhere to unlike Kojima (until Konami finally told him to finish the fucking game instead of fucking autistic Dutch models and watching shitty movies.)

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
No. My criteria is a bit too wide to have a game that compass all of it. Or half of it. Or quarter of it.

Each game that I like and return to it is most likely unique in the criteria I assigned to it.

Any guy that has a suppreme game like OP say should be autist, as he only like one thing (or one model of things) only in game~
Yeah this thread is stupid. Let games be unique, comparison only leads to disappointment.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
That's a fucking weird take. I try to judge a game by it's own merits to a certain degree, but are you telling me that you don't compare a game to it's sequel? One RTS to another? You just wipe the slate clean from your experience with the genre? That's just not realistic. Humans find patterns

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
SCCT is a game is full of minute detail that came from actual love, not just "forcing" passion like modern Rockstar games do from simply having a higher budget with more manpower than anyone else. SCCT was a game that still had a deadline to adhere to unlike Kojima

Then again, you should try MGS3 because in that game Kojima had a deadline, and it's also filled with details.

Falksi

Arcane
Action RPG - Deus Ex

Open World - Morrowind

JRPG - Final Fantasy X

Turn Based RPG - Shadowrun Dragonfall

Turn Based Stratergy - X-Com

Platform - Super Mario World

Bullet Hell - Smash TV

Scrolling Beat 'em Up - Streets of Rage 2

3-D Beat 'em Up - The Warriors

Stratergy RPG - Dragon Age:Origins

Run & Gun - Contra 3

Side Scrolling Shoot Em Up - Thunderforce 3

Stealth: MGS PS1

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Let's see:

Platformer: Super Mario Bros 3

Shooter: Battlefield: Bad Company

Fighting: Dead or Alive 4

Beat 'em Up: TMNT - Turtles in Time

Racing: NFS - Most Wanted

Sports: Football Manager

Stealth: Hitman: Codename 47

Survival Horror: Resident Evil

Open World RPG: TES III - Morrowind

JRPG: Suikoden 1 & 2

CRPG: Fallout 1 & 2

MMO: Ultima Online

Roguelike: Cataclysm DDA

Sim: Gangsters - Organised Crime

Strategy (TB): Age of Wonders

Strategy (RT): Warcraft 2

Strategy (Grand): CK2

That's all I have for now.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
aa68b71194883d5eb22b81e30babd5bbo.png

Child of Malkav

Erudite
If a game is part of a series, I compare it to the others in that series, there's no way it doesn't happen.
Other games are judged on their own.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'll be booting up and dabbling in X-Com probably until I die. Outside of interface, I compare it to many games.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
System Shock 2 - does it make me crap my pants

Doom - is it fun to shoot things

Silent Hunter 3 - did I just press the wrong key and fuck my game. Holy shit I'm really in control of this submarine.

Morrowind - is it cool just to walk around and find hidden tombs and do general loot gaming

Mortal Kombat (original or trilogy) - did they add so many keys to the combos that it's no longer fun to whip someone's ass

AGEOD's American Civil War II - refined strategy gaming that works, and gives me the chance to feel like a military genius just long enough to wreck a campaign and lose a war

Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - When Japan did gaming right, something fun and simple enough to endlessly enjoy nostalgia without the hangover

Mutant League Football - not much into sports games, but if you're gonna go sports, why not do it with zombies and orcs?

Operation Flashpoint - because if you wanna combine 10 different game options in one game, it better be like this - well, sorta.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom