Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legends of Amberland - oldschool open world blobber

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
next version (1.13)
:shredder:

Please remember that scientists have already proven that believing in a special power of number 13 is an unscientific superstition that can result in bad luck! :D

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Why not a bit of both, slightly increased damage (not too much so monsters don't os everyone) and a bit more HP too.
I mean compared to the current state (which is a bit of HP and a huge damage boost). I want to change it to much higher HP than on Normal and slightly highjer damage (so reversed).

Vrab

Learned
I want to change it to much higher HP than on Normal and slightly highjer damage (so reversed).

Sounds great!

Btw have you thought of tweaking some particular types of enemies? I remember the casters - blue coloured sorcerer apprentices and similar - being quite weak and doing very little damage compared to other oposition. Fire casters were ok, resists felt very useful against them, but the blue ones were mostly harmless even at insane difficulty. I get they are met early on so requiring whole party to have elemental resists would be asking too much, but they hardly did any dmg at all.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Sounds great!

Btw have you thought of tweaking some particular types of enemies? I remember the casters - blue coloured sorcerer apprentices and similar - being quite weak and doing very little damage compared to other oposition. Fire casters were ok, resists felt very useful against them, but the blue ones were mostly harmless even at insane difficulty. I get they are met early on so requiring whole party to have elemental resists would be asking too much, but they hardly did any dmg at all.
Yeah, I plan v1.13 be primarily about rebalance. So, post (here, on Discord, on Steam, wherever) your rebalance recommendations.

BTW, here is our small Discord server: https://discord.gg/Xs6x7qj (but please keep the language family friendly) I try to check in the on a regular basis.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Was this game an inspiration by any chance? Or was it the other way around?

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Was this game an inspiration by any chance? Or was it the other way around?
Never heard about that one. Also I started working on the code for Amberland (it was a different game back then) around 2014 I think (or was it 2012?), far before 2019.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I left some feedback on the Steam forums about an issue, but I'm going to post it here too. No idea if any of this stuff is already in this thread or not.

Whenever I'm in combat, I can clearly see all the damage being done by my characters to the enemy, UNLESS that character goes before an enemy. If they go right before the enemy, their damage doesn't show (it flashes on screen faster than you can register it); and instead you see the enemy attacking. There should be a delay between seeing that damage and the enemy attacking so that the player can register how much damage they've done or whether they even hit. During the first combat that I noticed it, I thought one of my characters wasn't even hitting, due to no damage showing on screen.

Also, playing the game in 4:3 versus 16:9 seems to be a better experience, since it keeps everything from being stretched out horizontally. I saw that you mentioned you were going to do something about that. Are you going to give the option to display a 4:3 aspect playfield while using a 16:9 ratio for the whole screen? I ask; because the buttons are laid out much nicer in 16:9, but the view is better in 4:3. A marriage between the two would make for the perfect layout.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
I left some feedback on the Steam forums about an issue, but I'm going to post it here too. No idea if any of this stuff is already in this thread or not.

Whenever I'm in combat, I can clearly see all the damage being done by my characters to the enemy, UNLESS that character goes before an enemy. If they go right before the enemy, their damage doesn't show (it flashes on screen faster than you can register it); and instead you see the enemy attacking. There should be a delay between seeing that damage and the enemy attacking so that the player can register how much damage they've done or whether they even hit. During the first combat that I noticed it, I thought one of my characters wasn't even hitting, due to no damage showing on screen.
Now, that is a good feedback :D OK, now I get it and I will look into it.

Also, playing the game in 4:3 versus 16:9 seems to be a better experience, since it keeps everything from being stretched out horizontally. I saw that you mentioned you were going to do something about that. Are you going to give the option to display a 4:3 aspect playfield while using a 16:9 ratio for the whole screen? I ask; because the buttons are laid out much nicer in 16:9, but the view is better in 4:3. A marriage between the two would make for the perfect layout.
You know, let's go back to this after v1.13 release since I have made a lot of changes to the perspective (it simply works different than in v1.12).

If additional tweaks are needed I will consider making an option to alter it (if feasible, etc, no promises).

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I'm excited to see how you handled the perspective. It might actually resolve the issue anyway. In the meantime, I'll just play in 4:3.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Also noticed that the Royal Wizard says:
"I undergo a further study and discovered something even more disturbing."

I'm not sure of the intention, but the tense seems wrong. I think it probably should have been:
"I underwent a further study and discovered something even more disturbing."

I could be wrong, though.

V_K

Arcane
I don't know the context, but the verb itself seems wrong here. "Undergo" means "be subjected to", so if the Royal Wizard "underwent further study" he could only have discovered that something disturbing was with himself - that he had cancer or something.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Might be better as “I engaged in a further study,” or even something as simple as “Upon further study, I discovered something even more disturbing.”

Dorateen

Arcane
So bloody close...

5BcCGdm.jpg

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer

I will be releasing v1.13 somewhere today, it *should* have it fixed, but please recheck and post if it works.

Also altered the perspective (v1.13), should look much nicer.

All is well. We slayed the Black Dragon and saved the Kingdom.

LordArchibald
Thank you for making Legends of Amberland. According to steam, I logged in around 40 hours for this playthrough. I hope you will continue to build upon your creation.
Glad you like it :) It's sooo much nicer to make games when there are fans who enjoy and appreciate it :)
Yup, definitelly I will try to make something with this franchise (like LoA II and so on).

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Also noticed that the Royal Wizard says:
"I undergo a further study and discovered something even more disturbing."

I'm not sure of the intention, but the tense seems wrong. I think it probably should have been:
"I underwent a further study and discovered something even more disturbing."

I could be wrong, though.
Improved in v1.13. Thx!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.silverlemurgames.com/2019/09/10/legends-of-amberland-version-1-13/

Legends of Amberland version 1.13

Version 1.13 released

This version focused on spells balance adjustments and improving 3D perspective (by popular request “make it look more like in those old games” and making it look better on odd resolutions). In addition the first linguistic QA was completed, it’s a bit rough but like 95% of spelling mistakes should be dealt with in this version.

– [balance] Power Heal / Mass Power Heal higher efficiency and lower cost.
– [balance] Offensive spells adjusted, especially the high level ones which got cheaper.
– [balance] Rebalanced target all enemies vs single target spells.
– [balance] Cold spells rebalanced (overall those have now a bigger range of damage but slightly higher average damage than fire spells).

– [misc] 3D perspective greatly improved. Now it looks more like in the old games and overall feels more natural.
– [misc] Minimum screen resolution changed to 1280×720 (so, one more screen resolution supported).
– [misc] Spell check (all text files), first QA pass completed.

– [fix] End screen was showing an incorrect years passed count.
– [fix] In some cases the monsters damage marker disappearing too fast.

LoA_screenshot_v1.13.0.png

Vrab

Learned
Has 1.13 introduced the difficulty level rebalance or is that still coming? No mention in patch notes.

Chris Koźmik

Silver Lemur Games
Developer
Has 1.13 introduced the difficulty level rebalance or is that still coming? No mention in patch notes.
It introduced common difficulty rebalance (spell vs spell rebalance, etc). I suppose you meant the Hard/Insane difficulty balance we were talking here previously? If so, then no, not yet. I needed to brood about it for a while longer (like what if it turns out to be too hard/too easy now and/or what if people who already play at those difficulties want to keep it the way it is, and thoughts like that :D).

Vrab

Learned
I suppose you meant the Hard/Insane difficulty balance we were talking here previously?

Right, that's what I meant.

Is it feasible to have a custom difficulty? As in, player can chose the leveling speed, monster hp, monster damage etc separately? This way you could have easy/normal/hard/insane as they are now or changed in some way you as the dev would be happy with and then extra custom difficulty that allows players to do some fine tuning.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom