Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A windy story game

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
Those are 2D sprites? What software did you use to draw them? Or did you draw them on paper and scan them? Are you going to animate them?
yeah I draw super light, then commit some hard lines, then scan and trace it by mouse in photoshop

gg.png
s0.png
n0.png

jewboy

Arbiter
You are a much better artist than I am, and it isn't like I haven't tried. I read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and took an Intro to Drawing course at uni but I find it almost impossible to make line drawings like you have here. The Minatour, Ghoul, and Mage are particularly good for 'programmer art'. I think there are much better learning materials nowadays though, and I want to spend some time trying yet again to art. Are you at all intimidated by having to show those creatures from different perspectives to animate them? Seems particularly challenging because obviously they have to look like the same creature just viewed from a different angle. Yet another reason why 3D character modeling is so much easier for non-artists.

Otay

Developer
You are a much better artist than I am, and it isn't like I haven't tried. I read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and took an Intro to Drawing course at uni but I find it almost impossible to make line drawings like you have here. The Minatour, Ghoul, and Mage are particularly good for 'programmer art'. I think there are much better learning materials nowadays though, and I want to spend some time trying yet again to art. Are you at all intimidated by having to show those creatures from different perspectives to animate them? Seems particularly challenging because obviously they have to look like the same creature just viewed from a different angle. Yet another reason why 3D character modeling is so much easier for non-artists.
yeah all my sprites are static like youre playing dragon warrior monsters.

in terms of difficulty, static sprites are definitely easier than 3d models, because 3d characters need both 3d modeling and rigging / animating of their bones.

its way out of scope for me to care too much about my characters, i just love building worlds and designing stat / skill systems.

people will always have feedback for what better path this game could take, but something ive done flawlessly is picking a path ill enjoy.

Otay

Developer

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This game looks fantastic, bro. You have an amazing imagination, and I echo what others said about your style resembling the best of the late 90s 3D era with its surrealness and simple dark elegance. The colors, lighting, geometry, etc. remind me of the 3DFX glide era specifically, the scene demos and such from that era. Keep it up!

Otay

Developer
This game looks fantastic, bro. You have an amazing imagination, and I echo what others said about your style resembling the best of the late 90s 3D era with its surrealness and simple dark elegance. The colors, lighting, geometry, etc. remind me of the 3DFX glide era specifically, the scene demos and such from that era. Keep it up!
Thanks man I super appreciate it
heart.png
icon_crying.gif

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I followed on twitter and downloaded the demo. My plan is to try it out this weekend.

Otay

Developer
I followed on twitter and downloaded the demo. My plan is to try it out this weekend.
oh helllllll no, download 1.2.2

theyre all free, i just keep old versions up in case people want to specifically beat old speedruns

AdolfSatan

Arcane
That shrine looks amazing. Probably getting a new computer next week, will look for a controller while I'm at it.

Otay

Developer
That shrine looks amazing. Probably getting a new computer next week, will look for a controller while I'm at it.
Thanks man heres a progress pic

haxii.png

got a few more donations this week, feeling hopeful about this project actually taking off one day

Otay

Developer
my loyal QA team has pointed out that 1.2.2 is crashing in Etzland / Rhunia citadel, will be releasing a patch tonight

super sorry about the inconvenience, im pretty embarrassed

edit: new patch will include the teaser area for haxlyn :]

Otay

Developer
New patch, 1.2.2b is out now.

- Fixed crashes from some weird editor error, no clue how they happened but rebaking my maps fixed it.
- Fixed attack time on Demolish (goliath skill)
- Fixed missing selector when selecting self in combat
- Haxlyn teaser area added with an invisible wall (but you can probably find a way around it if you wanna look around the incomplete area, wink)

Otay

Developer
Homepage is looking better now too.

http://www.realmofthetempest.com

but i have to say i really fucking hate html, its so absurd that something as simple as centering something can have code so obfuscated with 4 reasons why it might not work:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4955122/what-exactly-is-needed-for-margin-0-auto-to-work

its so irresponsible to allow something so simple to be that complicated. nobody outside of the web dev world is going to recognize that "margin: auto 0" means center, and wtf @ having to check these conditions not only in the html youre writing but in the css that defines it, like thats so insane maybe im just too sleepy but i literally cant figure out how to do it LOL

can you imagine making an elaborate RPG by yourself, and then not being able to center an element in html?

search engine optimizer says i have a lot more work to do, so wish me luck.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing 1.2.2 not 1.2.2b.

I'm playing this right now. I'm typing as I play. Nice first impression, but please, for the love of God, if you're going to only allow controller support, let me use the d-pad and not the stick when I choose dialog options. The d-pad can be used for other things, like in combat and menu.

The atmosphere is cool and what little of the writing that I have seen works well. I almost get a Shin Megami Tensei feel to the world.
Kaley has one error where the dialog says you're instead of your, I think.
The cleric has dialog where the word are is used twice.
There were a couple more but I have already forgotten..

Combat is okay, the glyph system is interesting. If used correctly, it breaks combat.
On the other hand, random encounter rate is very high. I feel like this should be looked at. I'm fighting every few seconds, which is too much in this kind of game.
Praying/singing/crawling idea is nice too. Not that I am using them much, but they could be useful in the final release.

In my opinion, you have nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to not getting picked for whatever that crap was. You have a solid foundation to build on, and I hope that you don't abandon your project.

Prehistorik

Scholar
Just realized why the game name is so familiar. Due to the "Lure of the Temptress" adventure game.
Both sound slick I think.

Otay

Developer
but please, for the love of God, if you're going to only allow controller support, let me use the d-pad and not the stick when I choose dialog options.
Ahaha damnit I keep breaking this feature, its been reported as a bug and fixed multiple times

I'll take care of it today

Playing 1.2.2 not 1.2.2b.

Kaley has one error where the dialog says you're instead of your, I think.
The cleric has dialog where the word are is used twice.
There were a couple more but I have already forgotten..
Thank you for this, fixed Kalev and Salus dialogs for the next update

Combat is okay, the glyph system is interesting. If used correctly, it breaks combat.
On the other hand, random encounter rate is very high. I feel like this should be looked at. I'm fighting every few seconds, which is too much in this kind of game.
Praying/singing/crawling idea is nice too. Not that I am using them much, but they could be useful in the final release.

The "breaking" of combat might be intentional, you are suppsoed to break through battles by collecting glyphs, and minimize the work required to do so for the fastest possible run (if speedrunning).

Random encounter rates are cut in half by praying, so try using that. I always have singing / praying on at all times unless battles get too hard.

In my opinion, you have nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to not getting picked for whatever that crap was. You have a solid foundation to build on, and I hope that you don't abandon your project.
Thank you so much for the feedback and support!
rating_salute.gif
heart.png

Otay

Developer
New patch 1.2.2c is out, most if not all the feedback has been addressed, thank you to everyone that played the game
rating_salute.gif
heart.png

I did a speedrun in < 30 minutes, and I'm happy to report there were no crashes (finally)

Otay

Developer
im going to make it so when you crouch in this pit you teleport into the woods, stole that idea from mario 64

pit.png

new color variations for our monsters,

Block1.png

still working on haxlyn wilderness

xhxhxh.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom