Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Fuck,just finished exploring BEDRI and had no loot,only the professors journal....disappointing.

I had the same thing and sure, it was disappointing, but on the other hand I kind of enjoy a little trolling from developers from time to time. It adds realism.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Okay, I'm enjoying the combat in this game, but what I'm not enjoying is the companions shouting advice at me every two seconds. "You're running out of magic, use a potion!", "use a potion if you want to cast more spells!", "use the potion!" YES I KNOW MY MANA IS DEPLETED, SHUT THE FUCK UP. It kind of takes me out of it. Seriously hoping they get rid of this useless nagging in a patch.

Jinn

Arcane
I'm starting to think the lack of loot from bosses might be a bug.

Before the game comes out I watched some preview video where they beat a boss and it actually drops two unique equipment

I think you might be remembering the mini-boss fight with the swamp monster? If so, it's guarding a body of a Coin Guard soldier. That body has the unique items on it and a key to a chest, not the monster.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
so... is it worth full price?
can someone compare it to technomancer in terms of combat, backtracking, quests and setting by saying better/worse?

Greedfall improves over Technomancer in every way. Much less backtracking. Better designed quests with more ways to solve them. Great atmosphere as usual. Setting is more a matter of taste, because if you like sci-fi more than flintlock fantasy you’ll prefer Technomancer, but otherwise it’s all a step up.

My review of very Spiders game: if you thought the last one was a mixed bag and were kind of on the fence about it, you’ll probably like the new one.

frajaq

Erudite
lmao this """reveal""" during mid-game is a fucking joke

oh no De Sardet did you just find out that you come from this island after someone tells you? never occured to you that almost every fucking quest involving natives they mention on their dialogue how you're "marked" just like them too? Never made you pause and think for a bit?

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm starting to think the lack of loot from bosses might be a bug.

Before the game comes out I watched some preview video where they beat a boss and it actually drops two unique equipment

I think you might be remembering the mini-boss fight with the swamp monster? If so, it's guarding a body of a Coin Guard soldier. That body has the unique items on it and a key to a chest, not the monster.

I hope I'm wrong and you're right.
I remember it wrong, because I just fight the boss and it is true, the equipment is from the body not the boss.

Jinn

Arcane
I remember it wrong, because I just fight the boss and it is true, the equipment is from the body not the boss.

See, this is still a great and logical way to go about it. They just needed to do this same or similar thing with more bosses and mini-bosses, but they just didn't. I can only ask myself why the hell not? The idea was there, they executed it, then it just kind of went to the wayside. They didn't even need to do it with all of them, just a good number of them.

Another really cool thing I think they could have easily pulled off is having a part of the monster you could use in crafting an awesome unique piece of weapon or armor.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
is this game fun and good or is the slavo-gothic lobby pretending eurojank is actually a positive term
Imo its a little boring, the writing isn't really that great, the combat is alright nothing to write home about though, played it for 4-5 hours only so take that into account, I'd advise pirating it first to try it and buying it if you like it.

SteelAttack

Novice
Well I just got to the first proper city and I already got into a fight and got my reputation lowered there. Just like in real life.

Thought I was somewhat fucked, however when I met the big shit that governs the place she basically told me we were cool and that the other dude was a twat. Dunno if that will bite me in the ass later. I really want to face hard consequences for that kind of stuff.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Okay, I'm enjoying the combat in this game, but what I'm not enjoying is the companions shouting advice at me every two seconds. "You're running out of magic, use a potion!", "use a potion if you want to cast more spells!", "use the potion!" YES I KNOW MY MANA IS DEPLETED, SHUT THE FUCK UP. It kind of takes me out of it. Seriously hoping they get rid of this useless nagging in a patch.
Your health is low, do you have any potions? or food?
Try to keep your combat multiplier even higher.
Check the guild for more quests!
Wolves hunt in packs, arisen!

Codex Year of the Donut
lmao this """reveal""" during mid-game is a fucking joke

oh no De Sardet did you just find out that you come from this island after someone tells you? never occured to you that almost every fucking quest involving natives they mention on their dialogue how you're "marked" just like them too? Never made you pause and think for a bit?
I called it before the game even launched
:M

Codex Year of the Donut
Main issue with the game is the issue Spiders always has: The project's scope was too big. e.g., they should have focused on making New Selene bigger and more detailed than creating three settlements that are all sorta half-assed.

Technomancer

Liturgist

Are all the companions just as annoying as the first one? Will he ever shut up about my health/energy being low and his fucking potions? I'm getting Fable flashbacks. I thought it was pretty infamous example for other devs to not repeat. Not spiders it seems.

"Hero, your health is low. Do you have any potions or food?"

SteelAttack

Novice
The only one I wouldn't mind to be nagging me about potions would be Petrus. Such a deep, booming voice. I feel like my balls get bigger just by listening to him.

Technomancer

Liturgist
That's the main problem that plagues the spiders games, they don't have the budget to make it feel perfect. Once you travel the game a little the amount of copypasted and missing assets is evident.

* Many NPC spam same voice lines constantly desperately trying to make the world seem less dead, especially traders. VA is expensive after all. Ok for the most part, but that native trader in starting city is cancer-inducing, OI ON OL MENAWI!!! They made the companions spam the "use the potions" line for the same reason because there is absolutely zero party banter and without potion lines, you would travel in dead space.
* The are many invisible walls in the game world. Some times they are jarring, in the prologue try to go to the big ship harbor in which you sail later, can't do this, invisible wall at the point of transition to cutscene.
* Governor palace, barracks, taverns are identical, in 3 different cities from 3 different nations. Same with the native's huts but it makes sense here and they are much smaller.
* Trader in the prologue is copypasted to the island colony, he has the same model, same voice lines and yet the game tells you he is here for 2 months (it took you 2 month of travel to get there). Citizen models, in general, are in constant reuse and lack variety.
* There are no extra animations, too costly. Every time the game implies that something needs to happen in dialogue the screen quickly turns to black to hide the lack of anims. There is no sitting animation, screen blackout chars teleport to chairs. Go to the alchemist laboratory, 6 "alchemists" stand in front of alchemical tables doing nothing. At least they are not T-posing.
* The game lacks small details in consequences. For example: mother and father kidnapped their former kid, the father tells you it is because of mother dying from sorrow. Kill the father, take the kid, go back to mother to check her mental state...pointless, not a single line, she just stands there like a piece of furniture. And it is always the same, there is no point to go back and check NPC after your choices, they are all present as soon as you complete the quest, no extra is present.

These are the little things, but they add up. Spiders should restrain their silly ambition, and focus more on details. Lower the price a little, and stop this "inspired by BioWare" nonsense. They don't have the budget, nor the people to properly emulate them.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
I haven't encountered a single bug.
Also, the boss he shows at ~2:20 is on the easiest mode. Your gun does like 1/50th his HP per shot in extreme, and he doesn't move towards you — he'll just impale you with a spear or do a leap attack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom