Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - the Jeff Vogel Kickstarter

Martyr

Arcane
Two hours in and i still don't know what you autistocrats are complaining about. The game seems fine to me. Even as someone who doesn't like TB combat, I can get into it. The game world seems to be large enough for the game's budget. The systems in place are basic but functional and enjoyable enough, and the writing is competent. I saw one particular autist noble here complaining about using the same word twice in two immediate sentences. They obviously missed the writer's intent. The game's world is not captivating me much as of yet though, i give you that, and Vogel seems to not understand the value of symmetry much. Lastly, the graphics are quite consistent and nice but the sfx is basic. Anyhow, if you people believe that Vogel's other work is much superior to this, then those games must be fucking masterpieces. I haven't played any of those so maybe i'm missing point of reference. Otherwise, i think the hate some of you are dishing out here is an acute case of autistititis.

there's a difference between "good RPG" and "fun game". it's possible that you're having fun with Queen's Wish but that doesn't make it a good RPG, which is something we're actively looking for and also somewhat expecting from a dev, who has made perfectly fine RPGs in the past.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Two hours in and i still don't know what you autistocrats are complaining about. The game seems fine to me. Even as someone who doesn't like TB combat, I can get into it. The game world seems to be large enough for the game's budget. The systems in place are basic but functional and enjoyable enough, and the writing is competent. I saw one particular autist noble here complaining about using the same word twice in two immediate sentences. They obviously missed the writer's intent. The game's world is not captivating me much as of yet though, i give you that, and Vogel seems to not understand the value of symmetry much. Lastly, the graphics are quite consistent and nice but the sfx is basic. Anyhow, if you people believe that Vogel's other work is much superior to this, then those games must be fucking masterpieces. I haven't played any of those so maybe i'm missing point of reference. Otherwise, i think the hate some of you are dishing out here is an acute case of autistititis.
Clearly you are a trolololololo....pretty low effort at that.

FinishedHotDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

Mortmal

Arcane
Anyhow, if you people believe that Vogel's other work is much superior to this, then those games must be fucking masterpieces. I haven't played any of those so maybe i'm missing point of reference. Otherwise, i think the hate some of you are dishing out here is an acute case of autistititis.
You aren't missing any point of reference he's reselling the same iteration of the same game since decades, except its more and more streamlined . Exile used to have 6 characters in party, avernum reduced it to 4 but had feats skillpoints and stats still and you could read a guide on how to make a good build, queen wish has a few boxes to tick and unlimited respec. You certainly wont see people discussing builds anymore, theres really not much to discuss, only question i am asking myself is if the racial skills %bonus cumulate. It used to look like ultima with lot of interactable items and junk all over the place , now it autosells valuables magically everything while prettier feel so static. Previous games seems more lively.
Were the previous ones masterpieces? i think so yes , best was avernum 3 in my opinion. Queen's wish is the best looking of them all, despite some inconsistencies in the art, you now see what your characters are wearing the animations are nice . its a fun game still ,combat is as tactical as ever but its like if you are playing with the pre generated party of the previous games with autolevel up . It's a fun game, worth playing, but a rpg lite, could have been much more, and should have been since its for a public of grognards .
No doubt everything will be recycled in queen wish 2 for a better experience...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like the small choices. I hope the reactivity will materialise.

The 'shop placement' thing better not become a nuisance, though.

I'm still hooked. Reclaiming a mine is as fun now as it was in his previous 100 games. But e.g. it's the first time I can make a decision to let a nobleman from a hated family reclaim a mansion; interesting, we'll see what happens.

Clearly you are a trolololololo....pretty low effort at that.

FinishedHotDragonfly-size_restricted.gif

Clearly, you are a Dumbfuck!

You aren't missing any point of reference he's reselling the same iteration of the same game since decades, except its more and more streamlined . Exile used to have 6 characters in party, avernum reduced it to 4 but had feats skillpoints and stats still and you could read a guide on how to make a good build, queen wish has a few boxes to tick and unlimited respec. You certainly wont see people discussing builds anymore, theres really not much to discuss, only question i am asking myself is if the racial skills %bonus cumulate. It used to look like ultima with lot of interactable items and junk all over the place , now it autosells valuables magically everything while prettier feel so static. Previous games seems more lively.
Were the previous ones masterpieces? i think so yes , best was avernum 3 in my opinion. Queen's wish is the best looking of them all, despite some inconsistencies in the art, you now see what your characters are wearing the animations are nice . its a fun game still ,combat is as tactical as ever but its like if you are playing with the pre generated party of the previous games with autolevel up . It's a fun game, worth playing, but a rpg lite, could have been much more, and should have been since its for a public of grognards .
No doubt everything will be recycled in queen wish 2 for a better experience...

Good answer. The devil is in the details. It *does* sound like i'm missing point of reference though. I'll play geneforge one day.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Anyhow, if you people believe that Vogel's other work is much superior to this, then those games must be fucking masterpieces.

Yes, in a way

I haven't played any of those so maybe i'm missing point of reference.

Yes, certainly

You are missing out Vogel not phoning in writing, setting, systems

Otherwise, i think the hate some of you are dishing out here is an acute case of autistititis.

We're on the Codex

Also, Infinitron , get us that review copy, I'm sure Vogel will be thrilled to have a review from the Nazi Autism Den of People With Negative Feedback That Should Be Ignored

thesecret1

Arcane
You don't understand because you haven't played his earlier games. As I said above, the game itself, when reviewed independently, is okay (the massive deficiencies in terms of loot and stats are somewhat compensated by the admittedly good reactivity of the captured areas, but it's still far from what I'd call a good game. "okay" is the best rating it can hope for). But it is massive DECLINE in context of Vogel's previous work. The game world is small compared to his previous ones (which were made with smaller budgets), the systems are pathetically simplistic, the writing has like a tenth of effort given to it compared to previous games...

Anyhow, if you people believe that Vogel's other work is much superior to this, then those games must be fucking masterpieces.
They genuinely are. Low budget and ugly, but genius in writing and execution. Play Geneforge.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Jeff's post-release post: https://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2019/09/queens-wish-is-out-heres-why-its-so.html

Some Sawyery changes here!

Queen's Wish Is Out. Here's Why It's So Weird!

All new. All different.

Now that we've finally released our new game, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, we're finally free to talk about it! Nerdy game-design talking!

We have been writing role-playing games for a very, very long time. It's what we do. One of the ways we stay sane while doing this is to change things. Every game or two, we like to change stuff: The graphics. The setting. The game system.

Doing new things inspires us and keeps our brains fresh. After 25 years, we want to innovate. Stretch the form. Take risks, win or lose.

The problem is that whenever you make a change some people will get mad. Whatever change you make, some people will dislike it. (Which is reasonable. People like what the like.) It is then the responsibility of the developer to earn new customers to make up for the ones driven away by the changes. (which is difficult and scary.)

Our newest game, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror, changes EVERYTHING. It's a completely new RPG, rewritten from the ground up.

Some of the changes, like the graphics and the storyline, will be pretty self-evident. Some people will like them, and some won't. I hope you're cool with it, but it's out of my hands now.

There Is One Way I Can Make Things Easier

There is one thing I can help with, though. I've changed a lot of rules and ways the game system works. For decades, we've set up stuff in a certain way, and now it's different, and it's caused some confusion among our testers.

So, for our long-time fans, this is a quick guide to the stuff we've changed. This will help you avoid confusion and kill monsters with maximal efficiency.

I don't want you to waste your time. Every dungeon you enter, you can WIN. You have to win. If not ...

1. Trash Monsters Don't Get Experience

This is the single change that makes people the most angry. You get experience with victories. Completing quests, defeating dungeons, these are what give experience.

Sneaking into a dungeon, killing two wolves, and running out doesn't reward you. You have to enter every dungeon determined to get victory. Coffee is for closers.

I understand the anger about this change. A lot of people play RPGs to get that constant dopamine drip of tiny rewards. I'm trying to do a different thing here, and it's going to cost us money. I don't want you to waste your time killing the same 3 brigands again and again and again. I want you to always be pushing forward, exploring new areas, defeating new foes, trying new things.

2. You Have To Do Dungeons In One Trip

Along the same lines as #1. Your enemies can get reinforcements. You can't dip into a dungeon, kill a few monsters, return to town to rest, and repeat until the adventure is whittled away. You have to use strategy and conserve your power to defeat dungeons in one trip.

Don't let this stress you out, though. We have worked really hard on balance. On Normal difficulty, the dungeons should be exciting and suspenseful without being punishing. If you want a true tactical challenge, on the other hand, Veteran and Torment difficulties are there for you.

3. You Don't Have Much Energy, But Effects Are Powerful

In our earlier games, you had tons of energy and cast lost of spells all the time, but they had less of an effect. In Queen's Wish, you have less energy (though killing foes refreshes it). The effects are quite powerful, but you will have to take care to use them when they can have maximal impact.

If character development seems to simple, remember that how you improve your forts is a major part of your character build. There's lot of complexity, but I don't hit you with it all at the beginning.

4. Healing is Weaker. Crowd Control is Stronger.

It is more important to control your foes than to just let them bonk you and heal the damage. You will have a full suite of stun and terror abilities to get your enemies under control.

A nice tip: Many of your ability make your next weapon blow have a special effect (like causing bleeding or stun). These abilities help attacks from bows and wands too. You can have your archer stun the evil wizards in the back row!

5. You Make the Best Gear In Your Forts

The dungeons still have good treasure, of course. However, your most important reward for completing missions is resources for your forts. Then you can build new smithies, alchemists, etc. The more smithies you build, the better the gear you can get.

Having trouble in a dungeon? Remember that the best gear is sold in your forts. Go back to one of them, build a new smithy, and do some shopping. It will help a lot!

There are over 40 base abilities. Some are core. Some are situational. Some dungeons on higher difficulties may require special character builds.

6. You Can Change Around Your Skills At Will

When you train your character in a set of abilities, you can unlearn those abilities in your forts at will. Some abilities are more useful in certain regions.

On Normal difficulty, this probably won't be necessary. In higher difficulty levels, you might need to change your skill loadout or switch to alternate characters to overcome certain challenges.

You may find the Queen's Wish system is way deeper than it appears at first. You'll have to make a lot of decisions about how to build up your forts and how to shift your skills around to deal with new foes.

7. No More Junk Items

For the last couple decades, there were lots of small incidental items (like spoons or bricks) scattered around to add flavor to areas. These aren't in Queen's Wish. Boxes only contain treasure. You don't get to collect a millions small items, but, on the other hand, there's no need to collect a million small items.

Your backpack is only for useful items. It has limited space, so you have to decide what to take with you into a dungeon. Fortunately, it's not hard to make your pack bigger.

And If You Hate These Changes?

Don't worry! We will still be remastering our old games, and we will leave the things you like in them alone as much as possible. Our next game will be a remaster of our beloved old Geneforge, and we promise to respect what you loved about it.

Anyway, Queen's Wish: The Conqueror for Windows and Mac is out. The iPad and iPhone version will be out late in the year. Thank you for your patience with this new world, and we hope you love these games half as much as we do!

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I like the idea of experience after a conquest instead of for every fight. Removes the need/desire to grind, if it's done properly.

thesecret1

Arcane
I don't want you to waste your time killing the same 3 brigands again and again and again. I want you to always be pushing forward, exploring new areas, defeating new foes, trying new things.
I like the idea of experience after a conquest instead of for every fight. Removes the need/desire to grind, if it's done properly.
The solution to preventing grind is to just not make the enemies respawn. It's not a new thing, been around for as long as RPGs, and Vogel himself used it in his previous games.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
So, what exactly does a 'bonus to healing' do? Improve the performed healing, or increase the number of hps received if the char is the recipient? The game doesn't explain this and I see no way of checking

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The solution to preventing grind is to just not make the enemies respawn. It's not a new thing, been around for as long as RPGs, and Vogel himself used it in his previous games.

But he also wants you to clear a dungeon in one go instead of degenerately backtracking to rest. :P

Dayyālu

Arcane
Hey, evaluation copy got out. Let's test the last Vogel effort!

I have cleaned up the middle region for exploitation, so I presume I finished the early early game. Usually after 1-2 hours you can evaluate the basics of a game, so I will rant for a while to clean up my thoughts.

Pros:
+ Insanely enough, the graphics do not bother me much. After a while you start ignoring them wholesale. They are completely ugly, the character portraits are a sin against God, and perspective doesn't work, the art styles clash against each other, etc. etc.... but seriously, after a while it's like ASCII art. Theater of the mind. I almost missed the copy-pasted sound effects. Almost.

+ Uhmmm.... good font selection? It's easy to read.

Cons
+ The writing has become from "good" (Geneforge) to mediocre (Avadon) to "can't be bothered to read" (Queen's Wish). It's puzzling, it's like Vogel is slowly .... degenerating? There's nothing interesting to read, the characters are NPC stand-ins (why even bother to give names to a few of them?), the entirety of the setting is less developed than the first DnD campaign you played when you were 12. Wait, my teenager DnD campaign was far more creative. You are sent by the Generican Empire to get back the Three Kingdoms in the Triscele Island. One of the kingdom is apparently Mud Mexicans coming to steal your jobs. The other has slaves. The third spooky trees, I presume. Have I told you the second kingdom has slaves? Because the game loves to tell you that Second Kingdom has slaves.

+ I'm frankly happy he wants to do away with trash combat.Because the entirey of the game until now is trash combat. I've found a single fight that wasn't trash combat, and it was literally "build the room so the two archers have a barricade". Congrats. Triumph of design. What the fuck. Again, I have played both Geneforge, Avernum and the first Avadon. I know that Vogel loves his trash combat, but there's a significant ... loss of complexity and thought put into encounter design.

+ The fort building is both amusing and puzzling. It's very noticeable Vogel is trying to do something new with mechanics.... but honestly, do we need to grind to get Three Buildings of a Kind to unlock gear? There's some clear confusion regarding developing a base. It feels both overly simplified and bothersome to learn, what a weird feeling.

+ I love ironically the companions. Creations from Geneforge had more character than those lovely, disposable bags of HP. But honestly.... your own character is a disposable bag of HP. The character system has the depth of a puddle. BUT at the same time you are given a ++++ bonuses from buildings and from runes an' thingies and stuff to add to armour. It feels both overly simplified and bothersome to check, what a weird feeling.

Up until now, and I reserve the right to change my opinion, the game feels like.... fuck. It's a RPGMaker game. Vogel is literally reinventing the wheel: imagine a young RPGmaker creator that wants to push the standards a bit: so you get some kingdom management elements, tie them to items and party bonuses, and you are good to go! The combat is repetitive trash that respawns endlessly until you down the Boss. Holy fuck, jokes aside, Queen's Wish is essentially a RPGmaker game.

Let's see if it improves.

Meh, i put in several hours into Queen's Wish. It was okay experience but nothing i'd bother with past the 5 hour test mark. Nothing's really memorable in this 'universe'. I think i'll wait for the Geneforge remaster and play that instead. Good effort. I can't say the game is objectively bad, because its really not, but there are much better Arrr Pee Gees i could play. Still, as a sworn pirate, i don't feel bad giving Adolf Vogel money just to support his old ass until he remasters his supposedly better work.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
from what i played, there is certainly a good idea somewhere, but buried too deep beneath vogel's . . . incompetence?

i really like the idea that you are just thrown there, tasked to conquer and do it free form. but i can't help getting disappointed in almost every turn so far. inventory system is as deep as telltale's walking simulator, the combat seems to be pretty standard, and while the encounter isn't as trashy as before, it still not much an improvement.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Trash combat was one of the other games charm. You wanted all the combat you could get so you could level up and beat the shit out of side bosses and shit. It was very satisfying to come back 20 levels later and kill X enemy. Also the combat here is very declined because now it have long ass animations and i had to play it with speed hacks.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
rash combat was one of the other games charm. You wanted all the combat you could get so you could level up and beat the shit out of side bosses and shit.
at least i really fucking hate it in geneforge 5 and 6 because most mobs have like 1500+ HP and there are tons of them in 1 map.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Yeah, 7 hours in now, and this game is pretty bad. It's not as boring as Avadon was, but the structure is totally childish. I can't think of any other way to describe it. You have a central fort and, wow what a coincidence, four different tribes/groups in the cardinal directions from your fort, literally mere hours away in game time (you can autotravel from one side of the island to the other and the game will warn you R U SURE? WILL TAKE 3 HOURS). You go to a town, clear out a fort, add it your empire, clear out a mine, and then move on to the next tribe.

At first I thought the lack of trash mobs and the fact that leaving a hostile area restores all encounters would improve things, but it's just annoying. You have so few ability points that you can easily spend them all on healing during a battle that's gone wrong, which means you'll have no chance whatsoever to clear the area in a single attempt... which means going back to town to restore HP/AP, which also means all encounters are repopulated. Since you don't get experience for combat, you just wasted your time.

I'm not sure if dedicated spellcasters are even viable in this game. You're either a melee fighter with martial abilities or a melee fighter with arcane abilities. You're probably better off just loading everyone up with martial abilities and then spending a couple points on healing and magic. Give everyone backup bows to wear enemies down as they chase at you, switch to melee, and then massacre them.

Vogel mentioned that he purposefully designed the game to limit the number of ability points so that you can't fire off magic and abilities constantly like in previous games, and that he removed character development (stats, abilities, builds, etc.) in favor of the town development (build two blacksmiths to get access to better weapons, build two barracks to get a damage bonus in combat). Okay, but now you're left with a party of four characters that are basically completely identical, the only difference being that one guy can spend an ability point to do 12-15 damage to all enemies around him, and another guy can do 12-15 damage to all enemies in an X by X area.

P.S. The game apparently scales all encounters to one level below your average party level, so the "open world" serves no purpose whatsoever.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
P.S. The game apparently scales all encounters to one level below your average party level, so the "open world" serves no purpose whatsoever.
:what:

how do you know this?
so on top of removing progression , he removed obstacles for the player to? holy shit. i can't believe i have gone from defending his efforts to thinking "yup, have gone senile" in a span of less than several days.

newtmonkey

Arcane
HoboForEternity

Someone mentioned it on the Queen's Wish Steam forums, and Vogel hasn't confirmed or denied it. I think most people honestly don't care (it wasn't brought up as a negative), but it's definite decline for us on the Codex, if true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom