Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount&Blade Warband : best mods.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Sorry to bump this but I decided to download 10 or so of the recommended mods from the community, and I'm finding Bannerpage (based on vanilla and the Floris mod pack) to be a bit of a drag and a grind. I've seen people who are die-hard Warband fans that say they never play the original M&B Warband campaign and instead invest hundreds of hours in mods. Of the ten mods I downloaded and tested (only the few first areas) only A World of Ice & Fire struck me as radically different from the others. Wow, someone really really put a lot of work and polish into this because it looks better than most AAA efforts. Would give it a playthrough if it weren't for the fact that it's a ball-buster and not for new fans to M&M series like myself. So I'll probably quit Bannerpage and go for Viking Conquest unless someone else has a better suggestion. Prefer new maps and TCs.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

I checked that one out in my list of 10 recommended mods and it looks intriguing but it's also suppose to be one of the buggiest mods in existence for Warband. I heard that in middle-to-late game the user just gets a massive influx of error messages about missing scripts or something to the point where it becomes unplayable. Bugs are the soul-killer. I just started Viking Conquest Reforged Edition and it's definitely more enjoyable than vanilla. At least you have actual clear cut goals instead of an almost pointless sandbox like vanilla.

Gregz

Arcane
Sorry to bump this but I decided to download 10 or so of the recommended mods from the community, and I'm finding Bannerpage (based on vanilla and the Floris mod pack) to be a bit of a drag and a grind. I've seen people who are die-hard Warband fans that say they never play the original M&B Warband campaign and instead invest hundreds of hours in mods. Of the ten mods I downloaded and tested (only the few first areas) only A World of Ice & Fire struck me as radically different from the others. Wow, someone really really put a lot of work and polish into this because it looks better than most AAA efforts. Would give it a playthrough if it weren't for the fact that it's a ball-buster and not for new fans to M&M series like myself. So I'll probably quit Bannerpage and go for Viking Conquest unless someone else has a better suggestion. Prefer new maps and TCs.

Enjoying a Warband mod depends a great deal on what you're looking for from the mod.

Prophecy of Pendor is still my favorite. It's so full featured and I love the setting.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

Enjoying a Warband mod depends a great deal on what you're looking for from the mod.

Prophecy of Pendor is still my favorite. It's so full featured and I love the setting.

Prophecy of Pendor was good, but I remember being a little annoyed at the elf master race. There's literally only one way to play that mod, and it's to look for elves who are fighting someone, and you join the battle on their side, and you keep doing that until you're allied with the elves. Then once you have access to elven troops and equipment, you conquer the rest of the world.

Edit: Gregz did you ever get anywhere training with the elves? I would try training with them, and they would give me a staff to fight an archer, who would shoot me in the face for a million damage before I could even get the staff into blocking position--as if a staff could block an arrow anyway.

I don't think I tried A World of Ice & Fire. I did play Clash of Kings and I really liked it. The battles between the various factions aren't quite as dramatic as they are in the book. The North is too far away from the Westerlands for those two groups to really have any interesting dynamics, and then the randomized simulation is just kind of, well, random. I do remember enjoying that mod's tournament system though. You get to bring your own equipment to the tourney, and in one of the builds araks were insanely fast, and I went into every tournament cutting everyone down with my masterwork arak. That got nerfed in a later build and I was a bit disappointed.

Have you tried Brytenwalda? It's Viking-era Britain. There's a lot to the game, and it's fun to try all of the new stuff. But it is very unforgiving. If you end up within 100 yards of a Viking, you will get killed with a spear to the face. Seriously, it's like spears are iron-age sniper rifles.

Gregz

Arcane
Edit: Gregz did you ever get anywhere training with the elves? I would try training with them, and they would give me a staff to fight an archer, who would shoot me in the face for a million damage before I could even get the staff into blocking position--as if a staff could block an arrow anyway.

If you advance towards them diagonally, in a zigzag pattern, they won't hit you. They are targetting the hitbox of your head, not leading you to account for movement.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I don't think I tried A World of Ice & Fire. I did play Clash of Kings and I really liked it.

Isn't A Clash of Kings the one with the random events where you permanently lose stats? Like you'll be traversing the overland map when you're suddenly attacked by a homosexual rapist and he fucks you in the ass and then you lose stats from your crucial Riding skill because you can't sit on a horse properly anymore until your butt has time to heal and you've laboriously grinded to get those stats up again? I'm no expert but it seems to me this might be a tad irritating and questionable game design :roll:

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I don't think I tried A World of Ice & Fire. I did play Clash of Kings and I really liked it.

Isn't A Clash of Kings the one with the random events where you permanently lose stats? Like you'll be traversing the overland map when you're suddenly attacked by a homosexual rapist and he fucks you in the ass and then you lose stats from your crucial Riding skill because you can't sit on a horse properly anymore until your butt has time to heal and you've laboriously grinded to get those stats up again? I'm no expert but it seems to me this might be a tad irritating and questionable game design :roll:
On that note, I believe the mod's developer took a hiatus recently to get the tranny surgery, and the last update included assets lifted directly from Ice and Fire.

I like A World of Ice and Fire though, I just can't bring myself to play it anymore due to how unstable it is. I think basing the mod on Viking Conquest was a solid move overall though.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

On that note, I believe the mod's developer took a hiatus recently to get the tranny surgery, and the last update included assets lifted directly from Ice and Fire.

I like A World of Ice and Fire though, I just can't bring myself to play it anymore due to how unstable it is. I think basing the mod on Viking Conquest was a solid move overall though.

Stability (of the mod not the modder) is one of the most important things to me in selecting any mod to play. The hideous Elder Scrolls IV's modding community taught me that life is too short to be playing something that could collapse out from under me at any second. Even Bannerpage (considered stable by many) had two bugs that caused me to almost ragequit. By habit I always use the 4GB memory patch on any 32-bit game I'll be playing long-term but that can only get you on borrowed time if the mod is a sloppy piece of knob.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron

Stability (of the mod not the modder) is one of the most important things to me in selecting any mod to play. The hideous Elder Scrolls IV's modding community taught me that life is too short to be playing something that could collapse out from under me at any second. Even Bannerpage (considered stable by many) had two bugs that caused me to almost ragequit. By habit I always use the 4GB memory patch on any 32-bit game I'll be playing long-term but that can only get you on borrowed time if the mod is a sloppy piece of knob.
ACOK is the mod with the mentally ill developer.
AWoIaF is unstable because they put too much into the game and the ancient Warband engine can't take anymore.

Zanzoken

Arcane
unstable because they put too much into the game and the ancient Warband engine can't take anymore

This is every Warband overhaul I've ever tried. They're all buggy as hell and/or laden with a bunch of stupid unnecessary features that make the game even more of a chore to play.

boot

Prophet

Bannerpage is really bad, adds way too much junk.

Prophecy of Pendor was good, but I remember being a little annoyed at the elf master race. There's literally only one way to play that mod, and it's to look for elves who are fighting someone, and you join the battle on their side, and you keep doing that until you're allied with the elves. Then once you have access to elven troops and equipment, you conquer the rest of the world.

This doesn't sound right to me. Noldor aren't that good, but they make fine allies if you go independent. You never really have access to Elven troops (You think you can maintain an army of units that costs Qualis Gems?) and their gear can only be equipped by you and your companions. Allying with the Noldor can be done by capturing them as prisoners and releasing them if you don't want to follow them around.

Worst thing about Pendor was the Custom Knighthood Order feature. You end up with units that trivialize the entire game- once they get running you will have no reason to use anything else. They balance this by making it take a really long time to get going and cost a tremendous amount of money, but that only makes getting the CKO going more tedious. I recommend ignoring CKO completely. As soon as I saw how broken the units were I disbanded them all and closed all the chapters, nearly ruined my playthrough.

One random tip I don't remember reading anywhere: If you wanna get married quickly, wait for the bride's father to attend a feast and talk to him about marriage there. You'll get the wedding ceremony at that same feast, won't have to wait around for months. This works in Native, too, probably all mods.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Bannerpage is really bad, adds way too much junk.

Yeah, I quit after about a third of the way in. I made the mistake of deciding on Bannerpage for my first ever playthrough of Warband. Bad idea. I've seen the light: if any game is stable and well-regarded in its original release state, ALWAYS play that first, and don't monkey around with mods and their monkey modders for a first playrthough of a game. If I could turn back time....

boot

Prophet
Yeah, I quit after about a third of the way in. I made the mistake of deciding on Bannerpage for my first ever playthrough of Warband. Bad idea. I've seen the light: if any game is stable and well-regarded in its original release state, ALWAYS play that first, and don't monkey around with mods and their monkey modders for a first playrthough of a game. If I could turn back time....

I think I put like 500 hours on Native before I started looking at mods, it's definitely underrated.

To respond to the thread title: Only mods I've put time in are Pendor and Last Days of the Third Age, both I'd recommend strongly, Last Days of the Third Age a bit less, though (it's very different). I'm sure there are more good ones (Brytenwalda and Gekokujo I really wanna try) but I just haven't yet. I think native mod packs like Floris are shit, diplomacy is shit, that dismemberment mod where you can decapitate people and cut arms off looks cool but I never bothered to install it.

Probably going to get back into playing Warband mods soon. Will check out The Last Days, Warsword Conquest, and Sayazn.

Probably the mod I had the most fun playing was Gekokujo II. Completely new aesthetic from the usual medieval European setting and nice music. I thought it was pretty immersive. The game does boil down to archer spam, though, because there are no shields to protect you and the terrain of the maps is very difficult to traverse so you can't charge the archers before they deal significant damage to you (dense forests, mountains, and castles on mountaintops). However, the map of Japan is too big. There were like two dozen factions and dozens and dozens of towns. After 50-100 hours of gameplay, I had taken over only the northern 20% of Honshu. By that points, I had several dozen lords under my command, and it would simply be a long process of marshalling all of my lords and systematically taking every town for the next several dozen hours, so I stopped playing. The long boring endgame was a problem with vanilla Warband is a problem with many mods.

I never got the Prophecy of Pendor hype. There were big armies of cultists that you could hardly do anything about. You either had to hope that a faction was on campaign and the marshalled forces engaged the cultist army so you could join in and leech, or you had to have almost taken over the world and marshal every lord in the land before engaging in a long, arborous fight against the cultist army. The only other notable feature of PoP that I could recall were the Knighthood Orders which allows you to recruit units of your own choice, but IIRC I couldn't afford to begin really making use of that feature until I controlled most of the map, and by that point it was too late. To PoP's credit, it doesn't have a long boring endgame, and you still have some challenge up until there is only like 1 or 2 factions left, but by that point you're going to take over the world in a few hours of playtime anyway.

Perisno was interesting because I could play as a giant, which was visually cool. But otherwise there was nothing notable about it. A horde from overseas invades after a certain amount of time and just annihilates everything.

I liked the naval battles in Viking Conquest. Wish that there were other mods that did stuff like that. I overall didn't like VC, though. Maybe I was missing something, but it was brutally hard. Your starter troops suck and you take brutal losses in every fight and you spend too much of your game time going around trying to find new recruits, and the expenses add up so you're hardly able to promote units and when you do you're not able to retain them for very long, so you're always poor. Never made it out of the earlygame.

There was a multiplayer mod called NordInvasion, which was basically Left 4 Dead where you and the other players hold out for as long as you can against invading vikings. That was pretty fun. If you held out long enough, you would face the ultimate mobs: the angry housewives, who would beat you to death with frying pans.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I liked the naval battles in Viking Conquest. Wish that there were other mods that did stuff like that. I overall didn't like VC, though. Maybe I was missing something, but it was brutally hard. Your starter troops suck and you take brutal losses in every fight and you spend too much of your game time going around trying to find new recruits, and the expenses add up so you're hardly able to promote units and when you do you're not able to retain them for very long, so you're always poor. Never made it out of the earlygame
I think VC requires you to beeline for the one shot dungeons so you can score good gear asap.
With that I could last longer in a fight and ensure army survival.

curry

Arcane
I've only recently realized how fucking cool Chronicles of Might and Magic actually it. Definitely recommend it. Also Adventure in the East is amazing too.

thesecret1

Arcane
I liked the naval battles in Viking Conquest. Wish that there were other mods that did stuff like that. I overall didn't like VC, though. Maybe I was missing something, but it was brutally hard. Your starter troops suck and you take brutal losses in every fight and you spend too much of your game time going around trying to find new recruits, and the expenses add up so you're hardly able to promote units and when you do you're not able to retain them for very long, so you're always poor. Never made it out of the earlygame.
That's because you missed the #1 way of making money in VC, which is capturing enemy ships. Tens of thousands of peningas, even for the crap random raiders go around in. Once you have enough troops to take on the random viking spawns and the like, you have basically infinite money thanks to this.

Anyway, VC isn't really all that good in the first place, so you didn't miss out on much.

Shout out for 1050 AD. Well judged Vanilla+ selection in a pseudo early medieval setting. Doesn't have the more advanced features of Silverstag but a good one for a relaxed long campaign.

Bummed out that Silverstag never got finished. Died much too early like the original Sword of Damocles for 1.011.

i find your lack of this game's official thread disturbing.

anyway,
https://www.moddb.com/mods/warsword-conquest
warhammer total conversion.
larpers only apply. balance is completely off, because they couldn't vary numbers so skaven armies are going to be as large as anyone else, and same tier troops are supposed to be go against other same tiers. it feels a bit like a less hardcore pendor, which is good, but i can't get over the lack of more recent features like recruiting other armies, as seen in ad 1257. other con: late during development it changed from fantasy to age of sigmar. decline. skaven own half the map and goblins take enormous dumps on tomb kings.

What's the word on Explorer? Considering my options for a new run

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom