Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Well, wait till you get to the Pitax Tavern. And Middle of Nowhere location. Prepare to be amazed.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
pretty short its fucking 1 minute but takes paladins animation to activate
retardo designed this

Eight uses at one minute each doesn’t seem like much but it’s like 80 rounds of rage (no UI issues but annoying fatigue instead). That’s why I hate non-lingering round abilities.

It certainly is NOT the same. The Flamewarden ability wastes its timer between combats. Meanwhile Barb Rage (and Bard songs) are only active during actual combat rounds. You can even delay triggering it while you buff/mark enemies/do other stuff. So in practice those 30++ Rage rounds will work much better for you, then 8 uses of a 1 minute ability.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Freebooter main, lvl 11:

View attachment 11319

Uses bane weapons where appropriate for big damage spikes but default Glaive does fine too. Reach is nice with Great Cleave.

Glad its working out for you. Freebooter is a great class, if not necessarily main character material for me.
Personally not a fan of Glaives, though. Too few crits. Methinks you may need to get a hold of the Serpent Prince Fauchard.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Max level I got to btw is 19 in 6 ppl party (pitax checks and siroket passed). But I missed at minimum Valerie quest line since I just killed paladins cause fuck them. Was about 2/3 to 20 during final fight. That's why I am missing ~15 damage from Wail of Banshee as I am missing 1 level from AT and 1 from not being level 20. As necro you actually want to stay pure and not engage into sneak since sneak is +1d6 but level is +10 for both Finger and Wail. Maximum will be around 410-415 due to random rolls on sneak.

This is enough to one-shot Unfair Wild Hunt.

The DC is also pretty ridicilous - in fact i'd say it's higher than Evocation (or close if you use rod and Fiery Body which provides +1 to fire spells). That is because cloak, rod +2 etc. stack it close to 40. And necro is a lot easier to stack because you get rod of fear and cloak of sold souls fairly early. I wasn't even evil to use Profane staff and due to Frightening Aspect WH would only pass against necromancy on 19 or 20 or so.
well actually i guess it's same since you can take elemental focus fire. But fire gets cut by resists way too often. Finger of Death, on the other hand, works perfectly fine on almost anything but rare instance of death magic immunity (like Vildaravns), one-shotting fey, will o wisps, all that annoying garbage immune to elements or having high reflex, etc. and you don't even need much preparation or rushing in to cast your stormbolts through rod - a simple empower and invis works just fine.

and of course, necromancy banhammers 2 worst schools while keeping best ones so I did have my Stormbolts, Hellfire ray, and applied them when needed. I'd say for arcane casters, evil necromancer/at is at fine place and provides fun playthrough till the end.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane

Yup, the XP rewards for skill checks were batshit insane at later parts in the release version, but instead of nerfing those and increasing rewards for monsters and quests, they introduced more uber high skill checks. You'll be able to get even more XP than that in total in Pitax tavern if you beat all Diplomacy/Intimidate checks.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Max level I got to btw is 19 in 6 ppl party (pitax checks and siroket passed). But I missed at minimum Valerie quest line since I just killed paladins cause fuck them. Was about 2/3 to 20 during final fight. That's why I am missing ~15 damage from Wail of Banshee as I am missing 1 level from AT and 1 from not being level 20. As necro you actually want to stay pure and not engage into sneak since sneak is +1d6 but level is +10 for both Finger and Wail. Maximum will be around 410-415 due to random rolls on sneak.

That's because you didn't use the "Only skill user gets experience from skills" - at least in Pitax tavern and Middle of Nowhere.

I used this option throughout the game and was level 20 in full 6-man party before Pitax Palace. In HatEoT the rest of the party level-matches the main character anyway when they rejoin.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Obviously, cause I do not use degenerate things. that was the playthrough rule, I didn't even pick fast bombs until very end of the game or deadly earth etc.

btw while kinetics are broken as fug at least in TB mode they only do 2-3 times less spike damage than AT because damage doesn't tick so quickly - you only get 1 tick per turn and it ticks on every kinetic new turn.

of course they are still broken but RTwP is what makes them truly broken. their damage should be literally cut in half in real time.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
You guys posting these 150-300dmg screenshots, which are nice, but what are you actually trying to show? Haplo pretty much showed everyone how a buffed Sword Saint can easily outdamage everyone, my designated tank SS (Monk1/Pal2/SSx) have his saves at +30, AC 70+, and a few days ago killed Ithuliak during the first round at lvl 15 (didn't even have greater vital strike at that point!) And can pull these things off basically anytime, all the while tanking both magic and physical.

Thank you for the praise.

Yeah, Sword Saints are the best tanks in the game and, at the same time, also heavy damage-dealers and boss (single target) killers (need some luck with crits for it to actually be 1HKO, though).

At the same time, other classes bring other great stuff to the table. Casters can Crowd Control and also, if built properly, one-shot crowds, like Shadenaut has shown.

Vital Strike is cool and provides some cool vow moments when the stars align and you crit at the right time, but its certainly not the best Standard action a character can make.
This is particularly apparent in the Turn Based mod, where Standard actions really matter (and full attacks matter less - unless ranged).
Many spells can often be more potent. Against a nice group, Great Cleave can be very nice. Kineticist Blade Whirlwind is made of pure win.
Lastly barbarian Pounce Charge can often be a more damaging option.

Plus there's the whole support and party play angle other classes bring to the table (like the Freebooter or Bard).

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Casters can Crowd Control and also, if built properly, one-shot crowds
And bosses.

I mean, with Hellfire ray we're looking at what, 45*6x1.5+sneak and quickened with just level 6 rod that's 1000 damage/turn without extra dice damage from evoker or robe.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, its 10 more at level 20, actually. Plus 3 DR Rage Powers for a total of 16. And I believe armor DR also stacks, so something like 20 is possible, I think.
If you can also get 50% Fortification (for example from 4 Vivi with 2x Preserve Organs) and 18 DR, it could be decently durable.
Would I want to rely on it? Well, probably not. But its not very bad, I guess.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Casters can Crowd Control and also, if built properly, one-shot crowds
And bosses.

I mean, with Hellfire ray we're looking at what, 45*6x1.5+sneak and quickened with just level 6 rod that's 1000 damage/turn without extra dice damage from evoker or robe.

Yeah, of course, they can snipe bosses too. Sometimes that Quicken would be better served for True Strike, though.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That DR would keep you in battle in combination with decent armor class about as long as standard high AC characters. It does not change much vs 120 damage crits from undead giants but works vs everything else. Also it works well in combination with high life a barbarian can achieve.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Just wait until you get to the port.
Freebooter main, lvl 11:

View attachment 11319

Uses bane weapons where appropriate for big damage spikes but default Glaive does fine too. Reach is nice with Great Cleave.

Glad its working out for you. Freebooter is a great class, if not necessarily main character material for me.
Personally not a fan of Glaives, though. Too few crits. Methinks you may need to get a hold of the Serpent Prince Fauchard.

She’s only lvl 11 there Hap. MC is good for have to have classes since it gives you more flexibility to slot companions in and out. Reg is along for that pic because his Technic cave is nearby, for instance.

She doesn’t want an exotic because she already has martial proficiency and wants to use all the bane weapons instead. Her default is glaive because she has great cleave and combat reflexes.

Desiderius

Patron
Vital Strike is cool and provides some cool vow moments when the stars align and you crit at the right time, but its certainly not the best Standard action a character can make.

It beats a standard attack, and by enough when leaded and enlarged that it’s worth it. She has great cleave too. And dreadful carnage. At level eleven.

Rangers can get it done.

Desiderius

Patron
That DR would keep you in battle in combination with decent armor class about as long as standard high AC characters. It does not change much vs 120 damage crits from undead giants but works vs everything else. Also it works well in combination with high life a barbarian can achieve.

If you stack it right ends up cancelling a good bit of the double damage from unfair, and when it doesn’t you can burn some other resources. This game is about making regular fights smooth since there are so many.

That's because you didn't use the "Only skill user gets experience from skills" - at least in Pitax tavern and Middle of Nowhere.

I used this option throughout the game and was level 20 in full 6-man party before Pitax Palace. In HatEoT the rest of the party level-matches the main character anyway when they rejoin.

Meh. I like having better companions for the rest of the game. I’m done gaming experience by level three.

skaraher

Cipher
On my paladin playthrough i reached level 20 just after killing the forefather, so just before final vignette. Did all armag and pitax checks and tenebrous depths, skipped a lot of random encounters but not sure they would have made a difference as XP is exponential.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

If you stack it right ends up cancelling a good bit of the double damage from unfair, and when it doesn’t you can burn some other resources. This game is about making regular fights smooth since there are so many.

Meh. I like having better companions for the rest of the game. I’m done gaming experience by level three.

They were usually ~1 to 1,5 level behind until Pitax. Hardly a major difference.

Desiderius

Patron
Obviously, cause I do not use degenerate things. that was the playthrough rule, I didn't even pick fast bombs until very end of the game or deadly earth etc.

btw while kinetics are broken as fug at least in TB mode they only do 2-3 times less spike damage than AT because damage doesn't tick so quickly - you only get 1 tick per turn and it ticks on every kinetic new turn.

of course they are still broken but RTwP is what makes them truly broken. their damage should be literally cut in half in real time.

The poison monsters
You guys posting these 150-300dmg screenshots, which are nice, but what are you actually trying to show? Haplo pretty much showed everyone how a buffed Sword Saint can easily outdamage everyone, my designated tank SS (Monk1/Pal2/SSx) have his saves at +30, AC 70+, and a few days ago killed Ithuliak during the first round at lvl 15 (didn't even have greater vital strike at that point!) And can pull these things off basically anytime, all the while tanking both magic and physical.

I was showing that a freebooter could still be a good damage dealer. That toon is using move actions to help the team and standard to do decent damage on her own. Pic from lvl 11.

The Crusader/Flamewarden pics were referring to a conversation a few days ago where people were saying Crusader shield-basher was subpar. The Flamewarden build is mostly a joke because the class doesn’t really do anything. Crusader at least lets you make a good basher with fast spell progression.

Yeah, I followed the discussion and your build seems to working fine for you even though it is not my cup of tea, I personally would feel somewhat underwhelming to give the best 1-handed weapon to divine caster with lower BAB but I'm happy you enjoy it mate :)
(btw how do you guys post screenshots it doesnt seem to work for me, either by embedding or copying....)

Two reasons:

(1) Martial weapon proficiency classes can use martial weapons. The second most scarce resource in this game is feats (the first is levels, which is why vivi splash is hot garbage - stats are cheap), so I save exotics for non-martials who need them, which leads into the second point...

(3) Every toon needs to carry their weight in regular (not per rest) damage dealing. My builds use team synergy to minimize rest, both to keep up food buffs and to maximize kingdom performance over the course of the game.

7 attacks at +50 to hit is plenty of BAB.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

They were usually ~1 to 1,5 level behind until Pitax. Hardly a major difference.

It’s enough to be annoying. Every level in this game is gold - it’s what makes it a great game. I’m about team stuff, not soloing with five nose-pickers.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
pretty short its fucking 1 minute but takes paladins animation to activate
retardo designed this

Eight uses at one minute each doesn’t seem like much but it’s like 80 rounds of rage (no UI issues but annoying fatigue instead). That’s why I hate non-lingering round abilities.

It certainly is NOT the same. The Flamewarden ability wastes its timer between combats. Meanwhile Barb Rage (and Bard songs) are only active during actual combat rounds. You can even delay triggering it while you buff/mark enemies/do other stuff. So in practice those 30++ Rage rounds will work much better for you, then 8 uses of a 1 minute ability.

In general I don’t disagree - Flamewarden ability is borked, but rage isn’t so hot either. Bard songs have lingering. I’m done with rage and steadfast stance. Way too short for what you get.

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
And willingly miss out on team-wide bonuses from Reckless Stance stackable with Bard Song? Rage is even easier to manage than Bards - it is switched off when fight is over and with Heart of Ira could be left on auto-cast without any need for micro-ing it. With most fights being 1-2 turns long at levels 10+ it will last for whole floors in the dungeons.

AC penalty could be big no for some, but I've never cared about AC even on Unfair.

Desiderius

Patron
And willingly miss out on team-wide bonuses from Reckless Stance stackable with Bard Song? Rage is even easier to manage than Bards - it is switched off when fight is over and with Heart of Ira could be left on auto-cast without any need for micro-ing it. With most fights being 1-2 turns long at levels 10+ it will last for whole floors in the dungeons.

AC penalty could be big no for some, but I've never cared about AC even on Unfair.

Sounds like something I’ll need to try. I’ve tried every other build on Amiri but Barb.

Desiderius

Patron
Edit screenshots with a paint program then save as jpeg for upload.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom